Why Do YOU Have Sex?

C'mon ... tell us the truth.

Intimate couple

Dr. Wendy Walsh: A new book by renowned evolutionary psychologist Dr. David Buss and psychologist Cindy Meston called Why Women Have Sex gives some astounding answers. The book is a compilation of the results of a three-year study that asked more than 1,000 women why they have sex. They were asked to choose from a list of 237 possible reasons. Two-hundred and thirty-seven. We are nothing if not complicated.

One of the most interesting points is that women have a much wider range of reasons than men for having sex. Makes sense, considering that historically, men need only to look for reproductive fitness -- something that is very visual -- in order to plant their seed. Women, on the other hand, have much higher risks when they choose to engage in sex -- like pregnancy, disease, and, oh yeah, starvation if the guy can't bring home a woolly mammoth. So women traditionally needed to look further than tans and biceps to choose a baby-daddy.

In modern times when medicine, birth control, and a female's own income can reduce the risks associated with sexual intercourse, there is now much more choice for women. According to the book, the reasons women have sex might include marital duty, an adventure into another ethnicity, an effort to "get rid" of her virginity, or an attraction to a sexy brain. Unlike men, who have far more pressure to mate according to physical cues, women may even mate with men who are not classically (symmetrically) physically attractive. Women may become aroused by personality, humor, self-confidence, and social status, among other things.

The book also talks about how a woman's perception of sex can change over her lifespan. For instance, the sexual double standard may affect a young woman's choice less than an older woman. As the mother of a friend of mine likes to remind us, "Darling, you girls are much too old to have a reputation."

One other interesting fact is that men's reports of feelings of arousal pretty much match their physical outcome -- i.e., sexy thoughts upstairs equal blood flow downstairs. However, women are far more interesting (but we knew that!). Women may report being sexually aroused even when monitors inside their vagina reveal no activity. Yes, ladies, sometimes it's all in our heads.

The book Why Women Have Sex by Drs. Buss and Meston is available now.

next: 'Biggest Loser' Contestant Abby Is Our Hero
CHARLES MARK October 6, 2009, 5:02 PM

I WANT U

ame i. October 6, 2009, 5:32 PM

Hmm.
Personally, I have sex because my husband is damn good at it and I love the hell out of that man.
With my late-husband, I had sex so he would shut up, stop pouting, and because I wanted two children. Everything worked on all 3
counts.

Fashion Trends October 12, 2010, 5:01 PM

The existing fashion climate can be a bit depressing, nevertheless this entry helps us remember why we adore it.Nice work, thanks for the article, we members of the fashion marketplace are grateful for the time and energy.

Cure Hemorrhoids November 27, 2010, 3:53 PM

Very useful website. Nice piece of info, very well written article.

Toro Lawn Mower Belts December 17, 2010, 11:16 PM

Eccentricity is not, as dull people would have us believe, a form of madness. It is often a kind of innocent pride, and the man of genius and the aristocrat are frequently regarded as eccentrics because genius and aristocrat are entirely unafraid of and uninfluenced by the opinions and vagaries of the crowd.

Merchant Account December 24, 2010, 4:19 PM

properly written post. noted.

Wooden Window Blinds January 13, 2011, 5:48 PM

Refreshing and I appreciate the effort you have made in publishing this article.very informative. I wish there were additional sites like it. Nonetheless, I thought it was around time I posted.I am not that much of a reader to be candid but your sites pretty first-class, keep it up I have your website favorited to keep up with any further posts.

Thuy Jensvold January 20, 2011, 5:40 PM

Lovely post, thanks to whoever thought of it and for making the effort to think of it

Wilfredo Baccari January 22, 2011, 12:26 PM

thanks from los angeles

fizywelko January 24, 2011, 3:52 AM

Very exciting article. Thing has been handwritten in rattling overnice style. I revel datum this soft of squeeze. Thanks for intercourse ample noesis.
student loan consolidation

Marianna Scheaffer January 25, 2011, 5:02 PM

Fantastic ideas, thanks to whoever thought of it and for taking the time to think of it

Andree Cyrus February 1, 2011, 3:31 PM

Great info and right to the point. I am not sure if this is really the best place to ask but do you guys have any thoughts on where to get some professional writers? Thanks :)

Blackjack February 10, 2011, 4:28 PM

I’d have to check with you here. Which is not one thing I normally do! I get pleasure from studying a publish that may make people think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to comment!

Darrell Deaguero February 20, 2011, 6:42 PM

Lovely website! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am bookmarking your feeds also

erektionsprobleme February 25, 2011, 7:13 PM

My spouse and i in fact just like your article with your current internet site all in all!

buty February 26, 2011, 6:22 PM

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an edginess over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

program tv February 27, 2011, 1:50 AM

Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely great. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it wise. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is really a great web site.

program tv February 27, 2011, 3:19 AM

It’s appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could I want to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!

program telewizyjny February 27, 2011, 5:41 AM

I like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I am quite sure I’ll learn plenty of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

pilka nozna February 27, 2011, 9:52 AM

Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely wonderful. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise. I can not wait to read far more from you. This is actually a great website.