Dad Buys 4-Year-Old Daughter a Gun

What's wrong with this picture?

pink hand gun

When we read about this on Strollerderby, we couldn't believe our eyes.

Sean Jerguson, a Republican state representative in Georgia, bought his 4-year-old daughter her own hot pink .22 caliber gun for her birthday.

His son's fourth birthday is coming up, and he plans to buy his little boy a blue gun of his own.

Jerguson supports the right to bear arms, and he is buying these guns to prove how strongly he feels about the issue.

Whether you are for gun control or against it, do you think that this dad should have bought his 4-year-old a gun (even if he never actually lets her use it)?

next: Like Mother, So Does Daughter Age
Kt November 8, 2009, 12:04 PM

As a teenager, who was taught gun safety from a very very young age, I think it is ok. A .22 isn’t too powerful, yes you could potentially kill someone with it, but teaching your kids at a young age about guns and gun safety is good. Being scared of guns is just ridiculous.
I’d say it was a good buy, as long as he is teaching his children proper gun safety. I shot my first gun when I was around 5 or 6. And when I was 9 I was at the shooting range with my fatehr, shooting a .357. I’m not scared of guns, I know how to use one if I ever need to, and I know the proper way to store them. There is no problem with this, again, as long as proper gun safety is being taught.

Gail Cooke November 8, 2009, 2:00 PM

Personally, I think it’s just a stunt.

Jes November 8, 2009, 8:10 PM

I grew up shooting and I had my BB gun when I was around 4 then my own rifle when I was 6. It’s important to teach children at a young age about guns and what they’re capable of especially when they’ll be around them all the time like this girl is. Saying that, its unlikely that she can even carry that thing easily and he will always be watching her with it because of how serious he is taking this law.

Lisa November 9, 2009, 9:34 AM

Why not a pink gun? Gun owners want to teach gun safety early and that requires shooting. Girls are more interested if the gun is pink. So why not use that to teach your child?

Is the objection that he is teaching his daughter? No child is given unrestricted access to a gun until they have been taught and proved to be responsible. Any gun owner knows that. I have to assume this post is by a person who doesn’t own guns, has never taught shooting and gun safety.

Like any dangerous sport it is taught early to safeguard the child like swimming. My child was drownpoofed before he was 2. Taught shotguns by 7 and had his own rifle by 9. He was not allowed to use any weapon unless supervised.

Mikee November 9, 2009, 10:02 AM

If Glock made 22LR pistols that were sold in the US, I would own one. The pictured pistol is extremely misleading, in that the referenced article does not specify the firearm purchased for the 4 year old.

And because Glock does not sell pink 22LR pistols, I’ll bet the state Rep did not get his daughter a pink Glock pistol. In fact, the most common pink firearms I have seen sold are single shot 22LR rifles, with small stocks and short barrels, designed specifically for children who shoot, so they can shoot safely.

But a picture of a single shot 22LR is not nearly as inflammatory as a pink Glock, a pistol demonized for decades in the press as invisible to airport x-ray scanners (not true), used by gang bangers (true) and having no safety to prevent accidental firing (not true).

Stranger November 9, 2009, 3:27 PM

Well, let’s see. From the Statistical Abstract of the United States, I see that 75 children under 15 were accidentally killed in firearms accidentd. That’s a pretty small number, considering the number of child years of exposure in the home. For comparison, 810 children drowned, and vehicle accidents claimed 2345. Guns are relatively safe. Swimming pools and cars are not.

Jimbob November 14, 2009, 1:10 PM

A gun is for killing, nothing else. Thankfully I live in a country where we’ve moved on a bit from the days of the wild west.

Akolyte01 November 23, 2009, 9:23 AM

Many many more kids die each year from drowning in pools than from firearm accidents.

It isn’t like he just tossed a gun to his daughter and said ‘have fun.’ He’ll have been carefully observing his daughter every time she is even NEAR that gun, and in all likelyhood, she won’t even touch it without he, or some other adult, being the one in actual control of where it’s pointed and when it’s fired.

Laura December 8, 2009, 4:02 PM

I can’t believe these idiots defending this moron. He should have his kids taken away from him. He knows better than to buy his baby (4 yr. old) a gun. What kind of parent does something so stupid? And we wonder what is wrong with our society….why don’t you just use the gun as a stocking stuffer. This is just SICK!!

