Dad Buys 4-Year-Old Daughter a Gun

What's wrong with this picture?

pink hand gun

When we read about this on Strollerderby, we couldn't believe our eyes.

Sean Jerguson, a Republican state representative in Georgia, bought his 4-year-old daughter her own hot pink .22 caliber gun for her birthday.

His son's fourth birthday is coming up, and he plans to buy his little boy a blue gun of his own.

Jerguson supports the right to bear arms, and he is buying these guns to prove how strongly he feels about the issue.

Whether you are for gun control or against it, do you think that this dad should have bought his 4-year-old a gun (even if he never actually lets her use it)?

next: Like Mother, So Does Daughter Age
k8blujay October 27, 2009, 12:42 PM

Ok, I’m all for the 2nd amendment and upholding it… but there is no logical reason that a 4 year old needs a gun. I would have serious issue with this if my husband tries this in our house.

JD in Van October 27, 2009, 1:14 PM

I wonder if he’ll continue to suport the right for four year olds to bear arms when one of his darling children shoots themselves or eachother.

whenisitenough October 27, 2009, 1:59 PM

Okay,

I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he isn’t this stupid, and this was a stunt just to get publicity etc. I just don’t think he thought beyond that, IF these weapons are for real, and working then one of his children will hurt them selves or someone else one day it is inevitable, I just hope either him or his wife realizes that guns are dangerous and keep the guns locked up until their children at least learn their multiplication tables

Rob October 27, 2009, 2:45 PM

Based on the comments I’ve seen posted so far it appears that people seem to think that the Congressman is letting his kids play with this gun like it’s some kind of toy. I am sure the Congressman is well aware of the safety issues concerning children and guns and is keeping the gun locked up away from them until they are old enough to learn to shoot it responsibly. Unless he really is stupid enough to have tossed a loaded gun into the toybox with all his daughters other toys then I can’t imagine why any reasonable person would be so sure that this will end with one of his children or their friends being shot.

Lissalou October 27, 2009, 2:51 PM

I agree with Rob. Most gun owners are responsible owners. If every home that had a gun in it ended up with kids shooting themselves or other people, we would read about several a day. I’m sure he didn’t just hand the gun over with a “have fun” thrown in.
p.s. I also own a pink .22

Jackie T Ewing October 27, 2009, 3:13 PM

One can only hope that he teaches the kids gun awareness as he seems hell bent on giving them guns. I cannot really compute this, neither logically, nor emotionally. It makes me want to DO something to stop him, but therein lies the problem. Does the word dingbat ring true here?

Rachel October 27, 2009, 3:15 PM

Thanks, Rob. A voice of reason. It seems all I’m reading on mom”logic” anymore are a bunch of one-sided, illogical arguments. Maybe it’s time to read elsewhere…

marlene becker October 27, 2009, 3:33 PM

this has got to be a joke. first of all 2ammendment doesn’t tell you to give your child who can’t even cut their meat yet a gun. we have laws that say no drinking, no driving, no buying or selling of certain things to children for a reason. this is so ridiculous! sounds like he did it just because he could. did he tell the man selling the gun who it was for? doubt that. who in gods name would say sure, great gift. is she a righty or a lefty ? a 4 yr. old doesn’t even go out by themselves. why ? hmmmm, pedophiles,kidnappers,rapists, murderers ? where is the mom in all of this? or does she have a matching one?is this a publicity stunt ? it surely is the dumbest thing I ever heard of !we do have laws in this country: to vote to go to war to drink to drive to marry, now why does this man not realize that we have these laws to protect our children not harm them.this was a dumb move on his part. bad judgement call buddy…

Anonymous October 27, 2009, 3:51 PM

You guys are all insane. He’s not actually giving the gun to the kid. He bought it FOR her, but not for her right now. Get a grip and actually ready between the lines. Another ‘great’ post mom’logic’

Jennifer October 27, 2009, 3:51 PM

I believe there are many other ways he could show his support in this matter. Even if the child never gets to use the gun it just makes no sense. Even if the child never hears knowledge of the gun, why waste money.

