In L.A., the Jobless Get Swine Flu Vaccine First

Editor's note: momlogic values the right of every woman to have -- and express -- her opinion, and this post is no exception. For those who have a strong reaction to the sentiments expressed below, we encourage you to make your voice heard in the comment section below or in our community.

Why is it that I, someone who has a job and health insurance, can't get the swine flu vaccine for my child or myself, while millions of jobless losers can?

upset looking woman in clinic

Radical Mommy: For months, I have been calling my son's pediatrician's office to see when the swine flu vaccine is arriving, and for months I have been told, "We're not sure when we're getting it."

Anxious to get my son and myself, who has asthma, vaccinated, I started calling around to different doctors' offices. "Do you have the swine flu vaccine?" I asked hopefully. "No, and we don't know when we're getting it." It was the same conversation over and over again.

Confused about whether the vaccine had even been released, because surely at least one doctor would have it (maybe they even had it and then ran out of it -- but at least they had it), I called my sister in Connecticut to find out if it was available where she lives. Low and behold, not only was it available, but her kids had already had the vaccine. Jesus! WTF????? Why didn't Los Angeles have the vaccine???

Shortly thereafter, I started seeing local news reports on the free "clinics" set up in various low-income areas of L.A. (not every one of them was in a low-income area -- but put it this way, there was only one within 20 miles of me that I would even consider going to), where people were lining up all day long to get the vaccine. What???? Are you telling me that not only are they getting the vaccine for free (which I'm all for), but that if I want to get myself and my kid vaccinated, I have to take a day off work and stand in line with a load of people who seemingly don't have jobs?

How did I know that so many of them didn't have jobs? Well, let me tell you ... a lot of them were 16 and pregnant, many of them were still in their pajamas, and the rest of them, trust me I can tell, don't have full-time jobs.

I can't tell you how furious I am. I work very hard, and part of the reason why is for the health insurance that my company provides me -- but part of the deal is that I come to work every day -- not stand in line for vaccinations.

Now I know that a few of the people on those lines have jobs, but I also know that many don't, and I don't think that being jobless should be the criteria for getting the swine flu vaccine before other hard-working people who can't spare the time to stand around all day.

next: Keep Your Kids Out of My Neighborhood!
Rachel October 30, 2009, 12:57 PM

While I don’t agree with her approach, I understand Radical Mommy’s frustration. I have good insurance, a child with asthma, and can’t find the vaccine to save my life. I’ve called the public health department and have been told that, at this time, it’s only being given to the homeless and uninsured high risk groups. Fiscally, this makes sense, I suppose. If someone in my family gets sick with the flu and requires medical attention, the hospital/doctor will get the money owed to them. If an uninsured/homeless person gets sick and requires medical attention, the public is more likely to end up picking up the tab and/or the medical facility losing money. It doesn’t lessen the aggravation, however, since my child has asthma…

Anonymous October 30, 2009, 1:05 PM

low income losers get everything for free

Anonymous October 30, 2009, 1:13 PM

People working should get shots first because we have jobs to go to unlike the (non-working) low income people leeching off the system.

no to health care reform October 30, 2009, 2:06 PM

Just wait until we get the new health care reform…a lot of treatment will be harder to get.

AC October 30, 2009, 2:51 PM

Jobless losers?! I already have bias on this article before I start to read it, that’s very offensive. And pregnant women, no matter their age or the fact that they have a job or not are first in line regardless even above those of us with asthma no matter our age.

Terreece Clarke October 30, 2009, 3:19 PM

If you wanted to generate hits you got it, if you wanted anyone to take you seriously you shot yourself in the foot which is actually in your mouth.

A commenter thought you may have lost your point’s validity in the ham handed, ignorant way you stated your case.

I got your points loud and clear:

1. Poor people deserve to get sick and/or die. So do their babies.
2. People who have lost their jobs for whatever reason deserve to get sick and/or die. So do their babies.
3. People who have less than mainstream fashion choices deserve to get sick and/or die. So do their babies.
4. People who live in neighborhoods you wouldn’t even consider going into deserve to get sick and/or die. So do their babies.
5. People who have the blessing to have a job, the privilege of calling a doctor’s office for the vaccine without consideration to the cost, who can rule out living, driving through or thinking about “those neighborhoods” deserve to have the shot, given at their convenience, in comfort and stylishly dressed.

If you really cared about your asthmatic child you’d have your behind in the line. I’d wander the depths of hell if it meant my child was safe and I wouldn’t wonder why the Devil was in pajamas. Gosh, I hope you don’t lose your job and become one of “those people.”

Anonymous October 30, 2009, 3:22 PM

that’s right

FR October 31, 2009, 10:00 AM

You’re such a loser.

Anonymous October 31, 2009, 1:36 PM

FR is a loser

Miss_misti November 3, 2009, 4:38 AM

Ok first I know its frustrating not being able to get your child the vax BUT THAT DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT to put people down who are jobless… Just because someone is Jobless does NOT MAKE THEM A LOSER… One day it could be you who is JOBLESS and then I guess in your own words you would be a loser, NO ONE is exempt from Losing a job in today’s economy. And if you cant miss JUST 1 DAY of work to worry about the health of your child HOW IMPORTANT is it to you???? I mean really if you went to the Dr you would have to miss sometime from work(MOST LIKELY) but if its that important I know I would surly take one day off work for the health of My children!!!! So Not only are you Ignorant but Your making a Big fuss over something that OBVIOUSLY isnt that important… This Post is DUMB…. Many people are frustrated that its hard to get the Vax but still are not being rude and ignorant to those who do…….

Shirley November 3, 2009, 4:54 AM

This doesn’t make sense…but then again nothing the Government does makes sense…I heard that Prisoners are gong to get the H1N1 shots before anyone else..That is NOT right…
I have a Blog on Blogger.com (If I were President)…a lot of things need changed…Check out my views and comment on them..Love to hear from you.

laid off mommy November 3, 2009, 6:57 AM

How insensitive this woman is! I found her comments to be very offensive. Does she know that we are in a recession and that many of these so-called “jobless losers” could be her friends, neighbors, family members? Just because she is so “hard working” (as if no one else is), does that make her exempt from standing in line with all us low life slackers? I certainly understand her concern for her child, and wanting him to get the vaccine, but jeesh, show some compassion for others who are less fortunate! I am hard working, jobless but NOT a loser.

Anonymous November 6, 2009, 10:53 AM

what a bigoted b****

Shelley November 23, 2009, 5:57 AM

The thing that amazes me about “Radical Mommy” is that after reading this article spewing her bigotry and slamming these “jobless losers standing around in their pajamas,” and stating that she knew they were jobless because of the way they looked, I was AMAZED that she admits to “not washing her hair for 16 days, not showering for over a week.” You can read her article “I Admit it! I an Gross!” on this site.
THIS WOMAN, AND BELEIVE ME, I USE THE TERM VERY LOSELY, IS A TOTAL NUTJOB!

3 peaks challenge March 6, 2011, 4:15 PM

A really good set of info which I will be certainly coming back to read again. Thanks very much to all those who contribute.