Mom Feeds Family of Four for $4 a Week

How is this even possible?!

Massachusetts mom Kathy Spencer is so good at clipping coupons that she can feed her family of six for about $4 a week, reports Good Morning America.

The coupon maverick went shopping with "GMA" to show moms everywhere just how she does it:

On her latest shopping trip, Spencer ran up a bill of $267.23, before her coupons were added. After coupons, her bill was one cent. She saved $267.22.

Here are her tips for other moms:

Tip 1: Check Your Store's Policy, See If You Can Use Multiple Coupons on the Same Order

Tip 2: Stockpile Store Credits

Tip 3: Ask Store About Doubled Coupons

Tip 4: Combine Store and Manufacturer Coupons

Do YOU use coupons? Share your money-saving tips here!

next: Casey Anthony Labeled Caylee Trouble?
Marie October 29, 2009, 12:15 PM

I wonder how many fresh products are in her grocery list.

Teresa October 29, 2009, 1:16 PM

I was wondering the same thing as Marie. There are sales on meats, veggies, fruit, dairy, etc., but rarely coupons that can be combined. Every once in a while there will be a free coupon on milk with the purchase of cereal, or even BOGO on sausage or bacon, but hardly ever on any other fresh ingredients. I haven’t watched the video, but I am very interested in her tips. I can ususally get my bill down about 50-75%, but to cut it by close to 100% is something I have got to see to believe.

Anonymous October 29, 2009, 3:11 PM

How many women in America all claim to be the “coupon queen”?

Jenny October 29, 2009, 5:07 PM

Did anyone else see how much crap (and I do mean crap) was in her stock pile? Seriously processed foods full of fat, calories, low nutritional value, saturated fats, sodium….yuck….

I would like to have all the toilet paper and paper towels for free though lol.

I could save a ton of money on my grocery bill too, if I wasn’t worried about my family’s health….

christina October 29, 2009, 6:27 PM

WHAT is she feeding them for that $4? If there are coupons for fresh fruits and vegetables, I would love to know about them. We eat almost all organic foods, not for what’s in them, but for what ISN’T. While there are some organic coupons available online, I would challenge this woman to shop for the same types of foods my family eats and only spend $4.

Melanie October 29, 2009, 6:41 PM

All these ladies that have been getting all this attention for grocery shopping for nothing really bugs me. This is not the norm! I clip coupons and have saved up to $30-50 on a shopping trip before but what most of the “coupon queens” are doing is not for most. Personally, I don’t want to search through circulars for all my local stores and only buy whats on sale and I have a coupon for and have to go to 5 differant store! As the ladies here have said she had a lot of junk convienance foods.

Chrissy October 30, 2009, 1:27 AM

Melanie, I agree with your comments.
I do use coupons for frozen veggies - but even that doesn’t get me them for pennies.

PlumbLucky October 30, 2009, 4:33 AM

Spending .01 on a pile of crap food is the defintion of penny saved, pound foolish.

I have to agree…if there are coupons available for organic fresh fruits and vegetables, and fresh cuts of lean meat, I sure would like to know where to find them. Occassionally, I can find bags of frozen boneless skinless chicken BOGO, but its store brand, so I rarely find a coupon for it.

PlumbLucky October 30, 2009, 4:37 AM

And I’m curious where she lives that “most stores will double coupons up to .99”….I can’t think of one nearby me that does. Most only do up to .50. On a big sale weekend, they might do double up to a buck, or they might triple a fifty cent one, but I’ve never seen it regularly.

Barb October 30, 2009, 5:55 AM

To add to what you ladies have said here—how do you get free produce? I’ve almost never seen coupons for fruits and veggies, and that’s what costs the most in my family’s shopping trips.

Anonymous October 30, 2009, 7:47 AM

I wonder how long she holds up the line with all those coupons. It’s bad enough standing in line behind someone with a check or debit card.

Anonymous October 30, 2009, 9:31 AM

I would love to know Where she finds all of these coupons!! It seems like the stores in my area all have the same things on sale and no coupons to clip. Even the manufacturers rarely offer coupons for what I need to buy and when I search online for coupons all of the coupon websites have the same stupid coupons for food that we don’t eat.

Kristen October 30, 2009, 11:58 AM

Isn’t she lucky she doesn’t have a kid with food allergies. Our daughter is allergic to wheat, dairy, peanuts, eggs, pineapple and banana’s. Also on another note, they are eating CRAP!! Any coupons I have ever seen are for garbage food that I would NEVER ingest.

Jenny October 30, 2009, 3:24 PM

Kristen,

I feel for you, my daughter cannot have anything artificial, she is super sensitive to it and I am a Celiac so no gluten. Yup, hard to use coupons when you have food issues.

dealtattle October 30, 2009, 5:14 PM

We posted this article on our site. It is a fantastic piece.

Heather October 31, 2009, 2:32 AM

Hmmm spend about $4 a week on crap that’s going to land you in the Dr.’s office more, or spending money on products for heartburn/diarrhea more often and cause major problems down the road for your children or spend the money on healthier foods and some fresh or frozen veggies? I think I’ll take the latter.

chris November 1, 2009, 4:00 PM

OMG…you moms are soooo mean.

Jenny November 3, 2009, 1:49 PM

We aren’t mean, we are honest. We really wouldn’t feed our family the things this woman feeds hers. There are many families in America that would but the ones that commented here wouldn’t.

not picky November 12, 2009, 2:45 AM

I live in California and most stores don’t allow what you see her doing, double coupons or and use manufacturer coupons with store coupons to save. And I’ve never seen coupons for money off of meat or seafood unless it was canned. She did a pretty good job though, good for her.

And I would eat some of those foods, we can’t always eat organic or unprocessed foods it would be nice to think so. But it’s to expensive, so canned tuna and veggies work in my house just as well as the frozen or fresh ones. And even some of the other convenient foods such as mashed potatoes, to each his or her own though.

I would love to find coupons like she does, but the only one I find are the ones that are useless in my house.

Carole January 8, 2010, 10:48 AM

I use coupons and save up to 75%
but not on processed food, its normally toiletries, paper goods and household cleaning products. I have not seen the video but i would love to go shopping with her. Today i was at Walmart and there glade refills were $1.00 i had coupons for 1.50 per pack and buy 2 get $2.00 off. 14 packages for under a 1.50