Anonymous October 27, 2009, 3:55 PM

I grew up in a family where guns were very common. My grandfather used to sell guns, and had many in his house where my cousins and I would get together and play. We were ALWAYS taught that guns are not toys - but we were never taught to be afraid of them. I shot a gun for the first time (a .22, incidentally) when I was 7 years old. Yet I was never tempted to play with guns. I was interested in how they worked, yes, but I respected their power. Teaching children to be RESPONSIBLE with firearms is much better than sheltering them and making them afraid of guns. 4 is a little young to use one, but in a few years his children can and should be able to learn gun safety, and the proper way to handle a gun.

annie October 27, 2009, 3:58 PM

Thank you Rob for actually posting something logical on this site! I know this was said in a couple other posts but seriously, use some common sense…do you really think he just handed the gun over to his daughter?! Do you really think he does not know the importance of gun safety?! With that said-my son got his first gun at about that age. Yes, that’s what I said and I’m perfectly fine with it! His grandfather bought it for him as he is (as well as my husband) are avid hunters. My son was never actually in possession of the gun (and still isn’t at 10 yrs old) but we do take him target shooting several times a year and this will be his first year hunting with this dad. He has taken all of the safety courses and knows how dangerous guns can be if mishandled. We do have the guns in our home under lock and key but the ammunition is always stored outside of the home also under lock and key. Its all about using common sense…which I have come to the conclusion that half the moms that post on this site do not have!

Denise October 27, 2009, 5:55 PM

are you freaking kidding me??!!! we will be reading tha she “accidentally” killed her brother or him……….sad

Tayn October 27, 2009, 6:00 PM

I don’t see anything wrong with it. I got a gun when I was 10. What’s the big deal? As long as it’s locked up in a gun safe til she’s old enough to use it, i don’t see the problem.

Toni October 27, 2009, 6:10 PM

You people are all freakin crazy, I am going to move to a sane country. Goodbye.

dingobully October 27, 2009, 7:07 PM

The stupidity speaks for itself. But I wonder if he isn’t a left plant to make the right look ignorant. If that’s not the case then the left can rest theirs.

Lissalou October 27, 2009, 9:24 PM

Do any of the moms who post on here have a brain? Did you all take stupid pills before logging on? What is the problem here? All I’m seeing is the word irresponsible being thrown around, but I never read about anything irresponsible going on. She will “accidently” shoot her brother? Why was accidently put in quotes? Because her father bought her a gun, she is now a killer? I knew there was something I was supposed to do with that gun my dad bought me as a kid, shoot siblings! Funny, that never crossed my mind.

Fig October 28, 2009, 5:31 AM

What’s wrong with the picture is that it’s of a larger, “scarier” gun. Granted, .22s can kill, but it’s disingenuous to show a defense-capable handgun in place of a dinky .22. When the daughter is a little older, she’ll easily handle the recoil of a .22, but she’ll have to be much older to deal with the recoil of the irrelevant pictured gun. That means she can learn gun safety at an early age; and, she can learn about guns, without being frightened of them since the dad didn’t actually buy her a Glock. Remember, they are inanimate objects that must be under human control to do *anything*.

Also, I doubt he just handed his daughter a loaded gun, disabled all the safeties, and then told her to rock and roll. Had the father been a race car driver instead, and got his 4-year old daughter a race car (like the gun, not used personally and unsupervised), would there be a similar outcry — especially since cars consistently kill more people per annum than guns? Would people irrationally assume that he lets his 4-year old cruise in “her” race car?

Chad October 28, 2009, 6:25 AM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a responsible man buying a gun as a gift for his child, regardless of their age. He will carry that responsibility all the way through, keeping safety always at the front of his teachings.

Responsible gun owners take safety very seriously, and we teach it to our children. We do not let them hold any gun until we’re certain that they understand the rules and ways of gun safety.

DanZ October 28, 2009, 6:57 AM

Youths who have been properly trained on the use of firearms are MUCH less likely to be on either end of an accidental shooting.

In addition, according to the U.S. Dept. of Justice:
“Boys who own legal firearms, however, have much lower rates of delinquency and drug use and are even slightly less delinquent than nonowners of guns.”

I taught my grandson firearms safety and how to shoot at age six. He is now a responsible, productive member of society.

-dan z-