Baby 'Too Fat' for Health Insurance

No, we are not making this up.

Alex Lange

Four-month-old Alex Lange can't get health insurance ... because he's "too fat." His pre-existing condition? Obesity!

He measures 25 inches long and weighs 17 pounds. His height and weight put him in the 99th percentile, and Rocky Mountain Health Plans has turned him down over his weight.

"I could understand if we could control what he's eating. But he's 4 months old. He's breastfeeding. We can't put him on the Atkins diet or on a treadmill," joked his frustrated father, Bernie Lange, a part-time news anchor at KKCO-TV in Grand Junction. "There is just something absurd about denying an infant."

Alex's parents were told insurers don't take babies above the 95th percentile, no matter how healthy.

This just makes us BEYOND angry. How about you?

The World's Largest Babies

Big news! A baby boy weighing 19.2 pounds was born September 24, 2009, in Kisaran, North Sumatra.

The fifth child for Marie Michel was one for the record books. Stephon Hendrix weighed in at 14 pounds, 13 ounces, and was born Sept. 13, 2006, in Norwich, Connecticut. The delivering doctor joked, "He's built like a linebacker."

Nadia Khalina weighing 17.1 pounds was born in the chilly region of Altai, Siberia, on September 26, 2007.

Christmas came early for Adrienne and Anthony Ross -- and in a BIG package. Lillian Ross of McAlester, Okla., weighed 14 pounds and 3 ounces at birth.

Jacob Aaron Ryon was born Jan. 25, 2005, weighing 14 pounds, 1 ounce, in Prineville, Oregon. Here he is in his mom's very strong arms.

Antonio Cruz, born January 28, 2007, in Cancun, Mexico, weighed 14.5 pounds. Antonio is shown next to an average-sized baby for comparison purposes.

Brazilian baby Ademilton Ramos dos Santos weighed 16.7 pounds on his birthday, looking more like a six-month-old than a newborn.

next: New Grads: Bright, Eager . . . and Unemployed
mmcmiley October 13, 2009, 6:00 AM

I am so glad to hear that the insurance company changed their policy after hearing this. Yes, it may have only been because of the media release and they are worried about their reputation, but nonetheless they changed it. I breastfeed all my children with the same result all in the upper percentiles and very healthy to this day. With parents that are taller it is bound to happen. Thanks to this insurance company for having seen a flaw in their process and having the willingness to change it. Now, can the other insurance companies see the changes that need to be made before the gov’t gets involved?

kathy  October 13, 2009, 6:01 AM

My husband’s insurance plan now is that if you are overweight and don’t sign a release with the doctor , your insurance premiums goes up xtra per pay period. So we are disgusted with that and that his take home pay is gettig smaller and smaller because of paying insurance premiums.

Anonymous October 13, 2009, 6:21 AM

marshmellow ok then what have you done give some examples then i have? and to mc-lady i know another corperate name mcdonald’s the government got involve with our health care when Nixon changed healthcare to make us start paying drugs and insurance hello wake up before he was in office and made those changes there were no insurance or drug companies making us pay but i guess you didnt either live in that time or have any knowledge of history the government has been involved since Nixon are u kidding me with you ignorance of american history. Are we that bad off that people dont know this or plain choose to forget or turn a blinds eye

Anonymous October 13, 2009, 6:26 AM

mccmiley in responce hello government always been in control of our health care since the Nixon years are you for real do you know history at all american history. We didnt pay to insurance company’s or drug companies until Nixon took control wake up. Do you have a any knowledge of facts in history and government at all.

Anonymous October 13, 2009, 6:27 AM

ok marshmellow dear prove it tell me what you done probably nothing

Allison October 13, 2009, 6:43 AM

That is crazy— it’s not like she’s overfeeding him rice cereal or something, it’s breastmilk!

morekare October 13, 2009, 8:24 AM

Don’t get angry, get legal. Find a successful attorney who has knowledge of fighting the insurance companies’ denials. Insurance companies use nurses and clerks to do initial intakes of medical cases and they are the ones who review the medical records and they decide which cases should be presented to a doctor for his signature on a denial form. The doctor(s) denying the case are paid and kept on staff based on their rates of denials. This healthy large baby has no health condition that precludes him from receiving health insurance. If his parent(s) are diabetic then that might be taken into consideration as far as denying the baby because diabetic mothers have large infants and their children have a higher than average rate of inheriting diabetes. Sue the insurance company for a huge settlement for wrongfully denying your child and then use part of your settlement to purchase another company’s health insurance. Good luck.

