Woman Spanked Stranger's Child in Store

This is just outrageous!

Gloria Ballard

First we had the nut who slapped a stranger's kid in Wal-Mart ... now a woman has spanked a stranger's child at a thrift store. WTF is going on?

Gloria Ballard confronted the toddler's mother, Dannay Jones, at a Salvation Army.

"The lady tried to tell me how and what I should do to take care of my child," Jones wrote in an affidavit.

Ballard then put 2-year-old Sean Goode over her own lap and "hit him three times on his bottom," Jones told officers.

Police said Ballard is now charged with assault and will be arraigned on Wednesday afternoon.

We'd love to know why perfect strangers like Gloria Ballard and Roger Stephens (of Wal-Mart fame) feel they have the right to not only discipline but ABUSE children who are not their own.

It might "take a village" to raise a child ... but we think these two are taking it way too far. Do you agree?

next: 'Biggest Loser' Mom Lost Husband, Two Kids
no September 16, 2009, 11:32 AM

I’m sure these kids were throwing tantrums in the store and the parents wouldn’t take care of it. No reason should a child throw a temper tantrum in a store.

Jill September 16, 2009, 11:34 AM

commenter above, does that give a STRANGER the right to hit a child? Are you effing kidding me?

Lisa Maria Carroll September 16, 2009, 11:37 AM

WTF is right. This is absolutely nuts. These moms should be taking matters into their own hands—in the name of self-defense, of course.

Renee September 16, 2009, 11:38 AM

If my child was raising pure hell in a store, you had better not take matters into your own hands. (not that I’d be okay with my child doing that lol) You can take other measures-talk to management, ignore it, etc. I wouldn’t let someone hit me and get away with it and I will not tolerate someone else hitting my child.

Christie September 16, 2009, 11:51 AM

Not right but not unexpected. There’s an epidemic of bad parenting going on, where parents just stand idly by and ignore their children’s atrocious behaviour. It was only a matter of time before someone got fed up. And it will keep happening until parents actually start parenting again!

Keely September 16, 2009, 11:53 AM

You don’t walk up to a stranger and punch them in the face because they’re talking too loudly - you’d get charged with assault. Why would we allow someone to get away with hitting a child?

anonymous September 16, 2009, 12:21 PM

wtf!!!! And what did the mom do when this complete stranger spanked her kid??? Absolutely nothing?!?!?!

It doesn’t matter how bad the kid was behaving, it doesn’t give a complete stranger the right to hit a child. And as for the mom of the child, if it was my child this stranger spanked I would have beaten the crap out of her.

Jackie September 16, 2009, 12:22 PM

No one should hit someone elses child I am waiting for the day someone hits the parent for not Parenting the child! It not the Parents fault either its our goverment with the ever looming threat of loosing your child now a daysts crazy 15 years ago it was ok to put soap in a childs mouth today that is abuse and you can lose your child 30 years ago if a child got yell at at a friends house and got yelled at at home too and it was ok the laws were put there for wakos but now the umbrella is so large and the children servies has more power then a Judge.

Zoey September 16, 2009, 12:32 PM

That is completely unacceptable and, if I were the parent, not only would I not stand by I would have that woman arrested for assault. For those who think there is no excuse for a child having a tantrum in a store, just wait till you have kids. Children HAVE tantrums, especially highly strung, sensitive children, and I can say from experience that they can be very hard to deal with. Frequently, there is no good way to deal with them, but spanking is an exceptionally BAD way to deal with them. If there are people who feel they have to spank in order to “teach a lesson” to a 2-year-old, they had damned well better keep their hands off my kids.

spanky September 16, 2009, 1:29 PM

I know Kennedy Heights (where this happened)
I seriously doubt this mother was doing her job.

I think this kid deserved what he got.
2 “birthday” spankings, and one more to grow on.

hooray to the adult, to teach the 28 year old parent, how to raise a child.

Colleen September 16, 2009, 1:32 PM

In this country we have the right to not be free of physical assault (ie someone spanking us) but we are not guaranteed the right to never be annoyed. Whether or not the child was behaving atrociously, a random stranger hitting them is against the law. If the child was infringing on the rights of others (which I’m pretty sure he wasn’t, as the right to a tantrum-free shopping experience is not in the Bill of Rights or on any lawbooks in this nation, based as it is in freedom and not totalitarianism) then the proper legal channels should have been taken. Even if justified, vigilante justice against a child isn’t warranted. And if “poor parenting” was the crime, then shouldn’t the child’s parent have been the one assaulted? Logically?

