Restaurant Calls Toddler a 'Little F*****'

So much for family-friendly: a waiter at a restaurant in Britain lashes out at a 2-year-old.

restaurant

Dining with small children is stressful. You've got a short window of time before kids get grumpy, antsy, bored, and start trashing the place. Kids at restaurants are like ticking time bombs.

A family in England had one such harrowing experience, but it was their waiter who ended up ruining their meal. Craig and Kimberley Cartin dined at a Mexican restaurant in West Yorkshire with their two-year-old, Molly. When they received the bill, they saw "Thank you little f*****" at the bottom of the itemized list.

Apparently their server at the recently opened Cactus Joe's was fed up with the disruptive behavior of little Molly, even though the family was seated in the advertised "kids' zone."

"Molly was a bit grumbly, a bit moany, but her behavior certainly wasn't terrible -- so this was just uncalled for. Presumably they meant to delete it before printing, but it's still no excuse," Craig told the Daily Mail

We've all been there -- but can you imagine receiving this unsolicited commentary at the end of the meal?

next: Just Love Each Other!
Anonymous September 15, 2009, 10:11 AM

I have kids, and if they are misbehaving in a restaurant, we’ll get our food to go! NOBODY who goes out to eat should have to deal with other people’s bratty kids. It’s not fair to them.

Anonymous September 15, 2009, 10:19 AM

I think its funny…as parents we seem to think our kids aren’t being “that bad” but I’m sure a lot of other people who don’t love our kids or think they’re that cute would disagree. I’m not even sure that he said it about the kid maybe he was talking about the parents.

Tiffany September 15, 2009, 11:13 AM

Waiters need to understand that it’s part of the job (expecially if the guys works in a family friendly restaurant). But I do believe it’s the parent’s job to entertain AND clean up after your own children. My husband & and I bring a bag full of coloring books, crayons, & toys to a restaurant. Our daughter never gets the chance to be bored! We also leave an extra tip for the waiter that accomodates to our child’s needs. We love going to a restaurant where a waiter/waitress serves our child BEFORE our meal…even if it’s just bread.

jo September 15, 2009, 11:17 AM

thats awesome!

vanessa September 15, 2009, 11:39 AM

I have been a waitress, and well, in this situation, id like to know what the child was doing. Ive had kids who were angels, ones who ran amok while the parents acted like I was a babysitter, and others in between. Surprisingly, the easier the kids were to care for, the better the tip. OH and please, sto0p treating the restaurant like its your personal maid service!! Leaving dirty diapers behind, or simply trashing the table, is terrible.

Anonymous September 15, 2009, 11:44 AM

the parents are horrible.

kellyk September 15, 2009, 12:56 PM

I find that hysterical! Listen I know when my kid is being a brat. And it happens sometimes, we get our food to go if he is. From the list it looks like this child might have taken a cue from the parents and been a little too demanding. It’s still funny!

Monica September 15, 2009, 1:36 PM

These people were sitting in a kid friendly zone. Restaurants sometimes seat families with children in one area. And try to put people without children in another, even if they don’t have a “kid zone”. I agree if it gets out of hand then always pick up and go. But there is not an excuse for someone to say that to a little child or make a comment like that on a receipt. I am just noticing these days that people are having short fuses with children. And you know what, I think it has less to do with the child and more to do with the fact that people are dealing with stressful times. They are just taking things out on the innocent victim who can’t defend themselves. And that’s shameful.

Pamala September 15, 2009, 1:36 PM

They were seated in the kids section. Perhaps this waitress shouldn’t be working that section.

MotherNature September 15, 2009, 2:58 PM

It’s simple. Wait staff need to get the kids food out first. Any waiter/waitress knows this that has any sense in their head and experience. As for kids being the only ones disruptive while dinning out. What about the loud and obnoxious adults? Should they be forced to get their food to go? Personally I say of you are over the age of 18 and you can’t go out into public and act respectfully you should keep your a$$ at home! If I can hear you from my table, you’re too loud. If your phone rings constantly and I can hear every word you scream at the person who called, you’re too loud. If you reek of cigarette smoke, you’re nasty please shower! In other words, if you’re an adult, ACT LIKE ONE IN PUBLIC! And if you’re a restaurant staff who resorts to childish name calling, your better suited working at McDonald’s!

Anonymous September 15, 2009, 10:27 PM

I think it’s funny

Anonymous September 15, 2009, 10:33 PM

She probably was a litle f%#%$r

Nicole September 15, 2009, 11:32 PM

When I saw the title, I thought the waiter actually called the child little f***** verbally. Leaving the whole “when are kids out of hand and who’s problem is it” completely out of it, this really isn’t that bad. It may not have had anything to do with that table. It could have been a joke from one waiter to another over something and they thought the waiter would see before they printed the ticket and delete it. Who knows?

ame i. September 16, 2009, 1:50 PM

By the grace of the Lord (Thanks,God!) or just luck, my daughters didn’t act up in restaurants when they were small. Once they were big enough, we made sure to bring something to entertain them, a snack to tide them over or even a Happy Meal if they weren’t into the food. I never had anyone at a restaurant complain about this.
Granted, one of the parents should have taken the child outside if she was being bothersome & left the other parent to wait for their meal to be boxed up. Still, I think the f***** in question here is the server. He needs to grow up,learn the purpose of his job or go into another line of work so he doesn’t have to deal with children.

John R September 17, 2009, 2:37 PM

Being in the restaurant business, and showed this to a couple co-workers. One of them pointed out that the very well may not have been directed at the parents or the kid - you can see all the modifiers that the waiter had to put in on the check. Many places set their system up so they don’t print on the guest’s check… you just see “Steak”, not anything added onto it. Their system appears to actually print these messages, intended for the kitchen, on the check.

Now, after a lot of modifiers, some servers will put a message like “Sorry” or “Thank You” to the cooks who have to do it. And, in some cases, they’ll use terms like that (it’s more of a foxhole comraderie thing than actually trying to abuse the other person).

I think this may have been a case where the waiter called one of the cooks “little f******”, but it showed up on the check, and the guest assumed it was directed at them.

Dirnov October 1, 2009, 11:26 AM