Elected Officials: Attack the Black Prez!

One mom has wondered if the race talk is so passé -- until now.

barack obama attacked by elected officials

Kimberly Seals Allers: I take a lot of heat on momlogic when I talk about issues regarding race. I mean a lot of heat. People have declared that our society is past race, and that I'm raising issues that don't exist. At one point, I even wondered myself if I was being overly sensitive.

Then, things like the recent racial attacks on President Obama happen and I'm snapped right back to reality. For example, take Idaho gubernatorial hopeful Rex Rammell, who "joked" about buying a license to hunt President Obama -- and then refused to apologize. This is downright disrespectful, extremely irresponsible, and unpatriotic for all those flag-waving folks who once likened speaking against the president to quasi-Communism. Now speaking against the president is becoming a popular sport. You gotta love the double standard. I won't even mention that it is a federal felony to talk about assassinating the President of the United States. But where is the outcry? Are any Republican leaders calling for some sort of censure for this guy?

It seems like just yesterday that every comment, credential, associate, or handwritten school note of Barack Obama's or Michelle Obama's was being overly scrutinized and overly criticized for any tinge of anti-Americanism. But calling for a hunting of the President gets to be passed off as a joke. Imagine if the tables were turned. Again, the double standards in this country astound me.

Meanwhile, Rep. Lynn Jenkins (R-Kans.) expressed her wish that the Republican Party would find a "great white hope" to take on the president in the next election. And critics of Obama's health care reform have taken to racial attacks -- and not just at town hall meetings. One recent report showed a group of California protesters waving signs calling the president a black supremacist and suggesting he's a Nazi disciple. WTF people? WTF?

I love free speech as much as anyone (and if you want to criticize the president's policies, by all means, criticize the president's policies) -- that's what makes this country great. But let's leave race out of it, shall we? After all, isn't that what you've been telling me to do?! Looks like you really should have been telling your elected officials. I hope all of you give your local politicians -- who have the power to speak out against their reckless colleagues -- the same heat you give me.

next: Michelle Duggar: Medical Miracle?
Anonymous September 3, 2009, 3:41 AM

Let me just say that I have been a democrat since I was able to vote over 20 years ago and I can say that this is one man that I can’t stand. I would like to know where is your rant about Obama and “his people” calling protestors to his health care “Unamerican, rednecks, uneducated and terrorist” I used to be on the fence about him but not any longer. This is man who want to control everyone and everything around him. Almost every person he has in his cabinet and who are “czars” have past issues about them. In february, his “Green Czar” actually called Republicans “Assholes” at a conference. Black or White - Democrat or Republican - this man is destroying America!!!!

Samantha September 3, 2009, 5:46 AM

I think everyone has tiptoed around President Obama more than we have any other president. President Bush was burned in effigy and repeatedly bashed in the media. I bet you didn’t speak out on that! How do you feel about the White House trying to solicit info from private people on the emails they recieve? Have you read the health care bill? Do you realize how high taxes will be to support his spending? How about YOU stop playing the race card annd realize the American people(black, white and every color in between) don’t like his policies, and his heavy handed authority over a free govt!

Anonymous September 3, 2009, 6:18 AM

One of the cool things about Obama is despite the actual “color” of his skin, he was born of both black and white families. So if anything, you would think people would not be racist since he is the epitome of two different cultures coming together.

April September 3, 2009, 6:40 AM

I don’t care if he came out of the womb red, white, and blue with an american eagle in one hand. The guy’s a socialist. And that’s why I don’t like him.

My 80+ year old grandfather voted for the man and this was the same guy who wouldn’t let my mom listen to any black music in the 60’s. Doesn’t that prove a little that racism is dying? I think it still lives on because of people like you who keep bringing it up.

Rachel September 3, 2009, 7:35 AM

I do agree that making threats against the president - even jokingly - is out of line. Speaking out against his policies and the ideals he represents is perfectly acceptable. I think what you are seeing now, right or wrong, with some is a push back. People are getting sick and tired of the race baiting. Tired of the joke that is affirmative action (please explain how that’s not racist). Just tired of it.

Stacey- ann September 3, 2009, 7:53 AM

Kimberly Seals Allers I totally agree with u 100%….what alot of people still up to this day fail to understand the main issue, which is rasism is still going on this very day.

Rachel September 3, 2009, 8:29 AM

Stacey-Ann, I agree with you. Racism does still exist to this day - on both sides of the coin. African Americans have just as much of a hand in the continual perpetuation of racism as anyone else.

Kelly September 3, 2009, 10:38 AM

It is true that there were some comparisons made between Bush and Nazi Germany, and that some crazies burned Bush in effigy, but as I recall, people were rightly angry and there was public outcry demanding those things be stopped. What planet are you people living on? In no way did any of the criticism of Bush resemble the criticism of Obama, in rhetoric or volume. Kimberly is right — where is the outcry now? All I hear are a lot of right-wing ideologues urging this kind of hate talk on. Obama has been, since the campaign, called a “terrorist” (read: Arab — since when are all Arabs terrorists? Excuse me, but how is that NOT racist? Not to mention the fact that it’s not remotely true of Obama) and a “traitor” (for what? Wanting to help the lower class in this country, unlike Bush, who catered to the wealthy?). The right does not seem to be concerned with truth. They believe everything their leaders (Rush Limbaugh, Fox News) tell them to believe. People go to Obama’s town hall meetings with guns. They hold posters of his face marred by a Nazi mustache. When the truth is that Obama has done far more than Bush ever did to reach across the aisle. He is YOUR president. His health care policy is aimed at helping the very people who claim to hate him — have THEY read the health care bill? I don’t think so. Have you already forgotten the shooting in D.C. at the Holocaust memorial? Racism, anyone? What about the two skinheads arrested for plotting to assassinate Obama? Racism, anyone? The mood in this country is frightening, and it is exactly because of the hate and ignorance and fear and racist talk coming out of the right — anybody can listen to Rush Limbaugh or Fox News and figure that out. Check your conscience, people.

chris September 3, 2009, 11:05 AM

Kelly, The Obama people have called me a “terrorist” just because I choose to use my 1st amendment right and speak out against him and his policies. Is that fair??? Oh and my the way, I’m a democrat.

