Kate: 'Jon Left Me with a Thousand Dollars'

Kate Gosselin opens up about financial struggles on the "Today" show.

Earlier this morning, we told you about Jon Gosselin allegedly taking $230,000 out of his and Kate's joint account, leaving Kate only $1,000. She appeared on the "Today" show this morning to tell her side of the story.

Here are some highlights of what she had to say:

Financial Difficulties: "He took $230,000 of the $231,000 we had. I have a stack of bills. The last thing I wanted was to do this show and end up not being able to pay our bills."

Jon's Decision to End the Show: "It has ended our income and our paychecks and our opportunities. I wish Jon would think more about it."

Her Kids' Money: "Financially, the kids are protected. They have the fund that I set up for them. That was my long-term goal. It is secure and substantial ... and it is safe. I had the presence of mind to start that on my own. That's what I want for them, [for] their future to be secure."

How She's Surviving: "I'm hanging in there. It's hard. Every morning I don't know what I'm going to wake up to."

Thoughts on Jon: "He has gone way far off the trail ... Obviously, I am very upset. I can't sleep at night. I can't pay my bills. I think he's receiving bad advice. I think he's making bad decisions."

What's Next: "I've reached out to [Jon]. I'm strangely able to put aside all the anger and the hurt when I talk to him and picture the old Jon, because I want peace so badly."

What do you think about Jon emptying their bank account? Comment below.

next: Bad Idea: Eat Your Food, Get a Cookie
HeeHee October 5, 2009, 8:34 AM

What a friggin’ soap opera!

Robyn October 5, 2009, 8:56 AM

This is just further proof that he does not care about his kids. He says he does but action speaks louder than words. How is he going to support his kids?

Emily October 5, 2009, 8:59 AM

Even if the lawyers get the money back, a lot of it will have to go to the LAWYERS for getting it back. Ugh.

Nikki October 5, 2009, 9:20 AM

oh my god get a life and get of the air you people are selfish and don’t think of your children!!!!!!!!

Shelly October 5, 2009, 9:55 AM

WoW! They both just dishing it out in front of the world, Larry King Live, The Today Show…C’MON! Are they, or shall i say “kate” only doing this mess just so their reality show ratings will go up?

PLEASE JOHN AND KATE..STOP IT!

You guys are getting a darn divorce! Do it in private, FOR YOUR KIDS SAKE! And Kate, how in the world did you allow yourself to think that a reality show would be your income for the rest of your life?! Its pathetic, ridiculous, and pure dysfunctional plus crazy! It’s truly starting to get annoying!

JOHN & KATE, your both parents! Not people who are supposed to be smiling it up to the paparazzi, whining about money your not going to have!

Rachelle October 5, 2009, 10:10 AM

Okay, yes he is a skag for emptying their bank account, but come on? $70,000 a show, and that’s all you’ve got in the bank? If you want to pay your bills sell your million dollar home, get one for half the price (I’m sure you could find one with plenty of space) and cut some expenses. Get the money back from Jon, but in the meantime live smarter! There’s noThing I hate more, than people with tons of money claiming to be poor.

Anonymous October 5, 2009, 12:16 PM

She cannot pay her bills? what the heck is she doing with all the money that she makes in shows and interviews and appearences and her book etc etc?

Anonymous October 5, 2009, 1:31 PM

She can’t pay her bills? maybe she ought to live with the kind of money the rest of us do. She makes more in one show than most people do in a year. I have no sympathy for her or jon. I wish they would just GO AWAY!!!!

Anonymous October 5, 2009, 1:48 PM

She used all her money on fancy clothes, tummy tuck, and that stupid haircut. Waa waa, now no money to pay her bills (if they’re even legitimate bills; probably for more plastic surgeons).

Amber Johnson October 5, 2009, 1:48 PM

They should not be speaking publicly about any of this. So sad.

DivorcedMom October 5, 2009, 2:10 PM

Where is this story any different than every other divorced Mother’s story? Where? How many divorced Moms do any of us know who get to continue living EXACTLY the same lifestyle as they did while married? Unless the courts ALL OVER are going to start changing the rules of divorce, allowing Mother’s and children to remain in the family home and continue living EXACTLY as they were and forcing the husband to continue supporting that lifestyle then Kate needs to get a grip on reality. Sell your lavish home and get a job!

Davina Upson October 5, 2009, 2:17 PM

She is such an actress….for some reason, I don’t believe her. She’s just trying to make $$ since he put a stop to TLC’s production. There is more to this story, than what’s being put out there.

Anonymous October 5, 2009, 4:24 PM

I think Kate’s a liar.

Anonymous October 5, 2009, 4:31 PM

I think Kate has some serious issues.

Anonymous October 5, 2009, 7:53 PM

I think john is a selfish JERK! must be nice to “chill”at the clubs…what a a!@#

Patricia October 6, 2009, 3:11 AM

So Kate, when are you setting up the help me pay my bill’s fund? Give me a break, I can tell you that Jon has probably blown thru that money already. Traveling the world, girlfriends, clothes, etc. How long did you think this show would last, when someone has an opportunity like the two of you had, did you think you where going to stay on tv until your rocking in chairs and your kids are feeding you and everyone is on welfare? You both blew it and I can only speak for myself that I don’t care, BOO-HOO, try and survive like the rest of us, on extremely tight budgets, some of us unable to pay our bills, we still get up and go to work, and pray with this econome we still have a job to go to. As I see it you are still on the air, therefore you are still getting your “whatever” per epsidode, start your own account and take care of your kids, believe me I don’t think you need another haircut or plastic surgery, or traveling to expense tea parties, carriage rides, whatever. I think you and Jon have lost all respect from your viewers, you are very selfish people and I personally would love to see the fund you have set up for your kids. Good Luck and Good Bye.

Tony October 6, 2009, 3:31 AM

Jon is not to smart having 8 mistakes.
( children ) Kate owns Jon and will do very well with child support.
Jon needs to get a DNA test done on each kid to be sure hes really the father. He does not want to pay child support for some ones elses mistake.
Jon you need to take control of Kate…

livingintherealworld October 6, 2009, 4:21 AM

Kate needs to get off her butt and get a really job instead of living off her children. Can’t pay her bills BS. Have people forgotten she’s a nurse?

TJ October 6, 2009, 4:45 AM

OH GROW UP!!! I guess they want to be bank CEO’s. Who can gather the most marbles before moving on.
Too bad they don’t have divorce mediators that come in and take over when papers are filed. It would cost less than lawyer’s fees.

anon October 6, 2009, 5:31 AM

Tony, before spouting off on someone else’s stupidity you might want to consider studying the English language.