Jon Doing Right Thing for Wrong Reason?

Regardless of his motives, one mom thinks Jon Gosselin's decision to stop the show is a good thing.

Jon Gosselin

Dr. Michelle Golland: Jon Gosselin is doing the right thing by stopping the filming of the new show "Kate Plus 8." It seems like everyone other than Kate Gosselin believes it is the right thing to do. I believe part of her knows it is the correct thing for the mental and emotional well-being of her eight children, but the breadwinner of this large family is struggling with how she will pay her bills. I can empathize with that completely.

I am sure the amount of money they are making right now may be hard to equal in other "normal" jobs, but as I said before, Kate Gosselin has found her career. It is the career of a writer, TV personality/mom, and TV host. She has written a book -- and I am sure has another book or two in her for single moms or women going through conflicted divorces. These are all admirable jobs she does very well. I wish that she would recognize she doesn't need to subject her children any longer to the chaos that has exploded around her. She can be her own full-blown TV personality brand, just "Kate." That sounds really good, just "Kate"!

I am sure she is frustrated that her plans have been stopped by her soon-to-be ex-husband because, as we have unfortunately witnessed, their divorce has become a series of power and control struggles that were never resolved within the marriage. They now get played out via lawyers, managers, television crews, and networks.

After watching Jon Gosselin on Larry King the other night, I must say I am less disappointed in him as a father than I was before his decision to stop the taping of the show. I am still disgusted by many of his actions, but at least he appears to acknowledge some of his mistakes. Like you, I don't know what his motives are -- whether they are for more money or more control of the show or possibly true concern for his children. I actually don't even care about his motives at this point in time. You see, even when we do the right thing for the wrong reason, it is still right.

Jon seems to be aware that he has not been much of a man or a father lately -- and that he sees how his passive and self-centered attitude has contributed to much of the demise of his marriage and his current life. My hope for Jon is that he takes some time to discover his own career path so that the pressure to make money via reality TV is diffused.

Any therapist would recommend stopping the show at this point for the welfare of the children and to create a better environment to hammer out the details of the divorce. Being under the scrutiny of the public is creating problems now, in addition to future problems we can't foresee. Witnessing the venom of both of their parents' anger towards each other is traumatizing enough for the children, let alone to have countless magazines and DVDs to memorialize it for their future consumption. The Gosselin kids deserve better. They deserve a respite from the glare of the cameras, the public, and parents not battling it out on television.

next: Worst. Baby. Costume. EVER.
Kristen October 6, 2009, 4:36 AM

You know when Jon grows up and gets a job that can help support his family then definately he can say STOP the show but until then, Kate still has bills to pay and she is still dealing with an erratic little boy. Kate is waking up everyday not knowing what Jon will do next. I don’t see Jon coming up with a way to replace the income lost and if I were Kate and the thought of being a single mother and having to find a job and put my kids in daycare(how on earth would she afford that?) I would not want the show to stop either. I think this whole divorce would have gone much smoother if it weren’t for JON, he is making the waves and then saying, look we have a messy divorce we can’t continue taping.

Oh please October 6, 2009, 5:18 AM

Please. Jon does NOT want to stop the show. That’s his only source of income. He’s making a hardball money play/gamble and is hoping for

a) a new tv show of his own, or
b) more money from TLC.

And YES, he WILL use his kids to sustain that freewheeling lifestyle he’s come to love.

And by the way, as a mom, I know that EIGHT kids would be impossible to raise on my regular salary. So if Kate and the kids are safe and they want to continue the show, that’s just fine. This show is about reality. Divorce is 50% of ALL marriages. You don’t get more real than that. Maybe the show can deal with aspects of divorce and how it affect the kids, and such. But canceling a reality show because of a reality situation is just…unreal.

Jill October 6, 2009, 7:57 AM

Kristen and Oh Please: YES! You both hit the nail on the head.

Kathleen October 6, 2009, 8:02 AM

“These are all admirable jobs she does very well.” Check your facts! Kate Gosselin did not write the first book. Beth Carson did. See here.
Beth says very clearly, “They lived it and I wrote it.”
Why do you think the second book, which Kate attempted on her own, is nothing more than Bible scriptures and photos? Kate Gosselin can’t string together two words intelligently.

