Motorized Scooters Keep Your Fat Kid Fat

Karyn Bryant: Scootering down the sidewalk the other day, my 3-year-old said, "I'm getting great exercise, Mommy!" She was so proud of herself because she already knows how important it is to be active and healthy. She was even more excited when she saw another little girl cruising the neighborhood, too. I was horrified. Why? Because that pudgy second-grader was riding a motorized scooter. WTH?

kids on scooter
This is something I just can't wrap my brain around. Fat children, who have no legitimate excuse for being fat, should not have motorized scooters or bikes. Period. You're supposed to move your body when you play! Isn't that the point? What good is a motorized anything to a child who needs to get active? A motor on a youngster's scooter tells the child that it's OK to be lazy, and it's not.

I was chunky growing up even though I played a lot of sports (because I love cheese and I swallowed rejection), so I know what that's like. It sucks. It would have sucked more though if my parents said, "That's cool. Be a fat ass. Here's a bike with a motor on it, which will pretty much guarantee you'll stay heavy and lazy through the important years when your body is developing." Guess what? I'm almost positive that I heard the motorized scooter's wail say just that as the plus-sized grammar-schooler blew past us.

I'm mad that something like this even exists, but since people are demanding it, toy makers are supplying. I'm not talking about older kids -- I get that tweeners and teens might enjoy the ride -- but why are people enabling their young children in such destructive behavior? This is just so tragic because it's completely avoidable. Please stop buying these things!

By the way, for you motor-scooter-buying parents of husky little ones: the last time I checked, candy bars, soda, and junk food were also avoidable.

next: Kelly Rutherford Says Ex Halts Breast Milk
ThatGuy September 25, 2009, 6:28 AM

Parents watching their children’s weight is the least of their problems…

Why don’t we start with something simple, like teaching respect and discipline?

I say break out the belt again. Plus, they’ll lose weight running from the beating.

dean September 25, 2009, 8:24 AM

Amen! In our neighborhood we have a fat second grader who rides her scooter to the store and buys honey buns. No joke.

Anonymous September 25, 2009, 9:59 AM

My nephew got one for his birthday, he’s seven and soooo skinny. I guess just the fat kids can’t play…its not his fault he’s skinny…

chris September 25, 2009, 10:06 AM

I get your point but why sooo mean about it?

K September 25, 2009, 11:58 AM

Wow.. pretty cruel people.. My 2nd grade daughter is in the 95th percentile for height and weight, and doesn’t have a motorized scooter. We don’t let her drink pop, or that much candy. She plays soccer during half the year and is super good, she swims everyday of the summer including laps (Cause she wants to), she takes dance class and is in Basketball. She rides her bike, she rides her non motorized scooter and is only allowed an hour to hour and half of t.v. per day (If that). She isn’t small…. So I guess people like you automatically assume if a child is big they are being stuffed full of junk food and not excercising ??? WTH.. I tend to side with what my doctor tells me. Which is that my daughter is healthy. Sure she doesn’t fit the skinny little petite profile that apparantly you are teaching your kid to want. We are teaching our daughter healthy ways. And then someone like you comes along and passes judgement… It’s all because of your own demons too, since you use to be fat and you use to use food as an emotional crutch.. And seriously to come to such a conclusion off of one toy a kid has is beyond me. You know what else… my other daughter is skinny as a bean pole. She lives in the same house and does mostly the same activities her older sister does, including the same meals and the same snacks. Explain that one…

Anonymous September 25, 2009, 2:35 PM

Wow everyone has something to say about nothing. I am going to stop following momlogic. These articles are crap.

Kare September 25, 2009, 7:08 PM

Hey Anonymous… Did you include yourself in your statement about “everyone”? LOL.. Whatever.. I like MomLogic..

Anonymous September 26, 2009, 3:06 PM

Today alot of kids are beef wagons.

Anonymous September 27, 2009, 9:38 PM

beefy boys and gutty girls

That Guy September 28, 2009, 9:15 AM

> You know what else… my other daughter is skinny as a bean pole. She lives in the same house and does mostly the same activities her older sister does, including the same meals and the same snacks. Explain that one…

OK… you cheated with a skinny guy.

kid scooter November 21, 2009, 1:02 AM

being fat sometimes means having a healthy body..if you want your child to be in normal size,hehe,you just need to give them proper diet.and for me riding to the scooter is one of the best exercise for your child..

kid scooter November 21, 2009, 1:17 AM

being fat meaning healthy body..and the scooter help your child to be exercise..and if you want your kid to have a normal size..teach him the proper diet,

credit score December 15, 2010, 8:00 AM

I just want to emphasize the good work on this blog, has excellent views and a clear vision of what you are looking for.

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 8:36 AM

Great site. Nice reading. I’ve just got a single point to offer about funny shirts.

Buford Faykosh February 6, 2011, 5:31 PM

Great write-up, I am regular visitor of one’s web site, maintain up the nice operate, and It’s going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.