Fabulous Closets on a Dime

Mary Alice Haney and Lisa Adams: Of course we all want to have lux closets that all the stars seem to be raving about, but what does it cost? Do you really have thousands of dollars to spend on the closet of your dreams?

Don't fret -- we have the perfect answer for you. Follow these five steps and pretty soon you'll be stepping into a closet even your favorite celeb would be jealous of.

Fabulous Closets on a Dime

Step 1: Accents

Search your surroundings! Pick a few plush, lush-looking accents from the flea market or Goodwill -- from pillows and rugs to paintings or lamps. Your eye will be drawn to that unique piece in your new closet. Check out these fantastic Target finds!

Decorative Pillow

100% Thai Silk Decorative Pillow in Garnish Argento
, $44.95

Lamp

Paper Shade Table Lamp, $29.99

Wall Canvas

Buddha by Miguel Paredes, Authentic Giclee Print
, $49.99

Step 2: Hardware

Home Depot and Lowe's are our friends, ladies! Take a trip to your local hardware store, or better yet, search unique furniture shops and pick out cool handles and knobs to bring a touch of style and luxury to your closet. There are fabulous leather and stainless steel options. Home Depot has plenty of options to jazz up your hardware!

Rustic Drawer Pulls

Liberty 50 MM Small Birdcage Oval Knob, $4.19 each, from Home Depot

Leather Drawer Pulls

Leather Curved Strap Pull, $12.50 each, from Mockett

Classic Door Knobs

Baldwin Peyton Knob Half Dummy Set, Traditional Rose Venetian Bronze, $33.98/set, from Home Depot

Step 3: Mirrors

Stop checking out your outfit in sections, girls! You know, first your top half, then the bottom, by tilting the mirror down at an angle ... Just stop and instead get yourself a full-length mirror. It'll make the room feel bigger, and will open up the space, not to mention you will be able to see your whole body at one time. Ikea has great mirrors to add character to your space.

Mirrors from Ikea

JONDAL Mirror, $49.99

Mirrors from Ikea

HUSNES Mirror, $29.99

Step 4: Paint

Add a bright color to one wall of your closet to add spunk and high energy, or use cool shades like grays, blues, and purples to promote relaxation. Lowe's has a huge variety of beautiful bright colors!

Step 5: Seating

If you have the room, add a sitting area. Why not? Your favorite boutiques have them, so if you have the room, then indulge. The seating comes in handy when trying to decide on which shoes to wear. Plus, adding a sitting area makes the closet a true living space. Be on the lookout while in your local Goodwill for these great buys.

next: Women Without Children Should Get Maternity Leave, Survey Says
Nicole October 18, 2009, 1:15 PM

Since when has $45 for a throw pillow been “design on a dime”? That is expensive!! I could make that pillow for less than $10!!! I am not spending $45 on a friggin throw pillow!!

Anonymous October 18, 2009, 9:22 PM

Wow,not good.

Anon October 19, 2009, 8:32 AM

You’re assuming we all have 1,000 sqaure foot walk-in closets. Waste of my time.

annie October 19, 2009, 7:44 PM

I did this to one of my closets. You don’t have to have a huge closet for a makeover like this. I just needed a place for my many purses and jewelry so I transformed the small walk-in closet in our family room. I bought most of the items I used at either Goodwill, on Ebay and at antique markets. I painted the ceiling black since the theme was black & white toile. I put up toile curtains to hide the shelves that hold most of my purses and decorated the walls with my antique mirrors, plaques and hooks for the jewelry. Then I added an antique stool for a “sitting area”. It was inexpensive and turned out looking like I spent a fortune! I think it’s my favorite place in the whole house!

StuffSmart December 22, 2009, 1:54 AM

Now, I’m inspired to see what I can do to spice up my closet.

cheapviagra8341 August 30, 2010, 11:36 AM
beljamin best web designer September 20, 2010, 9:46 AM

Wonderful tips. Information about designing at this website is more inspirational. I hope you will add extra details about logo designing .

fizywelko January 20, 2011, 5:06 AM

Thanks a lot for enjoying this exemplar article with me. I am appreciating it really untold! Search forrad to added enthusiastic article. Worthy fortune to the author! all the champion!
Bipolar Symptoms

leftrgght012 January 25, 2011, 5:36 AM

Still there is room for greater development and I would recommend more emphasis on research and of course it will bring a better situation. Thanks for sharing a nice read. Cheers
birthday wishes

Allenwood February 4, 2011, 11:20 PM

bed - Add a beautiful rug to a room to warm a cold space or update a traditional look. We have a massive choice of different sizes and colours.

Allenwood February 4, 2011, 11:23 PM

Katie March 7, 2011, 6:30 PM

Very Nice. Thanks
Ikea Closets

Futon Beds With Storage  May 11, 2011, 4:44 AM

I bought this mattress topper because I suffer with bed sores. Since I have had the mattress I have had a good nights sleep with very little pain/bed sores..

Pharmf163 May 13, 2011, 10:05 PM

Hello! ebbkked interesting ebbkked site!