Why the Duggars Are Better than Octomom

Sure, they're having their NINETEENTH kid, but at least the state isn't paying for it!

Duggars Family, Nadya Suleman

Momlogic's Julie: I was beyond angry when I found out that Octomom had FOURTEEN KIDS she couldn't pay for. Outrageous! How could a woman ON WELFARE be so irresponsible? I was having a hard enough time paying for my own two children ... As a California taxpayer, I hated the idea of having to foot the bill for hers, too.

But when I heard that the Duggars are having their nineteenth child, I felt none of those same emotions. The Duggars work. They're debt-free. They built their own home and have no mortgage payment. I wish I could say the same.

Octomom was photographed getting her nails done shortly after giving birth to her octuplets. She seems completely "me, me, me." But the Duggars are all about family -- in their house, it's more like "we, we, we."

I personally wouldn't want to have nineteen children, but it's a free country, and I can't fault Michelle Duggar for it. As long as my tax dollars don't have to pay for her kids, I cannot judge.

Watching the show "18 and Counting" is inspirational. I can't believe how Michelle manages it all. Watching the Octomom reality documentary, however, was more like watching a train wreck. She has no idea what she's doing, and the kids are the ones who suffer for it.

The Duggars have a strong family support system. No, I don't believe you need a man to raise a kid, but I do believe you need a strong support system in place. Octomom doesn't seem to have one, and it's sad.

The Duggars have more and more kids because they genuinely love their children. Octomom has publicly stated that she "screwed herself" and her kids' lives by having eight more babies. Um, ya think?

For those reasons, I believe the Duggars are way better than Octomom. Who's with me?

next: Most Offensive Doll for Little Girls. Ever.
Jill (the other one) September 1, 2009, 4:05 PM

Michelle manages because the older children raise the younger ones.
On the other hand, no one seems to be raising Nadya’s kids, so there you are.

Cat B September 1, 2009, 4:51 PM

I COMPLETELY AGREE with everything you said… I cannot stand Octomom, I think she’s whiney and self-centered, and I refuse to watch whatever reality show she throws herself into for love of fame and fortune. On the flip-side of the coin, I truly believe The Duggars are making their situation work beautifully, and their love of kids shows in everything they do. Thanks so much for summing up all my opinions on this subject!

Nikki September 1, 2009, 5:44 PM

Years ago when I first came across the Duggars in a TV show in which they were building their house I thought they were crazy and insane and I couldn’t believe they planned on having more (and more!) kids. But after watching the “… and counting” show I have to admit they have actually grown on me some. This definitely would not be a lifestyle I would choose, but I agree that they do seem to make it work and make it work beautifully. Octomom is a disgrace and could use a lesson or two or, I dunno… maybe NINETEEN from Jim Bob and Michelle. (Although, I doubt she would learn ANYTHING!) Oh, and for the record, doesn’t she now have FOURTEEN kids? Not just twelve…??

Jay Romeo September 1, 2009, 6:06 PM

I *sort of* agree with you… at least up to the point of OctoMom being a disgrace. That being said, I think they are both doing s disservice to their kids for their own selfish reasons.

OctoMom is well documented soI won’t rehash that, but the Duggars are not much better. What chance do these kids have of a normal life? Rent a tux for the prom? What when Julie Sue (made that up) can run down to the consignment shopand make a little something cheap? Have a carefree childhood summer? Not when there are more little ‘uns to tend to… mom can’t do it? She’s pregnant (again).

They resemble something a lot closer to a brainwashed cult than a well adjusted family… but the title still holds true… they are *still* better than OctoMom

dean September 1, 2009, 8:59 PM

“I can’t believe how Michelle manages it all.”

Um, she manages all those kids by passing off the younger kids to the older kids. That is not fair to the older ones.

Anonymous September 1, 2009, 9:10 PM

You are exactly right. Michelle said in an interview that she “partners” an older kid with a younger one, for whom they are responsible. It’s very selfish to force children to raise their siblings. It’s not 80 years ago and they need all of those children to work the farm and because of infant mortality. At least, though, they pay for themselves.

Melissalynn September 1, 2009, 10:13 PM

I don’t see anything wrong with the Duggars teaching their kids the value of hard work. Their kids will go into adulthood with a full comprehension of what it takes to run a home and take care of children. They won’t expect to be catered to or have everything given to them. There are a lot of adults these days that could have benefited from some responsibility while growing up. Octomom included.

Cheryl September 2, 2009, 4:19 AM

There is a big difference between teaching children responsibilities and making them raise YOUR children. It would not suprise me if these kids don’t want to have children of their own after having to spend so much time caring for their younger siblings. Plus that whole “blanketing” training thing she does to the babies is creepy. Still better than selfish Octomom though.

Peggy Gorman September 2, 2009, 5:29 AM

I agree with you completly! The Duggars are a loving family and Octomom is a babymaking machine and the same as a sperm donor! I have seen her with the kids on TV and everything she does if forced for the cameras. I don’t see and real love or emotion.I will not watch her show allowing the kids to be exploited futher.She is doing all of it for herself and I feel she only sees dollar signs instead of children that need love and compassion
I feel so sorry for the kids

anonymos September 2, 2009, 10:57 AM

I agree with so many of these comments about the Duggars. It’s not fair to the older children to basically raise their siblings…. teaching responsibility and requiring you help around the house and with younger kids fine but to be “partnered” with them. Everyone also talks how they aren’t using government funds so good for them. But they did receive a lot of items through donations, and I read somewhere that the family and it’s house is registered as a church and therefore does not pay taxes (income or property), so they may not be spending the money you put into the system, but they also aren’t contributing like the rest of us are required to.

Dawn November 28, 2009, 10:23 AM

I think the Duggars have a great family support and that the older kids have to help out since there are more younger children to take care of. It gives the older kids more experience and also gives them a chance to bond with their brothers and sisters. As for Jim Bob and Michelle they are good parents, you never hear them yell at their kids, they give postive directions and discipline to their children.

Nisha Kuna December 2, 2010, 8:01 PM

Not long ago i stumbled on your posting and have been browsing along. I thought I will post my 1st comment as it truly captured my interest. I’ll drop back again often to check for new material.

Sharilyn Signorino December 3, 2010, 11:10 AM

It was definitely a fascinating post. Having said that I’m just experiencing difficulty getting the site to display the right way on my current chrome web browser, any thought what could be creating the problem.?

Immobilier Bretagne March 6, 2011, 10:14 PM

I definitely wanted to write down a brief note to be able to say thanks to you for all the marvelous techniques you are giving out at this website. My considerable internet search has at the end of the day been recognized with reliable details to write about with my best friends. I ‘d declare that most of us readers actually are very much fortunate to be in a wonderful community with many special individuals with very beneficial guidelines. I feel quite lucky to have encountered your entire site and look forward to many more brilliant times reading here. Thanks a lot again for a lot of things.

Shawana Heibult March 16, 2011, 8:02 PM