Tom September 3, 2009, 11:24 AM

Thank you Kelly and thank you Kimberly for providing well-thought-out comments to an ironically emerging problem.

Let’s be clear on a few things: The United States has a long long history of racism that does not disappear just because we say so. Slavery was LEGAL until only 147 years ago - LEGAL. I went to high school in the ’70s in Maryland. I saw before my very eyes several race-related “riots” break out in my years there. I’m talking only 30 years ago.

Racism is still very much alive in the U.S. It’s just that it can no longer be overt. But, trust me, private chatter in this country is unmistakably racist. It’s dangerous to deny it, because to deny allows what is happening: the apparent rise of OVERT racism. It will get worse. Sorry, but I’ve seen it and am seeing it. I get a kick out of the news reports that gun sales have skyrocketed since Obama was elected because they conclude that it’s because of peoples fear that the new administration will crack down on gun rights. Nope, sorry — I can tell you it’s because those (white) people are afraid of the rise of the black man.

And that is what is driving all this insane and bizarre talk around health care. My god, our boys are dying in Afghanistan and Iraq in an expensive war started by Bush, and we’re caught up in health care reform that is designed solely to improve the lives of every American?

Bizarre yes, but not surprising. The Republicans have only one goal, always, and that is to win. WIN. At all costs.

Yes, I’m a Democrat and I voted for Barack Obama. I did not like Bush, but I have also have great respect for the office of the presidency, and when that office needed my support, I gave it. We still put out our flag every day. I am not ready to give up on my country.

dean September 3, 2009, 11:31 AM

The race issue is still an issue because people keep bringing it up.

chris September 3, 2009, 11:33 AM

Tom, as one of “those” white people I can tell you that I don’t own a gun nor am I afraid of the “rise of the black man”. With these two comments alone, I can tell that you are racist against white people but I guess somehow thats okay? As I stated before whether Obama was black or white (funny…he is actually both) or democrat or republican, he had a been really bad decision since he has been in office.

Tom September 3, 2009, 11:36 AM

Chris, cut it out. Really? The Obama administration called you a “terrorist” for speaking out against him and his policies. I’d love to hear the context, that sounds far fetched. BTW, and this is for everyone, the Constitution is still the most powerful and wonderful governing document ever conceived. It is more powerful than any single government branch, including the presidency. This is why, for instance, Bush was found in fault for allowing non-warrant wiretapping of millions of American citizens. This is why also, for you “socialist under every bed” folks, a health care bill can’t possibly ever include anything that would affect your rights as an American. All I ask is stop it with the uninformed conspiracy thinking; don’t get mad, get educated.

Anonymous September 3, 2009, 1:09 PM

blah blah blah…

Stacey- ann September 3, 2009, 3:07 PM

Dean its being brought up because there are STILL circumstances in which rasism occurs..maybe u havent been treated differently for the color of your skin but alot of us have…an no not just african americans experience rasism..other ethnicities in AMERICA has experience rasism…pls judge from anothers point of view!

Tina September 3, 2009, 3:17 PM

The race issue is still an issue because people keep bringing it up.

- dean

No the race issue isnt still an issue because people bring it up. Its an issue when racism still cotinues.

ame i. September 3, 2009, 4:30 PM

I agree with the tip-toe comment.
I also agree with my very wise grandmother. She often said that stupid has nothing to do with skin color or a person’s “bank balance”.

Monica September 3, 2009, 5:09 PM

Race is not a issue because black people keep bring it up, its an issue because racist people keep opening their mouths and spewing hate. If they just keep their mouth shut and treat people like their suppose to be treated then blacks wouldn’t have anything to say. But it doesn’t matter anyhow, there will always and have always been racism and everyone will just have to get used to it.

Secondly, everyone is on Obama’s back like white on rice and he hasn’t been in office a year. He is not going to solve everything in a flash. Things like these take time. This health care idea may seem like a problem to some but heck it may be a heck lot better than what we already have. No one else has come up with anything better. And no matter how it turns out everyone will not be satisfied. If you help the rich the poor get upset and taken advantage of and if you help the poor the rich get mad because they have to spend more money. I think what most people are mad about is the fact that the Bush administration left a whole lot of mess for Obama to clean up and for most people he is not cleaning it up fast enough. Well, darn it if you have such good ideas then you run for president. Then you tell us how fast you can clean up eight years of non sense! Let the man do what he does, take on some new ideas and if you don’t like it then don’t re-elect him in 2012.

LuLubelle September 3, 2009, 7:15 PM

Can’t we all just get along? We are Americans all.

chris September 4, 2009, 3:00 AM

As for as racism is concerned I have only to say - VAN JONES - this man was hired by Obama to be the “green czar”. If you look this guy up you with see that he is a proud avowed communist, is a member of a group called racial storm, has been a member of the Black Nationalist group and claims that the “whites are poisioning minorities communities. Where is the outrage from the black communty about someone this racist being held in such a high postition in the Obama cabinet???? Or does it not matter when the racism is toward whites?? As far as I’m concern, it is reason like this that help keep resent going between the two races.