Tibetan Nannies: Parents' New Status Symbol

Forget the Bugaboo stroller. The new status symbol for parents everywhere is a Tibetan nanny, according to MSN.

tibetan woman

For the past several years, Tibetan nannies have been all the rage in New York City, writes Susan Gregory Thomas at MSN. On message boards and playgrounds, some parents claimed Tibetan nannies were "very balanced and Zen" and aided in children's "spiritual development."

The demand for Tibetan nannies became so great that the Diki Daycare Center in Astoria, N.Y., began offering a Tibetan nanny referral service.

"Tibetan women are well known for being caring and loving nannies," reads the flyer. "They are recognized for becoming 'one of the family' and offer the same compassion and quality of care for their charges as they do their own children. Cleanliness, organization & dedication to education are values of Tibetan culture."

Some non-Tibetan nannies say this is pure racism, and are beyond pissed that they are being discriminated against.

Of course, in many parts of the country, nannies are an unheard-of luxury ... so maybe this is a New York thing?

Are Tibetan nannies a status symbol where you live?

next: Casey Anthony's Defense Wants Case Tossed
SesshoumarusGirl September 22, 2009, 5:37 PM

BS.

How about raising your kids, instead of pawning the job on another person. Its called BEING A PARENT.

ame i. September 22, 2009, 5:42 PM

I second SesshoumarusGirl’s comment. I didn’t have children so someone else could raise them while I spent my time with friends or returned to my important career. My kids are my career for now.

Theresa September 23, 2009, 7:56 AM

I think this is a weird,must only happen in New York kind of thing. I for one completely understand the need for child care…in some places Nanny’s are not really more expensive than good quality day care facility. I am of the personal belief that children get more from quality child care centers than with a nanny. At a good center, workers have degrees in early childhood development, children are socilaized with other kids of the same age and ability levels, there are lesson plans designed to help children reach their developmental milestones most importantly workers are not distracted by things like house chores, preparing dinner, talking on the phone or watching TV, teachers in a child care center also have help, if they get frustrated or need a break they can step out

Cheryl September 23, 2009, 9:01 AM

I am from Queens, and I completely see how this could be a fad here, although not exactly for the reason stated in the article. A couple years ago, it was all the rage to get your hair blown straight at a “Dominican” salon. Somhow, it got out that “the dominicans” really know how to do a good job at this. I suspect that this is the same kind of thing.

michelle September 23, 2009, 11:42 AM

I am from NYC and I call BS on this whole supposed trend. It’s bogus — the reporter is just looking to stir up anger, like “look at these disgusting yuppies (all women of course) who are all closet racists.” Yet the reporter’s “research” consisted of reading one post on Urban Baby. She even admits later on that in the real world the top requests are for nannies who speak world languages, which is way more reasonable. To me, the real issue raised by that article is that domestic workers have basically NO employment rights or protections. This type of discrimination is real and everywhere, regardless of what race/ethnicity the nannies are. Yet we choose to go all insane over a made-up trend.

kay January 4, 2010, 7:42 AM

I have a tibetan nanny for my twin for the past 5 years and I think she is special to my family. she is very kind and nice that we never saw her upset at all. Thanks to her my children are growing into peaceful humanbeings.