Women Who Orgasm During Breastfeeding

You don't have to feel ashamed -- it's perfectly natural. An expert tells us why.

woman breastfeeding

Dr. Wendy Walsh: When I was pregnant with my first child, I was hosting a show for TLC called "How'd They Do That?" And every day, my mind was asking the same question about pregnancy and breastfeeding. All my female coworkers became a petri dish for me as I probed their minds for information about what the heck was going on with my body.

I was the most nervous about successfully breastfeeding. Frankly, I had no idea how the two orbs with nerve endings directly connected to some pleasurable southern region could be converted into a cafeteria. One morning, as I sat in the makeup chair with my middle bursting with new life, I posed a seemingly crazy question: Could a woman have an orgasm while breastfeeding?

There was a pause. There was a sly smile from the makeup artist. The hairdresser hooted and hollered. Others just laughed their asses off. But I didn't take my eyes off the makeup artist.

Later, when we were alone, I asked her again. She smiled again. "It's more of a sensuous experience," she said, "not a sexual one. It feels warm and cuddly and pleasurable, but it's different from sex. If you had an orgasm, it wouldn't be on purpose."

Years later, I thought of this conversation. I was in one of my human sexuality classes in my psychology Ph.D. program, and we were learning that the nerve endings in our body can respond to physical stimulation even if our brain is not on board. In this case, we were talking about rape, and the confusing feelings that can happen to victims of rape when during this horrific crime they sometimes experience a spontaneous orgasm. What an awful thought.

When my first daughter was finally born (pried out after 42 weeks in the oven), breastfeeding was anything but pleasurable. I like to call the newborn phase of breastfeeding "the vampire weeks," as that tiny, violent, sucking machine increases milk supply. But after a few months, I realized my makeup artist was right. Totally pleasurable. But a far cry from sexual arousal.

As I continued to nurse, I read far and deep into the benefits of breastfeeding for mother and child. One thing I learned is that prolonged breastfeeding can help reduce your chances of getting breast cancer because it stops your periods and the monthly assault of estrogen on your breasts. That was enough for me, since my mother died of breast cancer. I continued on. I also learned that often babies suckle for comfort rather than from hunger, and that there are psychological benefits to this suckling. That sounded good too.

You saw the title of this article, so you know where I'm going here. I never, ever, mentally connected a breastfeeding experience with a sexual experience. The mental boundary was so great that I was convinced it was impossible. Then one night while I was sleeping, I had one of those fabulous dreams that, if a guy had had it, would have involved moisture. You've heard about them. I woke up from the dream to find that my tiny vampire had been doing some nocturnal suckling while I slept. Let me tell you, the experience totally freaked me out. And that was it. I had a co-sleeping bed beside me after that. I needed that bundle an arm's length away.

Later, in another human sexuality class, I asked my professor about this experience. She confirmed that it is possible and probably quite common, although people have feelings of shame about it. Pleasurable breastfeeding was probably one of nature's ways to make a survival behavior attractive. She also told me that many women quit breastfeeding for this reason. For some women, the feelings of an infant suckling can be so pleasurable that they feel it is somehow wrong. That made me feel sad too. Breastfeeding is not pedophilia. Nature brought mommies and babies together for one of the most physically pleasurable relationships on earth. Let them suckle -- and do enjoy it, ladies. It is such a short period in both of your lives. And if your body responds without your consent, relax. Just buy a co-sleeper bed.

next: Suddenly 15 Again, 40 Years after Woodstock
myrtle beach ocean front rentals January 12, 2011, 6:18 PM

Oh, I just discovered a new delicious place for lunch or dinner.

styropian January 14, 2011, 3:54 PM

Excellent article, regards

dark red hair colours 2 January 14, 2011, 11:45 PM

Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter.

About Chicken Pox January 16, 2011, 2:39 AM

I just couldnt leave your website before telling you that we really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new posts

Sacramento Chamber January 18, 2011, 6:54 AM

This really answered my problem, thank you!

Zestawy Lego  January 20, 2011, 11:40 AM

This is hilarious! You made me smile!

Odilia Eliassen January 20, 2011, 3:54 PM

You should definately read more about this! Please!

plafony do Ĺ‚azienki January 21, 2011, 11:31 AM

I love your website, and I especially love this articles.

Anonymous January 23, 2011, 5:10 AM

SO WHAT IF A WOMAN didn’t want to breastfeed at that time but wanted a shoulder or back rub from a 9 year old girl causing the woman to feel involuntary sexual arousal to orgasms, WOULD THAT ALSO BE LEGAL? WOULD A MAN HAVE THAT SAME LEGAL RIGHT, or would the government send him to prison for 10 years? SO ONLY WOMEN will be able to get away with that due to their engorged clitoris THAT NO ONE CAN SEE through their clothing when they are fully sexually aroused. SO THATS WHY WOMEN get away with being PEDOPHILES and men are SLAUGHTERED in the courts BECAUSE GOVERNMENT ARE MAN HATERS AND MAN KILLING MACHINES so that eventually only the meek and pretty shalt inherit the Earth which are all females.

Przeprowadzki Warszawa January 24, 2011, 4:02 AM

I know one thing: you are a great.

settlement loan February 1, 2011, 8:44 AM

I Will have to come back again when my course load lets up - nevertheless I am getting your Feed so i could read your internet site offline. Cheers.

Rosemary Jimenez February 1, 2011, 4:09 PM

Super-Duper website! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am bookmarking your feeds also

chicken pox in infants February 2, 2011, 8:31 AM

fantastic points altogether, you simply gained a brand new reader. What would you recommend in regards to your post that you made a few days ago? Any positive?

house appraisal February 6, 2011, 10:46 PM

Is it alright to put part of this on my personal webpage if I submit a reference to this webpage?

Mellissa  February 16, 2011, 3:49 PM

How can an orgasm not be on purpose? Most women need to apply pressure onto the clitoris by masturbating in order to achieve an orgasm. I don’t know but masturbating in front of a baby or toddler doesn’t seem right.

Dennis February 16, 2011, 3:58 PM

I agree with the last comment. A woman becomeing sexually arousedand masturbating to orgasm is no different than if a man achieved an erection and masturbated to orgasm with ejaculation but women are allowed to do this durung breastfeeding? That does surprise me very much so.

central hearing loss February 18, 2011, 9:30 PM

This is often a fantastic site, could you be interested in making time for an interview regarding just how you designed it? If so e-mail me!

Anonymous February 19, 2011, 3:58 PM

THE LAW ALLOWS WOMEN TO BE PEDOPHILIES during breastfeeding because its legal for women to become sexually aroused with wet secretions,orgasms and lust during the fondling and suckling of their breasts and nipples caused by the physical contact of an infant and alot people including the government deny this fact.

Dom February 19, 2011, 4:03 PM

Anonymous February 19, 2011, 4:12 PM

HAVING SEX does not only involve intercourse, it can also be feeling sexually aroused from other kinds of physical contact which can include breastfeeding thus women are in fact HAVING SEX with an infant, toddler or child when they feel sexual arousal, wet secretions,orgasms and lust during the fondling and suckling of theor breasts and nipples thus that makes this pedophilia. I’m not saying breastfeeding should be illegal, i’m just saying everyone should admit its pedophilia.