Healthy Is Not a Bad Word, Kids!

Haylie Pomroy: Our kids are bombarded with junk food options every day. They see it in commercials, at some schools, maybe even in their lunches. I get a lot of referrals in my practice for childhood obesity, diabetes, or just picky eaters. With my own kids as well as with my clients' kids, I like to try to empower them with knowledge about foods that are healthy to choose.

girl eating chicken

Even when my kids were teeny tiny, I would talk to them about the impact food has on the body. I would say, "Gosh, they can run so fast or jump so high because they have eaten something healthy." Kids of all ages can begin to see the relationship between healthy choices and healthy bodies. My niece and nephew, pretty grown-up kids, were over the other day, getting ready to jump on the trampoline, and my nephew said to me, "Aunt Haylie, what foods can I eat to jump higher?" Here are a few great and healthy things to teach kids to look for in their food choices.

Proteins
Proteins form the building blocks that build the house we call our bodies. I talk a lot to kids about strong muscles, bones, hair, and teeth. When mine were little, sometimes we would take bites of healthy proteins at the dinner table and then I would have them see if it would make them jump higher or run faster or challenge them to arm wrestling. To this day, my son is very aware of how his protein intake plays a roll in his sports performance. Great foods that have tons of protein are organic chicken, turkey, dairy products, nuts and seeds, beans and legumes. I have a great list of protein-rich foods on my website, hayliepomroy.com.

Healthy Fats
With the fats, I always talk about brain power and good moods. The healthy fats are so important while kids are laying down so many new tracks neurologically in those ever-growing brains. We talk about smart lunches and study snacks in our house.

Pistachios, almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, avocados, and nut butters are some great healthy fat-based snacks. I had a diabetic client of mine e-mail me the other day. I began seeing him when he was eight, and he is now away at college. He was all fired up because he was taking a science class and he told his professor that he had already learned about how fats work on the brain way back when he was eight (insert proud tear here).

Natural Sugars
I like to talk to my kids about times when sugar can actually be good for you: when you get it in the form of "natural" sugars. For my kiddos, this is kind of a fun one because in many schools, teachers and staff are beginning to talk to kids about sugar being bad for them -- our schools don't even allow cupcakes or cookies at birthday parties anymore. My kids feel awfully smart when they say, "Well, my mom is bringing a ton of sugar to my party: fruit." Whole fruits contain lots and lots of this wonderful natural sugar! Whole fruits provide vital nutrients to keep up with kids' rapid rates of growth and development. I don't advocate a lot of fruit juices for kids, though, because in this form, the sugars become too concentrated. If you must do juice, I suggest you half it with water.

The other day, my daughter crawled up into my lap and said, "Mama, I want to stay little forever -- can I have some caffeine?" I just cracked up, it was so cute. I am sure somewhere along the way I had told her that drinking coffee would stunt her growth, and obviously she was listening!

next: For Love or Money
Stacy Unsicker November 18, 2010, 8:28 AM

All round I feel this really is a little something to contemplate but it surely may very well just be somewhat little bit of base. In my nation we needs to honer magnificent writers and I’m praising your submit as I do believe it will be rather good.

Shades Of Red Hair Color November 24, 2010, 11:48 PM

The Constitution gives every American the inalienable right to make a damn fool of himself.

Caralluma November 27, 2010, 10:33 AM

I’m wondering now if we can talk about your sites statistics - search volume, etc, I’m trying to sites I can buy adspace through - let me know if we can talk about pricing and whatnot. Cheers mate you’re doing a great job though.

buy valium December 1, 2010, 2:22 PM

Moving and powerful! Youve certainly got a way of reaching people that I havent seen very often. If most people wrote about this subject with the eloquence that you just did, Im sure people would do much more than just read, theyd act. Great stuff here. Please keep it up.

brahmin handbags outlet December 3, 2010, 9:31 AM

Terrific deliver the results! This can be the type of advice that need to be shared all-around the web. Shame on the engines like google for not positioning this submit higher!

plus size models December 3, 2010, 8:58 PM

Heya, I just hopped over to your web page through StumbleUpon. Not somthing I would generally browse, but I liked your thoughts none the less. Thanks for creating something well worth reading.

Adelia Canida December 5, 2010, 4:33 PM

It is the way this has been focused on that transmutation more so than any others.

Darby Zador December 8, 2010, 11:11 AM

I didn’t see a button anywhere but do you provide you with advertising? I’ve various blogs in linked niche and I’d wish to add my banner somwhere on your page.

easiest indoor plants December 10, 2010, 10:30 AM

Wonderful work! It is the sort of specifics that should be shared around the web. Shame to the search engines like google for not positioning this submit greater!

green tea diet December 11, 2010, 9:48 PM

interestingly post I feel happy to visit your site

David Shiraki December 16, 2010, 7:50 PM

excellent and I have been just talking over this specific subject, she is continuously attempting to prove me entirely wrong! I will present her this write-up and additionally rub it in a bit!

Monet Hirschfeld December 22, 2010, 5:52 PM

I had a first generation but I’m quite busy and barely have the time for.

Wai Dolgas December 23, 2010, 2:58 PM

Maybe you should ask common people if they would prefer or.

Maurine Maison December 24, 2010, 11:23 PM

That isn’t as obvious as it sounds.

Son Harkin December 26, 2010, 8:29 AM

I will cover that in my next article.

Maynard Malpass December 27, 2010, 4:16 AM

It’s really weird.

Clemente Eguchi December 29, 2010, 1:51 AM

Many of you sidekicks remember an installment I published a month or so ago with regard to.

Drusilla Braun December 29, 2010, 2:42 AM

Thanks for sharing.

de slabit January 3, 2011, 9:15 AM

I have been looking the google for such info and i wanted to thank you for this post. BTW, just off topic, how can i get a version of this theme? – Thank you

phen375 review January 6, 2011, 8:29 PM

Females in general usually are not looking to drop enormous levels of pounds generally. The majority of the women and men utilizing phen375 are simply seeking to drop Five to be able to Twenty-five weight on average and also usually its belly fat. The majority are healthy, go to the fitness center kind people. They only haven’t been in a position to drop body fat on their own tummy or even have reached the Plato. Belly fat issues normally commence to occur for women around the time associated with or right after child birth and later on in age before being menopausal. It appears to hit ladies although right now there hormonal levels are usually changing; it’s an ordinary procedure for lifestyle or perhaps is that? I am going to demonstrate the genuine excess fat stored in the particular stomach or even stomach area differs from the others and also the much more you’ve got than it the whores your own hormone discrepancy can be.