Melissa October 6, 2009, 8:26 AM

Jon will find a job - remember he was working before SHE made him quit his job when the series became so successful? She is just mad that she can’t call all the shots anymore. Jon may have made some bad choices, but who of us is perfect? Those kids need their parents - both of them. And where is all of her money from her “book” and all of the numerous appearances that she does? Where has she hidden that money?? Yeah, my heart bleeds for her - she is a coniving b@#$%… I think it’s funny that she is finally going to have to answer for all the crap she has been pulling. Maybe she should lay off the tanning, manis and pedis and hair salons for awhile so she can “buy food for her kids…”

ame i. October 6, 2009, 8:31 AM

Kate is not admirable in the slightest. The children are the breadwinners of the family, not Jon or Kate. They are exploitive, selfish idiots.

Anonymous October 6, 2009, 8:37 AM

Jon and Kate are pimps

Crystal Gordon October 6, 2009, 5:30 PM

Jon is an @ss.

Harriet October 7, 2009, 9:20 AM

Kate will stop at nothing to get money and fame even if it is exploiting her children. With Kate it is all about Kate. Even though Jon is not Man of the year or even close, Kate is the one fueling the fire by going public with every sordid detail of their lives. You can tell that all her words are carefully chosen to put herself in the best light. How/why has she all of a sudden changed from the demeaning demanding shrew that she was on the show to Mother Of The Year? Most likely fame and money!!!

tracy October 7, 2009, 10:56 AM

I don’t like how Jon has behaved in the past few months, BUT at the end of last season, he said that he did not want to continue the show and she did. I think for the sake of her family and marriage, Kate should have agreed to stop filming. She was never nice to him on the show,and again, I think he is acting like a spoiled child, she brouggt some of it on herself and kids because of her refusal to treat Jon as a husband and partner, rather than her 9th child. Yes he acted like one sometimes, but if you watch the older shows, he really put up with alot of crap from her, and she did this in front of the kids too, which is not good either. Now he has gone off the deep end with his behavior, but it is not a suprise to me.

Cat October 8, 2009, 7:17 AM

jon (lowercase ‘j’ intended) never does anything right, never has. His judgment stinks, he constantly makes bad decisions, and how Kate restrained herself to ONLY yell at him I’ll never know. His latest actions are motivated by vindictiveness, hatred and extreme stupidity. He knows beyond all doubt that he’s inferior to Kate. She will succeed and he won’t. I hope she gets sole custody and that TLC goes ahead with “Kate Plus 8”. He is disgusting and makes me want to vomit. I can’t look at his ugly face or listen to his whiny voice. GO KATE!!!!!!!!!

Cece October 8, 2009, 10:46 AM

I think all of you have forgotten that before the show, this family was struggling financially even when Jon had a job…Had it not been for this show they would still be struggling! I think Jon forgets that it is due to this show that he is able to buy luxury homes in New York City, buy his girlfriend her new floatation devices, and vacation in St. Tropez…He absolutely disgusts me.

nancy October 10, 2009, 9:05 AM

Cece you need to get your facts straight.

1. Jon rented an apt. in NYC he did not buy a house.

2. Hailey had surgery at her fathers clinic. Do you think her Dad’s colleague charged her? So nooooo Jon didn’t pay!!!

3. They went to St. Tropez yes. They stayed on the Ed Hardy designers yacht. Stupid move but other than flights it probably didn’t cost much $$, although it did cost them their dignity.

4. They were not struggling nearly as much they claimed. Jon’s father was a very successful Dentist who was very generous with them and when he died he left them a nice chunk of change.

Susan October 10, 2009, 4:30 PM

I can’t imagine what Kate Gosselin could possibly teach the women of America. Kate is neither charming nor kind and has repeatedly lied to the public (be it church congregations, the Pennsylvania state goverment or the viewers of the Today show) in order to gain sympathy and financial support. There are plenty of women in American who are doing admirable jobs of raising children in difficult times. Kate Gosselin is not one of them.

Nancy October 12, 2009, 8:18 AM

Unless you have personal knowledge of this situation, as a health care professional you really should not comment IMO.

Abigail October 19, 2009, 6:59 PM

I’ve been a single mom since my son was born. What on earth sort of advice does Kate think she can offer me?!?

She’s a “newbie” single mom, and one with helpers galore.

Maybe Kate should humble herself just a wee bit, and learn the ropes from those of us who have single parent seniority.

As for Jon Gosselin… well, he’s just too pathetic for words.

Both Jon and Kate need to swallow a huge dose of humility, and grow up.

Oh, how I wish they would both just go away.

Anonymous March 3, 2011, 4:24 AM