Parents: Preschool's Biggest Problem

This year, well over one million American 4-year-olds will head out for their first day of preschool, the highest enrollment in U.S. history. The kids? Ecstatic. The parents? Not so much.

sad parent watching child go to preschool

Brett Berk: As the director of a New York City early childhood center, I saw firsthand the difficulties young kids can face in making this transition. It's a major change for them, as foreign as traveling to outer space. But unlike in space, in preschool, everyone can hear you scream. Each fall, we comforted kids who shrieked in terror when confronted with the classroom's controlled chaos. Or those who cried steadily, clinging to their lunch boxes and backpacks, proud of their new gear, but puzzled by the strange place they'd been left in to use it.

Even trickier was helping the parents deal with their emotional tumult. Phone calls reassured fretful fathers that the daughter they'd "abandoned" was now gleefully pummeling Play-Doh. Detailed daily reports -- Malika drew an M! Rafael used the toilet! -- helped back-to-work moms vanquish their guilt at missing milestones. But most problematic were the parents of kids who adjusted too easily, starting school like a racehorse: Bang. Bye!

"Does he ever ... mention me during the day?" these needy moms would ask at pickup, waiting expectantly for their busy child to notice their presence. "She can't sleep some nights she's so eager to get here."

I'd explain that school is kids' first experience with something totally their own, a peer-based world separate from their family. "Your child needs these independent interactions in order to develop their sense of self. Don't worry, you'll always be the most important person in their life."

"We'd be more likely to believe that," the moms would say, "if they'd stop begging us to bring them here every weekend."

"If you love somebody," I'd say with mocking sincerity -- my hallmark, "set them free. I know Sting sang it. But it's still the solution."

The solution is not -- as these moms attempted -- to instigate tearful conflicts with your daughter, just so you can comfort her. Or to remind your son about all the war toys you've bought him but which his teacher won't allow in school. Or to linger at drop-off, saying so many goodbyes that your twins implode in a transitional overload.

This, I'd think to myself, is how the spores of psychoses are sown.

I'd eventually confer with these intransigent parents. "Remember the joy and pride you felt on first getting something of your own?" I'd ask. "A nickel, a hairbrush, a gerbil? School -- this school -- is like that for your kid. Let them revel in it. And you revel in beginning your own new thing too: watching your children become themselves."

next: Tisha Campbell-Martin Welcomes Second Son
Pamala September 9, 2009, 9:44 AM

I dropped my daughter off at school today for her second day of school and still haven’t felt that need to cry or be sad she’s there. I almost thought I was odd that I wasn’t experiencing the emotions many of my mom friends were. Some cried for weeks before at the thought of their child going to school. I see it as a milestone, like learning to walk, and she’s off learning and I’m going to return to work and she’ll have tons of fun there and is well taken care of.

Hollee Temple September 9, 2009, 7:18 PM

My kids run into their schools, and my 4-year-old has to be dragged off the playground. I think it says that we’re doing something right, and that their teachers are, too. It’s hard to let go, but I (try) to choose to celebrate this milestones. In my view, it’s just gotten better every year!

Olympia Sajovic December 2, 2010, 8:01 PM

Like the saying goes, from the guru’s head there aren’t many options, however , for a person with a beginner’s brain, the world is open up.

Linnea Waskey December 3, 2010, 11:10 AM

I thought this was definitely a great and useful article. Having said that I’m having difficulty getting this website to display the right way with the chrome web browser, any kind of thought for what might be the problem??

Yvonne Dvorsky December 13, 2010, 10:56 PM

Hello there I just came upon your website right from yahoo and I just simply wanted to tell you just what a amazing read this was in fact! But nevertheless, I am looking to add your Rss but Im having problems finding it.

smirnoff vodka February 8, 2011, 10:20 AM

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..extra wait .. …

Margeret Huizar February 14, 2011, 10:10 AM

The saying goes, for the expert’s thoughts there aren’t many alternatives, however , for someone possessing a novice’s mind, the entire world is open up.

Ashleigh Crow March 2, 2011, 6:43 AM

I can’t believe exactly how much on this I didn’t fully understand. Appreciate your giving out this post. I will be certain to check back right here to find out if you have any brand new information.

Forum grossesse March 5, 2011, 4:48 PM

An impressive share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing slightly analysis on this. And he in fact purchased me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying more on this topic. If doable, as you turn into expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with extra details? It’s extremely useful for me. Huge thumb up for this weblog submit!

3 peaks challenge March 7, 2011, 3:14 PM

A really good set of info which I will be certainly coming back to read again. Thanks very much to all those who contribute.

louis vuitton Handbags May 7, 2011, 12:07 PM

I undoubtedly did not know that. Learnt some thing new today! Thanks for that.