Casey Anthony Labeled Caylee Trouble?

Novelty T-shirts send a damaging message to your kid.

casey and caylee anthony

It's been almost a year since Caylee Anthony's body was found, and her mother Casey has been sitting in jail waiting for her first-degree murder trial to begin. Meanwhile, those who have been following the tragedy continue to speculate on how and why Caylee met her terrible fate, shoved into a plastic garbage bag and tossed into the woods.

Now what the little girl was last wearing is creating even more speculation. According to police reports, Caylee was wearing a shirt that said "Big Trouble Comes in Small Packages." The National Enquirer reports: "In an act that police believe shows she carefully planned her daughter Caylee's murder, Casey dressed the little girl in a T-shirt that sadistically spelled out her sick motive for killing the child."

Does that mean anyone who buys their kid a shirt that says "Here comes trouble" or "Rotten to the Core" is harboring some secret resentment against their child? How does labeling our kids for all the world to see affect their self-esteem?

The prognosis isn't positive, says psychologist Dr. Michelle Golland. "If we perpetuate a negative stereotype of our child, it can become self-fulfilling prophecy -- reinforcing negative behavior." Dr. Golland wonders what the benefit is of letting a child wear a shirt that highlights a negative trait in the first place. "Why not highlight something positive instead?" She also warns that if your kid's wearing a shirt that says "Bratty" or "Sassy," that is how others will perceive your child.

next: What's with the Straight-Haired Barbie?
tennmom October 29, 2009, 10:32 AM

I find words on clothing tacky in general, especially when across the butt.

Anonymous October 29, 2009, 10:40 AM

My child has a shirt that says “Drama is My Middle Name” - but I like the fact that she’s dramatic. I consider it to be a good thing about her. She hams for the camera, bursts into song - it’s who she is. And even when she’s dramatic about something in a negative way, like throwing a tantrum - well, once again, that’s just who she is. She feels things deeply and reacts accordingly. I find it a charming quality in her, one of the main things that makes her HER, but you’ve got me rethinking my purchase now. What I find to be a quality could be what another reader sees as a flaw.

Anonymous October 29, 2009, 10:58 AM

My little one has a t-shirt that says “Warning! I’m a 2 year old!” It brings on lots of chuckles, because he is a very active and fun. Some saying are really cute. But I do agree with Tennmom about saying across the butt. Tacky.

karen October 29, 2009, 11:19 AM

Writing across the butt is so trashy. Some saying are cute but others are terrible. My hillbilly sister-in-law bought my nephew a top that said “I love boobies”. And, just the other day I saw a girl (about 5) at the grocery store. She was a big girl and her outfit was a couple sizes too small. Across the chest it said “Booty Call”. Sick.

littlepeapie October 29, 2009, 11:42 AM

I agree….I think most novelty tees are tacky and especially writing on the bottom..that just calls attention to little girl’s bottoms..just what we need, huh? If my child wears a top with writing, it is totally neutral…like the shirt he has on now, which is a tee with guitars and the words, “Rock, Rock, Rock!”
None of those tacky tees!

Anonymous October 29, 2009, 11:42 AM

Yeah, I’m agreeing with words across the rear - my mother bought my daughter some, and they immediately got sent back to the store. But this story has more to do with the “attitude” shirts that parents buy for kids, usually for children who can’t even read them yet. While few of us (if ANY) would buy our kid the “Booty Call” shirt, would we have bought Caylee Anthony’s “Big Trouble Comes in Small Packages” shirt without a second thought?

Mother Nature October 29, 2009, 11:58 AM

For heaven’s sake! It’s a tee shirt with a saying on it. Are there REALLY so many uptight prudes walking around these days offended by a cute saying? GET OVER YOURSELVES! Oh, and for the record, my breastfed son also has a shirt that reads “I love boobies”.

Anon October 29, 2009, 12:08 PM

Mother Nature, you rock!

I LOVE humor shirts, own quite a collection and will spend a full half hour LOL in stores that carry decent quantities of them!

PlumbLucky October 29, 2009, 12:49 PM

I have to agree with Mother Nature - world of difference between a five year old having Booty Call splashed across the derriere vs. a smart-alecky shirt like “Big Trouble in Little Packages”. As much as I dislike Casey Anthony, I do believe that folks are digging a little too deeply with this one…

My son had a onsie in his early days that declared him to be “Momma’s Little Monster”. He wore it on days when I’d gotten little sleep and there was no soothing him. Why? Because it made me giggle when I would have otherwise broken down in tears for the better part of the day!

Anonymous October 29, 2009, 2:11 PM

meat packages?

Anonymous October 30, 2009, 12:35 AM

Across the rear, tacky!!! My 3yo. son has a shirt that says,”Daddy’s little helper, will work for cookies”. What is wrong with that?

Jennifer A November 2, 2009, 5:58 AM

sorry, totally disagree here on the t-shirts. My son has a speech delay, behavioral issues and SPD and I put him in quirky shirts on a regular basis to deflect some of the stares we get when his behavior is not “perfect.” I usually crack up his teachers on a weekly basis with shirts like, Next Tantrum :05, and I tried to be good, but I got bored. I think its funny and he knows he is loved no matter what. My husband, daughter and I all have shirts like this and its a huge joke among us.
Across the butt? NO ONE should wear it.

Anonymous November 28, 2009, 12:13 AM

Maybe it is digging too deeply talking about t- shirts with funny phrases..but we’re talking about what’s in the mind of a very cold blooded murderer,who is not a normal mother.
This horrible b—— was really thinking her child was too much “trouble” to be allowed to live.