Women Who Orgasm During Breastfeeding

You don't have to feel ashamed -- it's perfectly natural. An expert tells us why.

woman breastfeeding

Dr. Wendy Walsh: When I was pregnant with my first child, I was hosting a show for TLC called "How'd They Do That?" And every day, my mind was asking the same question about pregnancy and breastfeeding. All my female coworkers became a petri dish for me as I probed their minds for information about what the heck was going on with my body.

I was the most nervous about successfully breastfeeding. Frankly, I had no idea how the two orbs with nerve endings directly connected to some pleasurable southern region could be converted into a cafeteria. One morning, as I sat in the makeup chair with my middle bursting with new life, I posed a seemingly crazy question: Could a woman have an orgasm while breastfeeding?

There was a pause. There was a sly smile from the makeup artist. The hairdresser hooted and hollered. Others just laughed their asses off. But I didn't take my eyes off the makeup artist.

Later, when we were alone, I asked her again. She smiled again. "It's more of a sensuous experience," she said, "not a sexual one. It feels warm and cuddly and pleasurable, but it's different from sex. If you had an orgasm, it wouldn't be on purpose."

Years later, I thought of this conversation. I was in one of my human sexuality classes in my psychology Ph.D. program, and we were learning that the nerve endings in our body can respond to physical stimulation even if our brain is not on board. In this case, we were talking about rape, and the confusing feelings that can happen to victims of rape when during this horrific crime they sometimes experience a spontaneous orgasm. What an awful thought.

When my first daughter was finally born (pried out after 42 weeks in the oven), breastfeeding was anything but pleasurable. I like to call the newborn phase of breastfeeding "the vampire weeks," as that tiny, violent, sucking machine increases milk supply. But after a few months, I realized my makeup artist was right. Totally pleasurable. But a far cry from sexual arousal.

As I continued to nurse, I read far and deep into the benefits of breastfeeding for mother and child. One thing I learned is that prolonged breastfeeding can help reduce your chances of getting breast cancer because it stops your periods and the monthly assault of estrogen on your breasts. That was enough for me, since my mother died of breast cancer. I continued on. I also learned that often babies suckle for comfort rather than from hunger, and that there are psychological benefits to this suckling. That sounded good too.

You saw the title of this article, so you know where I'm going here. I never, ever, mentally connected a breastfeeding experience with a sexual experience. The mental boundary was so great that I was convinced it was impossible. Then one night while I was sleeping, I had one of those fabulous dreams that, if a guy had had it, would have involved moisture. You've heard about them. I woke up from the dream to find that my tiny vampire had been doing some nocturnal suckling while I slept. Let me tell you, the experience totally freaked me out. And that was it. I had a co-sleeping bed beside me after that. I needed that bundle an arm's length away.

Later, in another human sexuality class, I asked my professor about this experience. She confirmed that it is possible and probably quite common, although people have feelings of shame about it. Pleasurable breastfeeding was probably one of nature's ways to make a survival behavior attractive. She also told me that many women quit breastfeeding for this reason. For some women, the feelings of an infant suckling can be so pleasurable that they feel it is somehow wrong. That made me feel sad too. Breastfeeding is not pedophilia. Nature brought mommies and babies together for one of the most physically pleasurable relationships on earth. Let them suckle -- and do enjoy it, ladies. It is such a short period in both of your lives. And if your body responds without your consent, relax. Just buy a co-sleeper bed.

next: Suddenly 15 Again, 40 Years after Woodstock
domenic r. November 15, 2010, 10:24 PM

When women are breastfeeding are they experiencing small orgasms with small contractions that occurs without touching the clitoris or are they experienceing very large orgasms with very large contractions that only occur when touching the clitoris and masturbating or other means? I’M VERY SURE MASTURBATING WHILE BREASTFEEDING IS ILLEGAL AND CONSIDERED PEDOPHILIA. But in reality all sexual pleasures to any kind of orgasm between an adult and a child is considered ILLEGAL so why are women getting away with this? WOULD YOU THINK ITS OK FOR A SHE-MALE OR TRANSSEXUAL TO BECOME FULLY SEXUALLY AROUSED WHEN BREASTFEEDING? The difference between a sexually aroused transsexual and a woman is you’ll be able to notice when a transsexual is fully sexually aroused but not a woman. IF ITS NOT O.K. FOR A TRANSSEXUAL TO BECOME SEXUALLY AROUSED WHEN BREASTFEEDING THEN ITS NOT O.K. FOR A WOMAN. AND ANY AND ALL SEXUAL PLEASURES BETWEEN AN ADULT AND A CHILD LEADING TO ORGASM IS PEDOPHILIA AND THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD HAVE IT BANNED.

Anonymous November 16, 2010, 1:57 AM

To say that becoming sexually aroused when breastfeeding is natural DOESN’T MAKE IT RIGHT. Breastfeeding is an extremely old method of feeding a baby that originated 1000’s and 1000’s of years ago. Clearly in a more modern world there is a more mordern method and that is extracting the milk from the breasts and putting it inside a bottle and have the baby feed from the bottle. This method should be the only method for breastfeeding allowed by the law because of the fact that women will become sexually aroused to orgasms when having her breasts fondled and sucked apon by a baby or child and that is clearly sexual contact between an adult and a child and is considered pedophilia. No matter what kind of contact there is between an adult and a child wether it be a legal massage or a breastfeeding, IF A MAN OR A WOMAN BECOMES SEXUALLY AROUSED TO ORGASMS WHEN RECEIVING SUCH CONTACT FROM A CHILD, THEN SUCH CONTACT MUST BE CONSIDERED PEDOPHILIA AND SUCH MEN AND WOMEN ARE PEDOPHILES AND SHOULD LOSE CUSTODY OF THE CHILD AND BE BROUGHT TO JUSTICE IN A COURT OF LAW. Lets hope they’ll enter this into the law books so no child will be sexually abused and molested by an adult.

