Are You a 'Best Friend Mom'?

Here are the warning signs.

dina lohan and lindsay lohan

This week in Forbes, the phenomenon of the "best friend mom" was explored.

How do you know if you're a "best friend mom"?

Forbes gives the following clues:

• You dress like your daughter
  • You offer TMI about your personal life
  • You try to befriend your children's teenage friends

Being a "best friend mom" can mean your teen confides in you more. But, according to this article, moms who try to befriend their teenage children end up leaving them motherless -- at a time when they really need a mom most.

Do you believe you can be a best friend to your child? Or does being a mother mean you can never really be your kid's BFF too?

next: Jon and Kate Rehab
Natalie October 8, 2009, 11:43 AM

I aim for the perfect balance between friend and mom. Granted, my DD is 4, so it’s mostly mom these days, but as she gets older, I want to have a good solid relationship that’s open (but not too open).

Get real October 9, 2009, 7:37 AM

Your children have enough friends…what they need is a P-A-R-E-N-T. They need structure and rules and loving parents who respect themselves and their children (teens) to not drink in front of them, dress like a hooker, or try to be “The cool mom”

These are usually the moms who peaked in high school, and wish to be back there…

Dave October 9, 2009, 3:18 PM

To be a besty may come at a cost. If you are your kids besty you need to ask if yourself if you are leading and mentoring adequately. Sounds pretty self indulgent for parents to aspire to be their kids best friend. Research shows it will end in tears. Mums of America stand up to your responsibilities before it’s too late.

Anonymous October 10, 2009, 2:51 PM

As a child is a teen they need a mother. When your child has children of their own you can befriend them in the wonders of being a mother and raising children but before then it is importent to be a mom. They can make friends but they will never have another person to take their mothers place.

Cal October 25, 2009, 9:44 PM

I’m 16 and my mom is my #1 best friend. I can’t even explain to you. She just… gets me. I hate teenagers; they are self-centered, bitchy and yuck. I am often referred to as 16 going on 40 by my mom, my aunt and their friends. I don’t feel that I am motherless at all because my mom is a mother. Don’t know how she does it but she’s got skills. She’s the coolest person on the planet. Why don’t you judgmental ladies ask the teens what they need?

I know the rules. My mom enforces the rules. I tell my mom everything. She is a Mom-best friend. We’ve got the Gilmore Syndrome. We have a very special relationship that I can’t begin to explain

Kae November 8, 2009, 9:14 AM

I have the best Mum in the world. She’s my best friend and I CAN actually talk tp her about anything. My friend’s are jealous, because she will actually stand up for me against teachers, and ubderstands I need a balance between school and friends. She pays attention to me, and makes sure we have time together, to go shopping and just hang out. She bothers to talk to my friends and listen to my music, to get into my head, instead of just banning it/them out right. I pay attention to what she says if she doesn’t want me to do anything. Because of her, instead of drinking heavily from the age of 14 as most of my friends did, I have a good relationship with alcohol and would never even think of taking drugs. I count her very highly amoungst my friends and she would be the first to hear if something happened to me.