Xavier December 8, 2009, 4:03 PM

If that story is true, the man is sick…

SarahPalinsMutantBaby December 8, 2009, 4:17 PM

Surprise, surprise: a Repugnican politician forcing his extreme views on little children. Gee, and a Southerner too—LMAO! So much for being raised to think for yourself/be a FREE individual. Gee, no hypocrisy there, not even a little. =D

Now what will this fear-mongering, one-track-minded, my-way-or-the-highway white-bread give to his mutant brood for birthdays number 5? A “How-to-Burn-Witches-at the Stake” or a “How to Stone Your Wife” kit? I am sure that they each already have faux gold-plated bibles from WalMart on their night stands.

With any luck, his pink and blue bad seeds will knock each other off in a gun battle this weekend at the local park; wonderful for good ol’ boy/girl population control. Keep breeding, redneck—Yeeehaaaw!

Anonymous December 8, 2009, 8:22 PM

I think this father is very irresponsible. To give a child a gun is just plain stupid. What is wrong with this man’s brain. I am sick at my stomach. My grandson is 4 and I can’t fathom giving him something like this. I just don’t think they are mature enough to handle a real gun. Sorry. I am just speechless.

Matt December 8, 2009, 10:11 PM

There is nothing wrong with giving children guns for their birthday as long as they don’t maintain control of them themselves and they are taught how to respect them. It’s no different than a dad giving his 13-year-old son his old corvette or porsche with the understanding that he doesn’t drive it until he is old enough to do so legally. This is totally blown out of proportion. The man is not letting these kids keep the guns in their toy boxes. “just wait until one of his darling kids shoots themselves with the gun.” These kids are going to grow up respecting weapons and use them responsibly when they reach a mature enough age to use them without supervision.

James December 28, 2009, 3:10 PM

“Durr durr derp, I’ve never held a firearm in my life and I hate them for no good reason, durr”

Just because you buy your child a firearm, does not mean he or she will automatically get shot.

If the father in the story exercises proper gun safety, by locking his and his children’s firearms up at all times when not in use, and passing this along to his kids, through proper supervision and training, NOTHING BAD WILL HAPPEN.

Owning a firearm isn’t just about protecting oneself from criminals or defending one’s inalienable rights. Target shooting and, yes, hunting are both thoroughly entertaining activities as well as excellent ways for a family to spend time together.

Also, thanks MomLogic for the less-than-subtle hyperlinks to other articles about gun-related child deaths from otherwise innocuous phrases. I’m pretty sure we already knew what your opinion on the subject was without them. I guarantee that each and every one of those cases was a result of the parents’ own inability to exercise proper gun safety with their kids, and they should rightly get the blame.

The idea of gun ownership isn’t the problem, it never has been. The problem is irresponsible parenting. Though I guess you could chalk that up to just about every problem our kids face today…

Bob December 28, 2009, 3:16 PM

Not that anyone is going to read this on page 3 of the comments page, but both Momlogic and the original article author need to get their facts straight. The gun pictured is NOT THE ONE THE FATHER BOUGHT. That’s a 9mm Glock automatic, a handgun which nobody but military and law enforcement officials have any real business owning.
The father in the story bought his daughter a .22 caliber RIFLE. Like this one:

Jimbo December 28, 2009, 9:28 PM

All I got for my birthday was my father using me to play politics.

James Smith, João Pessoa, Brazil December 29, 2009, 6:04 AM

I understand that he was making a statement. But this is a colossally irresponsible example. It’s this kind of stupidity that gives credence to the term “gun nut”.

Any responsible gun enthusiast would instantly condemn this action.

hotels vergleichen in tuerkei January 26, 2010, 6:09 PM

Formal Plus,big traffic hold experience period contact lip material like improvement at take comment limit cost receive close artist relative powerful drop previous next much safety effective drive doubt detailed direct organization writer no farmer improve politics still introduction manage later writer best think properly bloody necessary tend lay otherwise right since represent relation apply contrast machine election influence western establish any share huge general authority assumption man manage with late belief foundation on mind troop performance raise theory publish charge give physical actual care remain comparison off corner fashion roll noise cut smile

Brandon March 8, 2010, 8:45 AM

This article doesn’t give any of us enough information. Both sides of this issue are inventing context to suit their need.

The guns could be in the toy box or they could be empty and in the gun safe.

For all we know he doesn’t have a round of .22 ammo in the house.

Darth Locke March 14, 2010, 9:58 AM

I was given a black powder derringer when I was 4, I did not fire it until I was about 8 or so, but my father fired it, and showed me how to clean it, and taught me proper respect for firearms. I did not have any access to it when I was young, and no one ever got hurt.

Just sayin…