BlackBerries and Bikini Waxes Don't Mix

woman holding wax treatment

Yvette Manessis Corporon: I'm all about multitasking. As a working mom, doing a million things at once isn't a choice, it's a way of life -- plain and simple, it's survival. That said, there comes a time when enough is enough. So listen up, all you multitasking mamas -- there's something you need to know -- BLACKBERRIES AND BIKINI WAXES DO NOT MIX.

Here's how I came to this conclusion: Enjoying a rare trip to the salon the other day, I shoved my BlackBerry in my purse and hopped onto the table for a little maintenance. Eyes closed, leg up in the air, I heard the familiar buzz beckoning from the bottom of my bag. Without missing a beat -- or dripping hot wax on me -- the waxer reached into my purse and handed me the BlackBerry. I admit it, instinct kicked in. Leg still up in the air, I went into work mode and started tapping away on the keyboard while the waxer got back to business.

That's when it hit me.

What the hell was I doing? Is nothing sacred anymore?! Laughing at how ridiculous the whole "working while waxing" thing is, I put the BlackBerry on silent and asked the waxer to shove it back in my bag. She looked at me dead seriously and told me that she didn't mind if I worked while she did. In fact, many of her clients BlackBerry away while she's landscaping their landing strips ... even when they're going Brazilian!

Seriously?! Come on, ladies; has it really come to this? I don't care what deadlines are looming, or how important you think that e-mail is -- some things, like bikini waxes, are sacred. What's next? Responding to e-mails while reading your kid a bedtime story (I know a few women who admit to this)? Or how about sneaking in a text while you're having sex (come on, you know who you are -- and so does your partner).

The bottom line is there is a time and place for multitasking. It's a rare treat to be able to focus on one thing at a time and not be pulled in a million directions. Having someone slather hot wax on you while pulling out your pubic hair is one of those times.

next: And The New Bachelor Is... Jake!
Anonymous October 14, 2009, 10:53 AM

I LOVE this! As a woman who BBM’s while getting waxed, I can totally relate and feel so much better knowing I am not alone :) Next time I will try putting it on silent and leaving it my purse- but not sure I’ll have the willpower to keep it in there the whole time.

Amber October 14, 2009, 10:54 AM

Ive never had a bikini wax but I’m thinking if I was getting one I’d want my blackberry so I’d have something to distract me.

michelle October 14, 2009, 11:03 AM

OK, I’m on board with putting away the blackberry when you’re with your kids/husband, or to grab some good reading time. But for a wax? What’s so sacred about that? In what scary alternate universe is getting a Brazilian our most relaxing activity, worthy of uninterrupted meditative contemplation? [Maybe for a masochist?] I think we totally NEED to be on our blackberry during this time, to distract ourselves.

Stephie October 14, 2009, 11:33 AM

Ha! Seriously, Those darm blackberries have us working 24/7. Instead of making things easier they just make us work around the clock. I’m all for putting down the crackberry for times like these. I’ve actually seem women coming out of the restroom using them. EWWWW!

Mikele October 14, 2009, 12:06 PM

I am guilty of having the Berry on the nightstand during bedtime… *hangs head in shame*

Rita October 14, 2009, 12:19 PM

I think my hubby would automatically divorce me if I txted during sex. I’m a crackberry addict but I think that’s crossing the line. As for the txt and wax, I’ve never had a wax (I prefer to do it myself at home), but if I did I think I’d want my bb to distract me. Hell, I might even twitter about it!!!

Jules October 14, 2009, 1:26 PM

There’s something about being spread eagle on a waxing table while you’re texting away that just doesn’t feel right to me. Sure it’s a way to take your mind off of what’s going on, but yuck. Too funny and kinda yucky at the same time.

Miranda October 14, 2009, 6:52 PM

When I lived in NYC, my waxer actually encouraged me to text or read a magazine while she did her job. She said it actually makes the pain less noticable and it really did. I usually felt uncomfortable texting but I would typically read a gossip magazine and talk about what I read with the waxer. Conversation made me feel more familiar with her and less like she was my servant or something.

Mixed Bunny October 15, 2009, 3:59 AM

I carry my BlackBerry everywhere! It’s always in my hand, in my pocket, in my purse, by/in my bed, on the couch, on the kitchen counter…whatever I’m doing it’s within reach. I do draw the line at church! My friend checks her email and texts @ church. :-/ I’d feel that a massage is more sacred than a wax and the phone should REALLY be put away then. Oh yeah…and sex too lol

bradi October 27, 2009, 8:13 PM

guilty.

Laser Hair Removal Austin November 23, 2009, 4:00 PM

I so agree. Waxing is sacred, just like having a massage or enjoying the fresh breeze somewhere in the Himalayans. Give yourself the break you deserve, girls.