The Biggest Babies in the World

The average weight for newborn babies is 7 pounds, 1 ounce. Giant babies eat that stat for lunch. Check out seven of the world's biggest bundles of joy.

The World's Largest Babies

The fifth child for Marie Michel was one for the record books. Stephon Hendrix weighed in at 14 pounds, 13 ounces, and was born Sept. 13, 2006, in Norwich, Connecticut. The delivering doctor joked, "He's built like a linebacker."

Nadia Khalina weighing 17.1 pounds was born in the chilly region of Altai, Siberia, on September 26, 2007.

Christmas came early for Adrienne and Anthony Ross -- and in a BIG package. Lillian Ross of McAlester, Okla., weighed 14 pounds and 3 ounces at birth.

Jacob Aaron Ryon was born Jan. 25, 2005, weighing 14 pounds, 1 ounce, in Prineville, Oregon. Here he is in his mom's very strong arms.

Antonio Cruz, born January 28, 2007, in Cancun, Mexico, weighed 14.5 pounds. Antonio is shown next to an average-sized baby for comparison purposes.

Brazilian baby Ademilton Ramos dos Santos weighed 16.7 pounds on his birthday, looking more like a six-month-old than a newborn.

next: Mom Implanted with Wrong Embryo Gives Birth
Anonymous September 25, 2009, 3:55 PM

“Big news! A three-day-old baby boy weighing 19.2 pounds was born September 24, 2009, in Kisaran, North Sumatra.” This photo caption doesn’t make any sense. The baby cannot be 3 days old in the picture if he was born Sept. 24th, today is only Sept. 25th.

Tristan's Mommy September 29, 2009, 8:52 PM

I have a friend whose son was over 11 lbs at birth. For much of his youth, he was taller and a tad stockier than his peers. His mom joked that he could be a linebacker but as a teen, his peers caught up to him in height and he’s slimmed down to a degree I wouldn’t have expected he was capable (assuming he had a larger bone structure than many).

So if this young man, at 11 plus lbs, had those issues, I’m curious to know how being so oversized at birth affects growth and development not just in the next year but into adulthood. I would imagine things like having the neck strength to support the head, rolling over, or learning to crawl or walk would be that much more difficult with the extra weight for some. I guess it would depend on whether weight and length corresponded with one another or if weight tipped the scale instead.

laura April 16, 2010, 10:39 PM

My baby weighed 12lbs6oz at birth and you can’t tell it to look at her now. She’s taller than most kids her age.

Joy April 23, 2010, 1:45 PM

My first baby weighed 12lbs. 5oz. at birth and had no trouble with growth or development compared to other babies the same age. In fact at 1 year old she had only gained 10lbs. from birth. Most double their weight. She is now turning 2 and is taller than most but her weight is average. I am pregnant with #2 and once again I am measuring big right from the beginning. Another 12 pounder??

Hisako Mastropaolo December 2, 2010, 8:01 PM

I just discovered this post and have been following along. I thought I will post my 1st comment since it genuinely caught my interest. I will visit back here quite often to look for new material.

Claribel Maes December 3, 2010, 11:10 AM

The old saying goes, from the professional’s mind there aren’t many choices, but for 1 with the novice’s mind, the world is open.

Sherron Lella March 5, 2011, 6:19 AM

It’s surprising exactly how much of this I just didn’t know. Appreciate your writing this information. I’ll be certain to come back right here to check out if there is any new articles.