ame i. October 13, 2009, 8:57 AM

My daughters were insured through my late-husband’s employer so we didn’t run into any problems until COBRA ran out after his death.
The same insurance company used by his employer wanted $700 a month, just for me, because I was on anti-depressant & anti-anxiety meds during the 2 years I watched him die from cancer.
This same company wanted $107 a month for my healthy 6 year old, $137 a month for my healthy 8 year old. My 8 year old’s policy had an exclusion for labial adhesions…that hadn’t been a problem since she was 2.
This same company now covers all of us plus my “new” husband through his employer. Our cost is $50 a month & there are no exclusions. Ha!!

maeby October 13, 2009, 9:34 AM

that baby is sooooo cute.

Shannon October 13, 2009, 10:12 AM

I can’t believe it! When my son was this sweet lil boys age he was just as “fat” because he too was a breastfed baby until a lil over 1. He was always at the top of his percentile & even now is off the charts for his height. How can a healthy baby be denied! I call bullshit on the insurance!

Z. Basset October 13, 2009, 6:47 PM

That’s Ridiculous!
He’s a healthy gorgeous baby, I’d try a different insurance company.

Syl October 14, 2009, 2:12 PM

I saw this healthcare crisis coming in the 70s and everyone said I was being melodramatic.When Nixon first became convinced HMOs was the answer to save money there were the same horror stories.People just don’t get how expensive health care is.A friend only makes minimum wage(for the record that’s around $250. a wk. after taxes)so he can’t afford healthcare, rent, utilities, etc. So he goes to a sliding scale fee clinic when desperate. They took one vial of blood, tested for 4 things and the total was $773. of which he’d have to pay $188. to find out everything was fine and this was at a non-profit clinic.In the 70s a study was done showing that with 10% raise in taxes everyone could have basic healthcare.Kennedy wanted it so if you wanted more you could add onto it a secondary policy like Medicare receipients do.We have a higher mortality rate though more advanced technology & pay much more.We are the only civilized nation that allows so many to suffer or go to an ER which is 10 times more expensive.My son was kicked out of ICU less than 12 hrs. after regaining consciousness from a grand mal seizure so severe they were afraid he’d die on medicaid.My SIL had a collapsed lung and though he was doing fine after 2 days they kept him a week just to be sure.He came through ER and had no insurance.Until you work in the system (I did for several yrs.)and see how they manipulate the pay from the govt. you can’t really understand.With basic healthcare businesses don’t have to offer it as an incentive so they can increase the pay & profits.There is more disposable income in the economy. Less suffering & you have sick people staying home & getting well instead of spreading the disease.Your low wage workers are your janitors, security guards, many of your waiter/waitresses, housekeepers, cashiers, etc. Most work in the public thus not only are they more likely to catch something but also to spread it.The only difference between today’s workers & the yrs. before labor laws is poor kids can get treated and their parents are accused of not wanting to pay for healthcare instead of being deemed unworthy.Both my dad & husband had to wait until they were in their 50s to afford to have their teeth pulled & they suffered with abcess gums & rotten teeth to support their family and even then couldn’t afford dentures.So I have some really harsh thoughts for “public servants” who get royalty medical treatment while those they serve get nothing.

snoopy7992 June 25, 2010, 2:42 PM

My son was almost the same size as this baby at 4 months too. Yes, I breastfed and no, there is no diabetes or gestational diabetes in the family. The insurance company is being ridiculous! Just because you have a large baby doesn’t mean the child will grow up to be obese. My doctor said you have to look at the rate of growth. If it’s consistent at every visit and then levels off after the child ages, there’s nothing to worry about. Obviously this insurance company isn’t talking to pediatricians about this issue. By the way, my son is now 12, very athletic, is over 5 ft. tall and 95 lbs. He’s actually considered “smaller” than most boys his age.

Used Golf Clubs September 21, 2010, 12:41 AM

Forum maman March 5, 2011, 4:51 PM

A formidable share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little bit evaluation on this. And he in fact purchased me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I really feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If potential, as you change into expertise, would you mind updating your weblog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Large thumb up for this weblog publish!

eivai April 3, 2011, 3:31 AM

It’s indeed a good post, helped me a lot.