MotherNature September 16, 2009, 1:53 PM

How many of us have seen an inappropriately acting adult while out in public raise your hand? How many of you walked away with out smacking the fool silly? Now, what separates US (those who walked away) from those who didn’t is class my friends. Pure and simple CLASS. It takes trash to assault another human being no matter their age!

Mic September 16, 2009, 2:40 PM

What was the mother doing when the woman put the child on her lap & spanked him 2-3 times?? It doesn’t make much sense. I block strangers that try to touch my child, like if they tell me or dd how pretty her hair is, & try to touch it, I stand in front of my child, etc. I don’t want any stranger touching my children even if it is in a nice manner.

David September 16, 2009, 3:31 PM

These idiots need to be presecuted to the fullest extent of the law. If my child is misbehaving I will take care of any discipline that needs to be administered. And stranger who would Touch My Child as these two Morons did, would find themselves lying on the ground missing several teeth when I was done.

mercaties September 16, 2009, 5:07 PM

All you people that continuously keep making comments like, “well your kid should be better behaved” either do not have children or are the most self rightous parents on earth. Obviously, our kids should be well behaved in public but the fact is sometimes they are not. It is in absolutly no way okay for a complete stranger to kit your child and by the way it’s also illegal the Walmart guy was arrested and so was this lady. On a seperate note, how were these people even allowed to get close enough to these toddlers to hit them. I would have called the police when they yelled at my child.

Chris September 16, 2009, 11:12 PM

Good for her. Gloria Ballard can babysit my kids anytime. Do you think this would’ve made the news thirty years ago? I hate the, “you don’t know me,” “You ain’t no better than me.” attitude. Keep your heathens at home, when they show out at the store, dont make the general public endure their tantrums, or listening to you try to reason or bribe a toddler. People don’t give enough credit to kids. They are brilliant manipulators, they want boundaries, and attention. Give both. Not threats and presents, what kind of self entitled, utterly repulsive generation are we creating? I guarantee anytime a child is reprimanded by someone other than a parent, it makes a lasting impression. What’s so wrong with that? Are we raising hermits or little people that will one day have to live in society with other people where they have to exhibit a little accountability? Too bad they don’t come out with a sterilizing vaccine for this bad parenting epidemic..

anonymous September 17, 2009, 5:21 AM

I was in walmart yesterday and there was a kid I would have loved to do this with, but I was more ticked off at the mother by far. This kid was throwing the mother of all temper tantrums for at least 10 minutes (a really long time to hear a kid screaming and yelling at the top of his lungs). All I could think was “why don’t you just leave with him/her…what are you doing still shopping?” Still, it’s never okay to put your hands on someone else’s child, no matter how much you’d like to…lol!

MarMar September 17, 2009, 6:52 AM

If a kid is causing that much of a commotion, the proper thing to do would be to complain to the store management. They can ask the family to leave. If they refuse to do so, then you can not patronize that business anymore. But I’m presuming some really horrible antics here, destruction of property and whatnot. Other than that, face facts - some kids have tantrums! Some kids are better behaved than others! And it’s none of your business - not to say anything to the family, but ESPECIALLY not to hit the child! That is not your child, that is not your place to determine punishment for him or her - corporal or otherwise!

Anonymous September 17, 2009, 7:28 AM

i grew up in the 80s and it was perfectly acceptable to be punished, spanked, or yelled at by my neighbors, teachers, church, or any other adult figure who had acquaintance with my mother. It only happened once or twice but when it happened I was guaranteed an extra spanking when I got home for even having troubled these non-parentals with any misbehaviour.
these obviously were ppl my mother and I knew and saw regularly.
However these last couple stories are of complete strangers and that is crazy to think u can just put your hands on a stranger’s child. In today’s society, for obvious reasons, what I went thru is not the norm but I would definitely try offer the mom a helpful hint to pick the tantrum thrower off the floor and take him/her str8 home and run them a cold shower for a minute or 2. that shuts them right up.

Jennifer  September 17, 2009, 12:05 PM

Back in the day, my step father spanked a few neighbor kids, but those were the neighbor kids. This is a stranger. I handle my kids, they dont have fits in the store, the may whine if tired, but they dont have fits. They know they wont go if they have fits, and my oldest has been diagnosed with ADHD (and was only medicated 2 years of her lifetime), so imagine that! Still, for the paretns who cant keep their kids in line at the store, a stranger shouldnt whoop their kids. A stranger wouldnt have a chance to if my children decided to have a fit! I dont think in this case the lady needs to be punished drastically. A whooping on the butt never hurt no one! A slap on the hand for her will do, the man in walmart, however, hiting a kid in the face is wrong. Its humilating, maybe he needs some time behind the cell.