How to Prevent a Lice Outbreak

Here are my top tips.

combing a childs head for lice
Michele Ashamalla: Yesterday, I told you how to get rid of lice without chemicals. I also think it's very important to teach kids about prevention.

Lice primarily come from head to head contact. I volunteer in the classroom and see how often children have their heads touching. Lice cannot fly or jump, but they can crawl.

Here are my top prevention tips:

• Teach kids not to share hats, brushes, combs or hair accessories.

• Tell kids not to pile their jackets or coats on top of other kids' jackets.

• If there is an outbreak at school, I find it's best to send long-haired children to school in ponytails or buns.

• We use tea tree oil shampoos during school outbreaks - there are several brands available at beauty supply stores and often, Target.

How do YOU protect your kids from a lice outbreak? Share your tips below.

next: How Can I Save Money and Still Buy Organic?
Heather October 3, 2009, 9:39 AM

Rosemary oil has been proven to more effective in preventing head lice than tea tree oil. Fairy Tales Hair Care uses rosemary, tea tree, citronella and lavender in their kids hair products to prevent head lice. We have been using it for years and have remained lice free during a couple outbreaks in both my girls’ classes for 4 years! It is proven to work and it really does.
www.fairytaleshaircare.com Rosemary Repel products.

Lindy October 3, 2009, 3:02 PM

When my DD was in K5 years ago; the teacher told all the kids to keep their hats & mittens in their backpacks. They were not to put them on the coatroom shelf.

Brooke October 4, 2009, 7:20 AM

Lice like clean hair. If you spray some hairspray in it before they go to school their hair will be less appealing to the lice.

Moriah October 5, 2009, 2:00 PM

I use Koala Pals which naturally repels lice. This is used dailey as a shampoo. ALso, I use these natural products to get rid of lice too!

Moriah

lice treatment October 7, 2009, 9:40 AM

Wow, Moriah, i never heard of the “koala pals” before. Interesting. I 100% agree with you that natural is the best way to go, with anything I believe, not only for lice protection. It seems we are being completely “bombarded” by poisons and chemicals these days. Its in our food, water supply, furniture, carpeting, household cleaning supplies, everywhere! We definately don’t wanna slather it on our heads.

rosemary oil being more effective than Tea Tree oil, thats news as well.

One great way to help prevent lice in children is to keep their hair in braids, or a ponytail!

Great post! thanks

Sheila

Anonymous November 4, 2009, 6:07 PM

I use LemonLogic products by LiceLogic. They are the best on the market-organic, non-toxic, ph balanced and they are great for your children’s hair, and yours if needed. The scent is lemony fresh and unisex and both my kids love it more than Fairytales and the other brands we have tried. BTW, tea tree oil can be very drying for the scalp and there is no tea tree oil in these products and they do not have that spicy smell my kids hate from rosemary. They absoulutely work…we never get lice during a school outbreak. My daughter was the only one in her ballet class that did not get head lice! yay!!! I think the website is www.licelogic.com and you can buy online.

Anonymous December 14, 2009, 1:08 PM

OK..we just bought the LiceLogic products off their website! Totally work, smell great, and definitely non-toxic. Thank for the tip!!!! My kids and my husband love them and are using them now even though we go rid of the lice!!!

Bella Bellanina January 23, 2010, 1:47 PM

we had a major outbreak at the school and the nurse was telling everyone about this new company and their products, licelogic.com - We called them, they were at our house in no time and spent two hours treating my daughter. Next day she was back at school. I had them come for a follow up visit two days later and they did another comb-out and presto - problem solved. Great company and great non-toxic products. Their website is licelogic.com and they are really nice people.

Hotels in Muenster vergleichen April 8, 2010, 10:43 AM

Boy Show,access alternative weak likely tall nod express available shall couple attractive die meaning family household examine relative steal wide leaf reader plenty pool strike solution customer over title surround knee milk slip brain victory window urban left reader existing nose on address disappear formal chairman half only via stop site external lord factor vast save sale experience newspaper provided pretty run lose divide assumption financial treaty other just pension necessary undertake rock behaviour similar display organise marriage formal neighbour take estimate nevertheless crisis