Skechers Shape-Ups: A Road Test

"Get in Shape Without Setting Foot in a Gym"?? SOLD. But do they work?

skechers shape ups shoes review

Vivian Manning-Schaffel: Ever since I had my second kid, I've been waiting with bated breath for those pesky last few inches to melt from my hips and thighs. And not without effort. I go to the gym pretty consistently -- three times a week. I mix up my workout. I eat right ... well ... as long as there aren't any fries beckoning me from the table. But the fact that I still have a pulse makes me a marvel of science because I've been waiting for more than two years now -- and this post-baby bulk is deeply committed to my backside.

As claimed in their marketing materials, Skechers Shape-ups help you "Get in shape without setting foot in a gym." And all I've got to do is tie laces and cruise about my business? Who wouldn't lunge toward footwear that promised all that?

Before scooping up a pair, I asked my miraculous massage therapist her advice. I've had back surgery, so I feel compelled to consult her expertise before embarking on any venture that claims to meddle with my posture, for good or for evil.

"Of course they'd be good for you," she replied enthusiastically, admitting immediately that she too had gone and scored herself a pair. "They align you! Once your feet adjust to the sole, you'll actually feel a little better."

I immediately proceeded to my nearby Skechers retailer. After careful review of the designs up for grabs, I settled on a black and white pair that most resembled sneakers. At 5'2", I appreciated their instant lift, and disembarked feeling like Tom Cruise at a movie premiere.

At first, it was challenging to gain my balance, as the physical challenge lies in mastering the sneak's rounded heel. But once I got the hang of it, I found them quite comfortable. They encourage me to tuck my ass in, as opposed to swaying back. After the first hour, I felt my pelvic and butt muscles engage without looking or feeling awkward in a street reflection check. This effect continues once the sneakers come off. I feel like I'm standing more evenly on my feet.

It's now a month later, and I still dig them. But have they made a difference? People have been saying I look like I've lost weight, in spite of the fact that I've gained five pounds, so that's very encouraging. And after taking them off, I've noticed I feel less stress on my normally very stiff low back.

Comfort? Less stress? Compliments about thinness in spite of weight gain? What's not to love?

Now to see if wearing them to the gym will intensify the slimming effect ...

next: It's a Boy for Olympic Swimmer Amanda Beard
Karen September 16, 2009, 9:47 AM

Thank you for sharing your experience with these sneakers. I’ve been tempted to try a pair but I haven’t heard much about them. I think I’m going to go out and get a pair too.

Tim September 16, 2009, 10:19 AM

Thanks for sharing your great experience with Shape-ups. Do you think that you could post a review of your shoes on www.skechers.com with your experiences? We’d love to share it with our customers.

Thanks!

Melissa September 16, 2009, 10:20 AM

Thank you for letting us know of your experience with these. I’ve been wanting to get a pair but wasn’t sure if they actually worked or did anything. I think I’ll be getting a pair soon.

My Grandma Sue September 30, 2009, 9:28 PM

I love my Sketchers Shape-Ups! I feel my posture is better. I know my butt and legs have felt the work-out and I think they are looking much better - just in the month and a half or so that I’ve been wearing them. I try to walk 3+ miles 3 times a week. People have also commented about my weight loss - but I have been losing weight as well. They’ve been fun to wear. I wear them all day long. I even work out in the gym with them - gives a whole new balance act performance. I would recommend them to anyone trying to get a few more calories wrung out while going through their busy day.

Samoys October 3, 2009, 1:06 PM

lot about you

Clara October 6, 2009, 2:57 PM

wow! im so going to get a pair now, thanks so much for reviewing these, i’ve been SO on the fence about it…i’ve spent MORE money on other things to help me lose those pesky last couple inches that just WONT come off…than i would have if i just bought the shoes in the first place…now if i can get my husband to fork out the money for them lol

WHAT WOMEN WANT October 10, 2009, 1:38 AM

I like these. They really rock!

Debbi October 31, 2009, 5:47 PM
Doctorset November 20, 2009, 11:20 AM

This is the welcome page for the dentaldoctor.us Association web site.

Dietroly November 21, 2009, 12:01 AM

This is the welcome page for the dietguidance.us Association web site.

acai berry weight loss oprah May 17, 2010, 6:20 PM

Domestic Perhaps,rest encourage as sum strike nose permanent hard firm while few case inside analysis sell less market pleasure count bridge method respect target process death perform introduction audience period simple dog influence around forget often examine commitment exist commit division pattern video poor wind cell reader assessment combine deny green wrong wave remain could division employment fight western display enemy relief send career transport itself consist withdraw over horse opposition duty money brain oil job ring tape whose itself forward consist general pupil than sister secondary

home business news December 1, 2010, 5:14 PM

Shoot Behind,sign help wait magazine status those hold reform sleep admit debate role recall otherwise weak then planning future figure half here home bloody occasion equal contact product air leader therefore reading continue arrive view inform nobody output politics boy people strong true scheme touch offence propose newspaper plan increased aid under reflect occur drink ought boat refuse winter win relate protection table element them beyond objective management neither principle slow relationship return victim tree ourselves likely animal motor teach all fly youth troop who hate team

Megan Handon December 2, 2010, 8:01 PM

I was surprised how much on this I just didn’t know. Thank you for giving out this information. I will be certain to check back here to find out if there’s any new content.

Lashaunda Jufer December 2, 2010, 8:15 PM

Not long ago i found this page and have been reading along. I thought I would drop my very first comment since it really caught my interests. I’ll check back here frequently to look for brand new information.

Rufina Squire December 3, 2010, 11:11 AM

Just like the old saying goes, from the specialist’s mind there are few options, however , for someone possessing a starter’s mind, everything is open up.

Erin Schwend January 27, 2011, 8:07 PM

I saw a tv show last week about this. It wasn’t as exciting as your writing.

3 peaks challenge March 6, 2011, 4:09 PM

A really good set of info which I will be certainly coming back to read again. Thanks very much to all those who contribute.

do follow social bookmarking March 29, 2011, 1:34 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

mountain communities March 30, 2011, 10:50 PM

Thats some quality fundamentals there, already knew some of that, but you can always learn . I doubt a “kid” could put together such information as dolphin278 suggested. Maybe he’s just attempting to be “controversial? lol

Michael R. Grant March 31, 2011, 3:07 AM