Woman Spanked Stranger's Child in Store

This is just outrageous!

Gloria Ballard

First we had the nut who slapped a stranger's kid in Wal-Mart ... now a woman has spanked a stranger's child at a thrift store. WTF is going on?

Gloria Ballard confronted the toddler's mother, Dannay Jones, at a Salvation Army.

"The lady tried to tell me how and what I should do to take care of my child," Jones wrote in an affidavit.

Ballard then put 2-year-old Sean Goode over her own lap and "hit him three times on his bottom," Jones told officers.

Police said Ballard is now charged with assault and will be arraigned on Wednesday afternoon.

We'd love to know why perfect strangers like Gloria Ballard and Roger Stephens (of Wal-Mart fame) feel they have the right to not only discipline but ABUSE children who are not their own.

It might "take a village" to raise a child ... but we think these two are taking it way too far. Do you agree?

next: 'Biggest Loser' Mom Lost Husband, Two Kids
sherryl glasser September 22, 2009, 9:37 AM

has anyone heard the saying thou shall not judge my daughter is special needs and would offen have temper tantrums or have strange behavior I worked with a neuroligist and a behaviorist and was told certain things to do when her behavior would get out of control and spanking was not one of them !!! I also would offen shop the thrift stores it was all we could afford this woman should have just walked away if the kid was bothering her so much instead of taking matters into her own hands if you don’t know the whole sitchuation please don’t juge

aerialla September 22, 2009, 2:43 PM

When I worked at a business in the mall and dealt with unruly brats all the time. My way was simple. I asked the parents and the child to leave. If they had a problem with it they could call the store manager. She would always side with me because she didn’t want the place destroyed (we had a lot of expensive items). We also had signs placed that if your child broke it, you bought it. It was effective and it worked. Yeah we may have been bitchy, but we had a nice store that people loved to come into because it was a relaxing place to be. I don’t agree that the woman should have hit the child though, she should have hit the mother.

dark angel September 23, 2009, 9:00 AM

Do most of the posters on here actually have any children or are you all just mouthing of about something you know nothing about. I have four well behaved (they have their moments) children but yet all have went through the terrible twos at some point & mostly in public places. It seems they love to have a audience present when they have a hissy fit. Anyway no matter what your parenting skills are most toddlers do act up at some stage or another but it doesn’t give folk the right to hit your child or berate you on your parenting skills. I’ve learned that just ignoring my toddler when she is having a tantrum is the quickest way for her to get over it. Slapping her would just result in unnecessary pain & for her to cry longer. What about the chavs/neds & junkies behaviour in public places the shouting & fighting etc do you think that’s acceptable would you dare to slap any of them for their unruly behaviour or try to berate them? I think not!!!

Carrie September 24, 2009, 11:12 AM

What bothers me the most about the responses to these vigilante parenting cases is the number of people who on some level think the kids got what they deserved.

What is it about children that makes it ok to hit them? Is it that they’re smaller than you? Are they just less of a person than you are? What?

Michele September 25, 2009, 7:26 PM

Because parents these days aren’t parents at all. I’m glad someone spanked the kid-SOMEONE had to.

Anonymous September 27, 2009, 6:02 PM

I say kids shouldn’t be allowed in public places!

Anonymous September 30, 2009, 6:33 AM

All of you for the child beater and against the tired kid must have never been a kid yourself. I am sure YOU NEVER cried, or misbehaved when you were younger, so congratulations for being sooo perfect. Obviously everybody has there moments and as a parent it is not always easy to stop your child from crying and you never know when they are going to throw a tantrum. Yes it is embarasing, but they are just children and does not mean you need to phyisically hurt them, that may scare them and make them cry more.

bamagirl0216 December 19, 2009, 8:04 AM

the child need to be hit yes, (it was like she punched him, a little swat). However, she should have turned to the lazy, nonparenting mother, and told her to a few words. Like raise your child or give him to someone who can.

mini April 2, 2010, 7:46 PM

I am having a similar problem here in my neighborhood i had a lady yelling at my son she did not hit him but to me that is just as bad i know in families but you know then i dont know this lady and she is yelling at my son to the point where is sitting in fetal position crying

Mallori July 22, 2010, 8:42 AM

she was wrong to spank a strangers child, but spanking is not abused. I was spanked, and I spank my children. We are all fine. I do not approve of what she does, and she should be charged because she didn’t have a right to do it, but I am sure the kid is over it. It was not abuse.

Kelly September 14, 2010, 11:38 AM

This news story is leaving out critical information for ANYONE to give an honest opinion on it. First of all, what exactly was this child doing? Sencond, why does society feel that it’s necessary to call three wacks with the palm of your hand, on the childs tush abuse? It does NOT take a village, it takes a parent to raise a child. If you lack parenting skills then expect others to punish your child, just like you expect complete strangers to put up with your child.

Treatment for Hemorrhoid November 27, 2010, 3:20 PM

Fine website. Thank you, very informative and easy to understand.

valium December 1, 2010, 3:04 PM

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource

Hamilton Beach Iced Tea Maker Reviews December 12, 2010, 1:29 AM

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

krep tarifi December 14, 2010, 12:34 AM

krep tarifi, tatli krep tarifi, sade krep tarifi, krep hamuru

Ida December 21, 2010, 6:06 AM

I have to say if someone male or female walked up to my child and hit them. I would probably be doing time myself in jail because I am almost sure I would take matters into my own hands.

1 Year Old Birthday Party January 6, 2011, 1:19 PM

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

Unlock iPhone 3G 4.1 January 12, 2011, 3:21 AM

Well I definitely enjoyed studying it. This information provided by you is very helpful for proper planning.

Bradley Cantey February 11, 2011, 3:22 AM

Hello.This post was really motivating, particularly since I was investigating for thoughts on this issue last Wednesday.

tabletki na pryszcze April 3, 2011, 7:27 AM

I’m glad, that i found your site, there are a couple of interesting posts