Woman Spanked Stranger's Child in Store

This is just outrageous!

Gloria Ballard

First we had the nut who slapped a stranger's kid in Wal-Mart ... now a woman has spanked a stranger's child at a thrift store. WTF is going on?

Gloria Ballard confronted the toddler's mother, Dannay Jones, at a Salvation Army.

"The lady tried to tell me how and what I should do to take care of my child," Jones wrote in an affidavit.

Ballard then put 2-year-old Sean Goode over her own lap and "hit him three times on his bottom," Jones told officers.

Police said Ballard is now charged with assault and will be arraigned on Wednesday afternoon.

We'd love to know why perfect strangers like Gloria Ballard and Roger Stephens (of Wal-Mart fame) feel they have the right to not only discipline but ABUSE children who are not their own.

It might "take a village" to raise a child ... but we think these two are taking it way too far. Do you agree?

next: 'Biggest Loser' Mom Lost Husband, Two Kids
Mel September 17, 2009, 12:10 PM

Not your kid not your problem learn to walk away. Why do people feel they need to discipline every child they see? If a two year old is having a temper tantrum big deal thats what two year olds do. Whats the point of smacking the child? becouse it makes you feel better. It certainly isnt going to stop the child from fussing its just going to give them something else to cry about. Didnt these peoples parents teach them to keep their hands to themselves, apparently not.

Mary September 18, 2009, 5:02 AM

PLEASE it does take a village. Some people let their kids act horrible. Lets not forget spanking is not abuse. Please.

lily September 18, 2009, 5:15 AM

this woman had no right to hit a child!! however, this is america, typical skank yank

Anonymous September 18, 2009, 5:25 AM

Chris, I wish the sterilization vaccine existed back when your parents decided to conceive.

mar September 18, 2009, 6:30 AM

Children can do get on people nerves specially when we see the parents doing nothing to stop their behavior. But to go and hit another person kid that is going way too far. I usually say” Lady take care of your darn kids before someone come and do it for you.

Vicki September 18, 2009, 6:36 AM

I agree that a stranger should Not spank, or touch in any another person’s child.
I think the problem, though, is that many parents don’t ever dicipline their children. I have worked in a school system long enough to see that for the most part (certainly not all) children and teens seem to feel entitled. They show little or no respect for their teachers and other adults an if the get into trouble for anything, mom or dad is at the school saying..”my child wouldn’t blah, blah, blah and you will Not dicilpine either!”
That is the main reason I left the school system.
When I was in school, if you got in trouble there, you got in trouble at home.
OH WELL!

Amanda September 18, 2009, 6:42 AM

I’m not against spanking my own children. There’s a difference between spanking and abuse. I have swatted my child’s bottom. But to spank or hit another child is way out of line. I would have a huge problem if anyone else spanked my children. I would never spank anyone elses child. I think children do need to learn manners and not thorw tantrums in stores and parent’s need to step up and take care of their children if they do. I’m not saying every parent has to spank their children when they throw a tantrum. I’ve had to walk out of stores because my 3 yr old won’t behave.

jenny September 18, 2009, 6:48 AM

Three times my daughters had tantrums - one in a fast food restaurant, once at a relatives and the third most memorable - at a circus event (we had front row seats). Each time I can trace the behaviour back to not enough sleep and too much go-go-go stimulus on my part. Each time, we packed out things and left - went and sat in the car running with A/C until she screamed herself to sleep. Toughest one was the circus - expensive seats/great acts and we left my in-laws watching the show. My mother-in-law couldn’t believe I gave up the seats - said I indulged my daughter. I told her indulging her would have been to make everyone’s life miserable and staying treating the tantrum as an acceptable event. I said sitting in the car with no music or other stimulus for more than 30 minutes let her regroup and then sleep plus cooled me off(once she as sleeping) Bad parenting is clearly evident in both of these recent hit/spank incidences - highly likely - bratty, over indulged kid - also likely; too much “stuff” scheduled into the day with no down time to soothe and quiet overtaxed neurons - most probable. My youngest daughter (16 years)observed the other day while we in a local mall and witnessed several kids in high whine mode or full out tantrums - How did you and Dad put up with us when we did that and you had to get things done? I said two words ” We didn’t!’ So many parents ignore the signs or the way a tanturm evolves as their kids ramp up to a full out event. Bribing - never should be on the table - once you start down that path - the bribes just have to keep getting more and more significant - an expensive parenting technique. I had a situation once where I was in an Old Navy store -the mother was trying on clothes and her two sons were in full whine mode, kicking each other. The older kid (about 5) kicked my door and tried to stick his head under the door of my room. I told him to go sit down and not to go in a stranger’s dressing room - guess what - he listened! The mother heard me and waited for me as I came out of the room - she told me not to speak to her kids, I replied don’t let your kids trespass in other changing rooms look at other ladies changing - when their just a few years older - they’ll be called voyeurs! She said, “what the H—- would I do if I’m so perfect if my kids whined so much?” I told her the few times they did - I dropped what I was doing and took them away. She said - “well that ain’t gonna happen- I wanta get my shoppin done - they have to wait”. Enough said - crappy parenting breeds crappy behavior - the poor kdis don’t even have a chance to learn how to behave in a socially acceptable manner.