Anonymous November 16, 2010, 1:03 PM

Only women can get away with becoming fully sexual aroused and achieving a full clitoral erection to the point of having an intense orgasm as a child is feeling her breasts and sucking on them. If a man achieved an erection under a similar situation he would be shot in the head and hanged in court. WOMEN ARE EVIL.

Krystal November 20, 2010, 2:43 PM

To say a woman is a pedophile because of arousal during breastfeeding is wrong. You can’t control your body’s reactions. It like saying a woman who orgasms during rape wanted it. That’s stupid. Obviously all the people who comment negatively are idiots. I get aroused every once in a while during breastfeeding my daughter. Do I nurse just to get aroused? Hell no. That’s wrong. BUT it happens. Especially after the milk lets down. Breastfeeding will never be outlawed because it’s what kept the human species alive. Remember somewhere in your ancestry people were breastfed. People are really narrow minded.

Anonymous November 22, 2010, 4:10 PM

If breastfeeding causes sexual arousal to orgasms, it is in fact sexual, and if a baby or child breastfeeds and causes an adult to become sexual aroused to orgasms, it is in fact PEDOPHILIA. DON’T HIDE FROM THE TRUTH WOMEN.

Anonymous November 22, 2010, 4:21 PM

It makes NO difference if sexual arousal is involuntary or voluntary. If breastfeeding causes sexual arousal especially to the point of orgasms, it is in fact sexual, in fact extremely sexual, and if a baby or child breastfeeds and causes an adult to become sexually aroused to orgasms, it is in fact PEDOPHILIA. DON’T HIDE FROM THE TRUTH PEOPLE.

Anonymous November 22, 2010, 4:40 PM

And the reason why these women are not being charged for pedophilia while breastfeeding a baby or child that causes sexual arousal and orgasms when in fact it is pedophilia is because women are the more pretty and senuous gender that babies and children do not fear and that women are most likely not capable of harm, rape or to sexually offend and especially of the fact that a certain something of a women when fully sexually aroused cannot be seen through their clothing thus its difficult to prove. Like I said, DON’T HIDE FROM THE TRUTH. Why does this all bother me so much? Well lets say I wish I was a young woman but i’m not.

Anonymous November 22, 2010, 4:59 PM

And I have a question. When the sexual arousal is at a constant rate for a long period of time to the point of a woman feeling an extreme urge to releave herself by masturbating to achieve an orgasm during breastfeeding of a baby or child, IS THAT LEGAL? Please explain.

Best Internet Providers In My Area November 25, 2010, 12:16 AM

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art.

Hemorrhoid Cure November 27, 2010, 4:10 PM

Excellent info. Thank you, very informative and easy to understand.

Tim November 30, 2010, 9:47 AM

You’re a interesting human I have to say so I will.

Anonymous November 30, 2010, 9:46 PM

Is it legal for a woman to have a girl sit on her lap as shes breastfeeding to the point that the woman becomes so sexually aroused that she must make certain leg movements to achieve a big orgasm? THAT IS CHILD MOLESTATION DURING BREASTFEEDING and everyone knows it, even the law and the government knows this but they allow it and don’t label it pedophilia because they are HYPOCRITS.

valium December 1, 2010, 3:30 PM

I’m interested in using some of your material for my blog. Please let me know if I can do so if I link back to this page.

Rosaura Segala December 2, 2010, 7:58 PM

I just came across this page and have been following along. I thought I would leave my 1st comment given it really caught my interests. I’ll check back again often to look for new content and articles.

Taśmy termotransferowe December 3, 2010, 5:30 AM

What a great blog. I spend days on the internet reading blogs, about tons of different subjects. I have to first of all give kudos to whoever created your website and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an amazing post. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only a few posses and frankly you have it. The combination of informative and quality content is definitely extremely rare with the large amount of blogs on the internet.

riwiera turecka December 3, 2010, 4:42 PM

I recently came across your web site and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my very first comment. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this website very frequently.

Akcesoria łazienkowe December 5, 2010, 9:26 AM

Can I make a suggestion? I think youve got something good here. But what if you added a couple links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or maybe you could give us something to look at, something that would connect what youre saying to something tangible? Just a suggestion.

dom r December 5, 2010, 5:34 PM

TRUE AND ACCURATE STATISTICS WILL REVEAL SISTER TO SISTER incest is the most popular of all in most societies especially in Canada and USA and MOTHER TO DAUGHTER incest being the second most popular and its always kept their secret including the parent, parents or other family members who may be aware of it thats why a police arrest between them is rarely enforced. Think about it, most sisters always share the same bedroom together no matter what the age difference is where they may continue to share it throughout their teens and even 20’s and also there is no possible risk of pregnancy and im very sure they will always give each other exactly what they truly want and exactly what they truly need and most of all they have NO SHAME or NO FEAR in what they do, whereas brother to sister, brother to brother AND ESPECIALLY FATHER TO DAUGHTER will certainly have fear and shame and thats why this type of incest almost 100% of the time can NEVER be kept secret and the law is always enforced.

PJ December 7, 2010, 2:58 AM

It’s a shame there are so many uneducated people in the comments.

We REALLY need better education in the developed world before we start trying to educate poor countries.

And it’s actually pretty sick to call this authour a pedophile for having an involuntary organism. It’s like calling a rape victim a pervert for the same reason. Look up the word ‘involuntary’. Sheesh!

psycholog Warszawa December 7, 2010, 4:31 AM

I just needed to say that I found your site via Goolge and I am glad I did. Keep up the good work and I will make sure to bookmark you for when I have more free time away from the books. Thanks again!