Father Leaves for Iraq, Brings Us to Tears

This photo made us cry today.

When Staff Sgt. Brett Bennethum was leaving for his one-year deployment to Iraq, saying goodbye to his pregnant wife and two kids was hard to do.

Paige Bennethum, 4, of Laureldale refused to let go of her fathers hand

But it was perhaps hardest on his 4-year-old daughter, Paige.

When Brett joined his fellow soldiers in formation, getting ready to leave, his daughter followed him, grabbed onto his right hand, and wouldn't let go.

"I called to her a couple of times, but she wouldn't budge," Paige's mom Abby told the Reading Eagle. "I don't know if the officers didn't see her because they were in the back row, or they simply didn't say anything about her being there. She just wouldn't let go of him."

This image just brings us to tears. How powerful.

next: Are You a 'Best Friend Mom'?
Momof2 October 8, 2009, 1:00 PM

Awwwww! Poor Baby! This is going to make me cry!

Wendy Bonzo October 8, 2009, 2:37 PM

The deployments are so very hard for the children, they just don’t understand why mom or dad have to leave for a long time.

samantha October 8, 2009, 5:26 PM

God Bless this family! I pray the father and all our troops make it back home to their families.

Sherry October 8, 2009, 8:22 PM

This was so touching. Thanks to the herous in this country. This little girl is one in her own rite!

michelle October 9, 2009, 1:37 PM

Support our troops — bring them home. I’m so glad Pres Obama is ending this war that has never made any sense. It’s criminal that we have been sending the parents of small children to their deaths for NO REASON.

Mother of 3 October 9, 2009, 2:30 PM

It was their decision to enlist!

D October 13, 2009, 2:30 PM

I remember how hard it was to see my ex husband leaving for basic training… I can’t imagine what it’s going to be like when he goes overseas. I’m feeling happy now that we never had children… so rough!

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 2:33 PM

Great information! Enjoyable to read. I have got a small opinion to make about shirts.

maria<3 May 22, 2011, 10:48 AM

Mother of 3,
So what you are saying is that they deserve having to split up their family and lose their father because he decided to be brave and fight for his country, which a lot of people(including me)would never be able to do. He is making an amazing and large sacrifice and your saying that he deserves to go through this hard time to because he chose defend this country… Including YOU? Also, he may have enlisted to have college paid for before he had a family and then he fell in love and had a daughter.I suppose you’ll say it was their own fault for falling in love and having kids. So he should have never gotten married or had a family because he decided to make the ultimate sacrifice for his nation… That makes a lot of sense mother of 3. Just kidding.