Theme Park Rides: Fun or Frightening?

It all depends on your kid ...

Momlogic's Julie: This weekend, my cousin flew in with her two kids (ages 5 and 8), and we took our families to Disneyland.

We found out the hard way that her 5-year-old son was scared of dark rides. In "Soarin' Over California," he cried hysterically the whole time and was utterly terrified. My cousin felt so horrible that her son was traumatized on a ride that she really thought he would enjoy.

One time, I made my daughter ride "Tower of Terror." After waiting in line for an hour with me and her brother, she decided she didn't want to go on it. I just thought she had nervous jitters, so I encouraged (translation: bribed) her to ride it anyway. (I hated the thought of wasting that hour in line for nothing, and my son being so upset that he couldn't go on.) Well, she cried the whole ride and still talks about how "Mommy MADE HER ride Tower of Terror." I felt like the worst mother ever.

This parent posted a YouTube video of his son's first roller coaster ride. He goes from looking severely traumatized to utterly gleeful in a span of two minutes.

Have you ever "made" your child go on a ride, then wished you hadn't? Surely I'm not the only one (I hope)!

next: Beach Day: Sand, Surf ... and MRSA?
Lookey Lou September 15, 2009, 12:28 PM

I’ve tried to coax my kid knowing they’d like it, but if they really seem afraid, I back off.

I softly coaxed my daughter and she was glad she road some pirate ship ride. My son seemed terrified so I let him be and you know what? I’m so glad I listened to him because it turns out it geared more to my girl and my boy being a little bit smaller would have lost his marbles. I would have lost my marbles right along with him regretting putting him on it. Luckily, he was able to stay behind with a family friend so his sister could ride and not miss out.

That kid is just like me! I love roller coasters but I hate the intial drop at warp speed. Scares the hell out of me!

HMM September 15, 2009, 12:45 PM

He’s HOOKED!

MICHELLE  September 15, 2009, 2:39 PM

IF YOU DON’T EXPOSE THEM TO RIDES WHEN THEIR YOUNG OF COURSE THEY WILL BE AFRAID OF THE UNKNOWN. MY KIDS WERE RAISED GOING TO DISNEYLAND 2-3 TIMES A MONTH SO THEY WOULD CRY WHEN THEY COULDN’T GET ON A RIDE.
START WITH LITTLE RIDES THEM MOVE TO LARGER.

amanda lunsford September 16, 2009, 9:30 AM

SO NICE TO HEAR THAT I’M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS DONE THIS…LAST SUMMER TALKED MY SON INTO RIDING A ROLLER COASTER AT SIX FLAGS AND HE WAS TRAUMATIZED! MAKES ME WANNA CRY THINKING BACK ON IT. I HAD PROMISED HIM HE WOULD LIKE IT, AND HE WAS TERRIFIED! I FELT SO GUILTY! I WAS WORRIED THAT HE WOULD NEVER TRUST ME AGAIN! HE STILL REMINDS ME OF IT EVER NOW AND THEN…MY ADVICE WOULD BE, IF THEY SAY THEY DON’T WANT TO TS BEST NOT TO MAKE THEM BECAUSE IF YOU DO AND THEY DON’T LIKE IT, YOU WILL HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE GUILT! UNTIL I READ THIS I FELT LIKE THE ONLY MOTHER IN THE WORLD WHO WOULD DO THIS TO THEIR CHILD! LIKE THE WORST MOM IN THE WORLD! FEELS NICE TO KNOW IM NOT ALONE!

ame i. September 16, 2009, 12:48 PM

At Disneyworld I “made” my 9 year old daughter ride Test Track, the roller coaster that looks like a train, & the river rafting ride. She loved all of them, as I knew she would!
I wouldn’t make her ride a ride if I thought it would scare her. My 11 year old daughter tried to talk me onto the Tower of Terror or something like that, but I was like No Way!

cheapviagra6213 August 30, 2010, 6:32 AM