Kate: 'Jon Left Me with a Thousand Dollars'

Kate Gosselin opens up about financial struggles on the "Today" show.

Earlier this morning, we told you about Jon Gosselin allegedly taking $230,000 out of his and Kate's joint account, leaving Kate only $1,000. She appeared on the "Today" show this morning to tell her side of the story.

Here are some highlights of what she had to say:

Financial Difficulties: "He took $230,000 of the $231,000 we had. I have a stack of bills. The last thing I wanted was to do this show and end up not being able to pay our bills."

Jon's Decision to End the Show: "It has ended our income and our paychecks and our opportunities. I wish Jon would think more about it."

Her Kids' Money: "Financially, the kids are protected. They have the fund that I set up for them. That was my long-term goal. It is secure and substantial ... and it is safe. I had the presence of mind to start that on my own. That's what I want for them, [for] their future to be secure."

How She's Surviving: "I'm hanging in there. It's hard. Every morning I don't know what I'm going to wake up to."

Thoughts on Jon: "He has gone way far off the trail ... Obviously, I am very upset. I can't sleep at night. I can't pay my bills. I think he's receiving bad advice. I think he's making bad decisions."

What's Next: "I've reached out to [Jon]. I'm strangely able to put aside all the anger and the hurt when I talk to him and picture the old Jon, because I want peace so badly."

What do you think about Jon emptying their bank account? Comment below.

next: Bad Idea: Eat Your Food, Get a Cookie
Melissa T October 6, 2009, 5:34 AM

I really think it (the show) really got out of hand. Now it’s a job and she lost it. Now she really has to go to work and do what the rest of us has to do. Work hard for the money. I do not like these shows. They give people the wrong idea on life. They give people wants.. Not needs.

Anonymous October 6, 2009, 6:08 AM

Please. No money! Try living on what everyone else does. Look at your house and you want to say you have no money. Sell the house and move into something smaller. The old house was perfectly fine. Ihave no sympathy for Kate or Jon. I wish they would end the show!!!

Bonnie October 6, 2009, 6:36 AM

I think Jon is so wrong about removing the money. He made the choice to leave them and to leave the show, he needs to be a responsible father, and human being and be sure his children are taken care of financially after all that was the whole reason for the show. Why should Kate and the kids suffer financial devastation and he walks off with money to blow. Wow, what a future for him, he gets to be the super hero who arrives to spend “quality” time with his kids but doesn’t get the working end of any of it. Grow up Jon. You created them and now you’ve created this mess.

Danielle October 6, 2009, 6:49 AM

I have seen this time and again a marriage breaks up and one of the parties empties out the account. I don’t understand how quickly you can forget that you loved that person when you married them and started a family with them. Why would you leave them to struggle? I’m sure people have given the family quite a bit over the years just to have the publicity of having them at their place of business with their cameras. Its sad that the show is going to end because that was a good way for her to support her kids without needing government assistance but on the other hand maybe its better for the kids to not have their parents dirty laundry being aired out on every talk show under the sun.

Lisa @ Boondockramblings.com October 6, 2009, 7:19 AM

They are both doing a disservice to themselves and their children. They are wrapped up in the drama right now but one day they will look back and regret their foolishness. They both need to shut up and talk…and if Jon says, on television, one more time: “We need to sit and talk and stop going on TV,” I will throw up. He keeps going on TV to say it. Someone has to stop the cycle!

Not too mention, there are only a select few who give a flying crap about their drama!

Lisa October 6, 2009, 7:31 AM

Tony:

“Mistakes?!” You are a moron. Not only that but those kids look exactly like Jon and his heritage (which Kate loves) so you need to shut up. Those are his children.

Anonymous October 6, 2009, 8:37 AM

I bet Jon took it, becaue he’s about to start paying up some child support! And kate, Good Lord, she seems to be all about money! Forget the kids, she’ll do anything for money!

Annie October 6, 2009, 11:17 AM

Kate is probably scrambling to hide information on the 11 other Bank accounts she has set up, just to make Jon look like a liar. Momlogic should disassociate themselves from Kate Gosselin. She is like a bad cancer that won’t go away.

Tristan's Mommy October 6, 2009, 11:37 AM

Great idea, Tony! Because we know that the kids don’t look anything like Jon. And women are like animals, there can be more than one father per “litter”. Ha ha ha ha. You dork.

As for Jon, if he did that, it goes to show he’s really NOT thinking about his children. He’s taken the money as a power play and for selfshness. You can not leave your children with their mother and no money to take care of the bills or groceries.

Still, this should’ve been worked out in court with the judge. And I would’ve expected Kate to be smart enough to know that anything in a joint account can be accessed at any time. She should’ve been a smart woman when it comes to her ex-man and taken at least part of the money out so he couldn’t get his hands on the money and she’d be able to care for the kids. Now she’ll have to dig into the kids accounts until this and the show issues are settled. All with the world watching this disaster in real time.

NA October 6, 2009, 12:12 PM

Come On. Let her live in my shoes for a week. She looks pretty good for being broke. I wish I could have my hair done every week. Yes JON is scumb . They are his children too, take care of them. It’s not all about you two.

Angela October 6, 2009, 3:58 PM

Is there really no news that is more news worthy then the arguing of Jon and Kate Gosslin. There are so many people who do not even have $1,000 in their bank account to pay their bills and wonder how they are going to even feed their children. For someone who travels and has book deals I find it hard to believe that they cannot feed their children or pay their bills. People in the real world sell items and get second jobs to pay their bills. They do not go on television shows and say they are broke because the other parent. Please have more respect for your viewers.

Jennifer October 6, 2009, 4:09 PM

She is just as dumb as him ..she wasnt thinking of all the money shes spent out on new kitchen, Boob jobs, spray tans I just think she had to have the last word since Jon put up no TLC they both need to grow up and think about the kids they both are living well above there means a reality TV show is not a career and she should have other means to suport her family and Jon needs to get a job and they need to get a life

Jennifer October 6, 2009, 4:19 PM

Remember the movie Field of Dreams “If you build it they will come” well this is just an idea…but “If we dont watch it or buy the trash magz they will GO AWAY!!” but thats just an idea.

Margie October 7, 2009, 7:18 AM

Funny how some women LOVE to tear down other women for working hard at providing a comfortable environment for their kids. I bed the space she now has in her new home helps keep her as sane as possible. There is nothing wrong with the goal of being financially secure enough to be completely independent and not have to rely on an inconsistent husband. I applaud Kate for striving to keep herself healthy and looking good for herself, her children, and her job. Any woman who is working outside of the home, running her own business, and has to provide for and manage a large family AND doesn’t forget about taking care of herself amazing.

Michelle Brown November 10, 2009, 2:07 PM

What a selfish, despicable jerk! He could care less about his kids welfare & well-being. How is she supposed to take care of those children when he robs her & the kids. I have no respect for him & his ugliness.

Jay January 9, 2010, 1:36 AM

I think this is soooooooo bad he doesnt care and wants kate to suffer