Kathy  September 18, 2009, 6:58 AM

No one is allowed to abuse a child. If someone’s child is throwing a tantrum in a store; I leave. I cannot imagine the fear these children have of this stranger and the pain of why mom allowed a stranger to abuse them. These “strangers” should be properly dealt with with the law.

DD September 18, 2009, 7:02 AM

I don’t think that anyone has the right to discipline a child except for the child’s parent. But, some parents let their children do and act however they want without disciplining them and just don’t care how they act in public. Then, I could see wanting to take charge and do it myself. But, I NEVER WOULD!

Dee September 18, 2009, 7:32 AM

Personally I can’t stand annoying kids screaming and acting like they are in a park while their parent’s just ignore them but I certainly would NEVER touch or say anything to them. I would just leave. A lot of parent’s nowadays have 0 parenting skills but that’s still no excuse for you; a total stranger to intervene. Mind your own business. If someone touched my child they would have a lot more to fear than getting arrested, I would probably be the one getting arrested for murder.

Kathy September 18, 2009, 8:42 AM

I have been the “victim” of many screaming kids in restaurants and so forth, but I would NEVER touch one of them. Any form of punishment should come from a parent or other authority figure that the child knows is in charge. A complete stranger only scares the child and makes things worse. And yes, the parents should have more consideration for other people, but there seem to be a lot of people that do not lately. Try to get down the isles at Walmart!

Barbara Wright September 18, 2009, 10:14 AM

I totally agree they took it too far. She almost looks like the one who use to follow her tot in the mall belt in hand.

They told her she couldn’t but she told Security she could wup her child whenever she wants. This one might not be the same one though.

These people should be charged with assault.

leslie September 18, 2009, 11:56 AM

I cant believe some of the comments from people saying that the child got what it deserved! You have NO heart if you think that! My children are well behaved but they have thrown tantrums a number of times. Yes, children are incredibly smart but they are still WAY too younge to comphrehend all of their feelings and know how to control them! When my husband left for Iraq my son wasnt even 2 and he was stressing out and would throw tantrums because he didnt understand why daddy wasnt around. Adults get cranky when they are sleepy and children will throw tantrums! Let someone punch you in the face because you are sleepy and you cant go to sleep when you need to! What is this world coming to when anyone can punish a strangers child. If I turn around and see someone hit my child, I swear they will have to pull me off that stranger! I wont let them rest! I would make sure they have a child abuse record for the rest of their life!

Kristen September 18, 2009, 5:14 PM

Parents need to learn when to remove unruly children from stores. It may inconvenience you to have to make another trip to Walmart later, but once a child realizes that a tantrum = immediate removal from the store, then the bad behavior will cease. If it doesn’t, don’t take them out in public if possible until they learn to control themselves. I’m not condoning what they did by any means, but I do think this is a lack of good discipline choices by the parents.

Brandy September 18, 2009, 8:24 PM

For the person who said ‘just wait til you have kids’ Well i do have a child and my child is not allowed to act that way in public. If she starts to act like most children with parents who dont care what their kids do I will either leave the store or she will get swatted. NOT BEAT. There is a difference. And if more parents actually displined their children when they were young we wouldnt be dealing with all these foul mouth teens that dont respect others let alone themselves. There is a difference between spanking and beating.
No the stranger didnt have a right to spank the child and I wouldnt have spanked anothers child although the parent probably needed it more than the kid.

A. September 19, 2009, 8:17 AM

I get so tired of people complaining that parents simply stand idly by while children have a tantrum. As a parent I take serious offense. We live in a society that will bring me up on charges unless I treat my four year old as though he were a 24 year old adult—rationalizing with him and trying to “convince” him that being well behaved is a positive—-there have been people on this board who have railed against other parents that they saw in stores who spoke too harshly…let alone corporal punishment. When I acknowledge these social constraints and act in the only way that western society has deemed appropriate for parents to act: as uninvolved bystanders to their children’s lives—-then that’s a problem too. Get a grip and make up your minds people!

marylouq September 19, 2009, 6:39 PM

what this woman did was wrong, if she had smacked an adult, she would have been charged with assault, it’s important that the police punish this woman, most states forbid school teachers from paddling children,so certainly, strangers shouldn’t be getting away with it! also, if i am in a store and am talking loudly, or i bump my shopping cart into someone, would it be ok for them to hit me, i don’t think so, it is the same thing, walmart and the thrift store are public places, if you cannot stand noisy kids, don’t go there!!!

Abby September 21, 2009, 6:11 AM

If my daughter has a fit then I say something to her & if it continues & I can leave evrything behind then I walk out with her. Yet, if someone ever and I mean ever laid a hand on her you can bet they won’t have that hand anymore!

Alyssa September 22, 2009, 9:33 AM

the comments on here make me more sick than this actual story… children throw tantrums. yes. in public too! you know why? because they are CHILDREN and thats what happens! if you don’t want to have to deal with this it’s easy - don’t have children. spanking and other physical punishments are the “easy” way out, and only “help” in the moment.
just because I don’t spank my child doesn’t mean I sit there and bribe them or “let them get away with it”. it’s 2007, things are handled differently now for a reason…
and yes actually I do think that spanking a kid on the butt is just as humiliating as a smack in the face.