Is Your Husband Stupid?

Is your husband stupid? Apparently, that's what today's advertisers would like you to believe, and perhaps they think it will make you buy their products.

Christina Montoya Fiedler: Take for instance the now infamous Cheerios commercial, in which a husband asks his wife if she is "trying to lose weight," and then subsequently inserts foot in mouth. No husband in his right mind would assume his wife is trying to lose weight and then announce it to her. Watch as the wife tells him to shut up.

And then there is the Yoplait commercial. A husband overhears his wife talking on the phone, telling her girlfriend that she lost tons of weight eating nothing but Boston cream pie, apple turnovers, and white chocolate strawberries. The husband starts rummaging through the fridge in hopes of finding these delectable goodies.

Silly husband ... those are just yogurt flavors. There is not a bit of pie or cake in there. Clearly you are an idiot.

And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, gentleman, Stanley Steemer, the popular carpet-cleaning company, came out with a commercial that lumps you into the same category as children, teens, and pets. Yes, you all make HUGE messes that require steam-cleaning.

So, is this a trend? There are more than just a few out there. Maybe advertisers finally realize that women are the major decision-makers in every family, and they're just trying to get on our good side by making us feel superior. Good move, guys, but for the record, not all husbands are idiots.

next: When Jealousy is a Felony
True Mom October 23, 2009, 5:37 AM

All you have to look at is those ridiculous mindless sitcoms where the Husband is fat and sex starved and stupid,knows nothing of logic, child rearing, the Arts…but the wife is in great shaps, has perfect hair and knows everything.

Why would a woman want to be with this type of husband??

And why can’t Madison Avenue realize that most women want to be surrounded by smart, creative, funny MEN?

Briellis October 23, 2009, 6:36 AM

True Mom took the words right out of my mouth.

Amy October 23, 2009, 6:57 AM

I agree with your sentiment. It does women a disservice too—do we just assume they’re incapable and take on even more of the household burden of decision making and feeling as if we’re alone in making it all work?

My husband doesn’t do things exactly as I do them and you’ll catch me complaining sometimes about his inability to see dirt and clutter but I’m not willing to label him as childlike, incapable, or idiotic. It’s firstly not true and secondly screws me over.

This ad angle is so hackneyed now anyway isn’t it?

ame i. October 23, 2009, 9:29 AM

I’m glad mine isn’t stupid. He’s the sole breadwinner (and bread-baker) in our home. He was single until we married 2 years ago when he was 44. He can cook, clean, repair around the house. He worked from home Monday and offered to wake our 11 year old daughter (9 year old was on Fall break), fed her and took her to school so I and our younger girl could sleep in.
I don’t think I could deal with a stupid husband any easier than he could deal with a stupid wife.

Anonymous October 23, 2009, 10:44 AM

unfortunately I have one of these husbands - you ask why? I ask myself all of the time - married young and didn’t know the mistake I was making. We have two kids so I feel I should stay (wrong decision, I realize) - anyway, I am the decision maker, money maker, and am the one who actually disciplines our kids. So, it’s not all that untrue - this article, I mean.

Anonymous October 23, 2009, 11:41 AM

My husband is an educated men and holds a fairly high postition within his company and have many people under his supervision at work but when he comes home at night it’s as if he is a kid again. He tells me all the time when I complain that he can’t make a decision about anything on his own that he has to make all the decisions all day at work and when he’s home he rather let me make all the decision and the he trusts me completely to make the right ones. I’m glad that he trusts me but sometimes I still wish he would just do it himself!

Jack November 29, 2009, 10:13 PM

That is not true, not even close to reality. It is a fallacy that a lot of people try to promote. You need to break it down well beyond the general premise you are providing.

skippy March 18, 2010, 2:31 PM

I’m a woman who is always offended and irritated when commercials portray men as these bumbling, incapable idiots.

Fashion Trends October 12, 2010, 2:54 PM

I wanted to thank you for this fantastic study!! I additional to my bookmarks, take care

Wedding Program Thank You Wording Examples December 17, 2010, 11:33 PM

Most people, when they criticize, whether they like it or hate it, they’re talking about product. That’s not art, that’s the result of art. Art, to whatever degree we can get a handle on (I’m not sure that we really can) is a process. It begins in the heart and the mind with the eyes and hands.

Credit Card Processing December 22, 2010, 11:11 PM

Thanks for the useful details.

Discount Vertical Blinds January 15, 2011, 10:44 PM

Have to tell you, I certainly had great fun at this webblog. i find it to be refreshing and extremely informative. wish there were more websites like it. At any rate, I felt it was about time I let you know, I will put your site on my blogroll. Thanks once more for taking the time to put this up. I certainly loved every part of it.

Alphonso Laehn January 21, 2011, 9:24 PM

I don’t agree with it, thanks to whoever thought of it and for having the initiave to come up with it

Leigh Spruance January 23, 2011, 2:02 PM

i agree… 100% thks

fizywelko January 23, 2011, 10:40 PM

I score real enjoyed measuring your diary posts.I am impressed.I was hunting for deciding substance on this soul. Salutary spot Impart for intercourse !!!
Bipolar Disorder

Warner Dibenedetto February 15, 2011, 4:14 PM

I simply want to say I’m new to weblog and honestly loved your website. Very likely I’m likely to bookmark your website . You surely have remarkable articles and reviews. Appreciate it for revealing your web site.

Air Jordan 12 March 24, 2011, 12:51 PM

Vast, I require already bookmarked your this side…In the present climate I don’t have reasonably interval looking for deliver assign to but alongside reading beginning vicinity I be required to maintain…it was a convincing start ..

snap back hats wholesale March 28, 2011, 6:30 AM

The Internet is like alcohol in some sense. It accentuates what you would do anyway. If you want to be a loner, you can be more alone. If you want to connect, it makes it easier to connect.

Danny C. McFarland March 29, 2011, 7:22 PM