Mom's Miscarriage Brought to You by Twitter

Penelope Trunk, CEO of the "Brazen Careerist'' blog, told all on Twitter ... and now she's getting some major backlash.

Penelope Trunk

Penelope Trunk, a 42-year-old mother of two, had a miscarriage last week. And she Twittered about it:

"I'm in a board meeting. Having a miscarriage. Thank goodness, because there's a fu*ked-up 3-week hoop-jump to have an abortion in Wisconsin."

Now, many people are in an uproar. Is a miscarriage or abortion too personal to Twitter about?

Check out Penelope on CNN, where she defended her actions:

What do you think of Penelope's Twitter confession: no biggie or TMI?

next: School Bans Cheerleader Bible Banners
Gail Cooke October 1, 2009, 2:36 PM

Obviously in poor taste, but when did that ever stop anyone? Obviously she is low class and is so irresponsible that she can’t face her obligations, but must she advertise it? She should be embarrassed. I wish people wouldn’t inflict their low moral character to others.

Julie L. October 1, 2009, 5:47 PM

Yes, Gail, it is in poor taste. But how is she of low moral character? Because she doesn’t agree with your beliefs? And a pregnancy/child is an obligation? I bet you’re a great parent.

A Man October 1, 2009, 6:06 PM

CAT FIGHT!

Anonymous October 1, 2009, 6:33 PM

I do not agree with her choices, but let’s face it, in this world we have freedom.

I respect her for being so open, calm, patient and upfront about her moral beliefs, and I don’t believe anyone should criticise her for her beliefs or choice in way of expressing the manifestations of her ethics.

Anyone who makes judgements upon this woman should question themselves and their right to do so.

Anonymous October 1, 2009, 7:14 PM

wow some people need to learn what tmi means—-too much information! somet things should be kept to yourself.

Shirley October 1, 2009, 7:22 PM

Perhaps it would have been more prudent for her to excuse herself from the board meeting and get to the doctor’s office… She said she told her boss she was going to Chicago to have an abortion, it shouldn’t have been that big of a deal to tell them she needed medical attention. JMO

Anonymous October 1, 2009, 8:19 PM

I feel happy for her, and I would felt even more happy if she argued back to him with more passion.

Miranda October 1, 2009, 8:21 PM

I am not upset that she twittered about her miscarriage, I am more upset that someone who runs a career advisory thinks it is perfectly acceptable to Twitter about any very personal occurance (whether it be explosive diarrhea or a miscarriage) on a page affiliated with her company that has over 15k followers. It is the definition of “unprofessional”.

Gigohead  October 1, 2009, 8:29 PM

I think it’s all a publicity stunt, She getting good air time on CNN. Some people are so desperate for attention now.

Nkanyezi Payne October 2, 2009, 2:51 AM

The question Twitter ask is “What are you doing?”, so Mrs Trunk’s response answered the question. I think that her response was TMI and insensitive but so is life and she has the right ti say what she wants. Honestly, there are so many other important tgings going on in the world.

dean October 2, 2009, 6:19 AM

Here is my opinion, if you post on the web about something and don’t like the responses, tough.

Curtis October 2, 2009, 7:03 AM

PRO - CHOICE baby.

chris October 2, 2009, 8:29 AM

I personally don’t care about the her making the choice on having the baby or not but I do think it was totally disgusting the way she twitted about it.
Way TMI.

Gail Cooke October 2, 2009, 9:14 AM

Everyone knows what can happen if you have sex. If you don’t want to have children then get your tubes tied or have your partner get a vasectomy or take multiple precautions against pregnancy at the same time. Very simple. It is your responsibility to deal with the consequences of your actions. Children are the product of intercourse. That’s the biology. If you can’t deal with it, then don’t have sex. She’s not a stupid woman..she’s had two kids..I’m sure she’s made the correlation. She’s selfish and obviously couldn’t care less about human beings…which is strange since she’s had two kids..

Get real October 2, 2009, 11:54 AM

This women is getting EXACTLY what she wants…Attention!!! That is the only reason she twittered about it I am sure…so she would get attention. And she has.

jo October 2, 2009, 12:30 PM

PRO-CHOICE!!!

not one to admire October 2, 2009, 1:34 PM

You know pro-choice is our right as a woman but I am disgusted by her out right happiness to having a miscarriage. You have to be a very insensitive person to feel that happy about it even if you don’t want the baby.

Pamala October 2, 2009, 3:32 PM

I don’t care that she wanted to have an abortion or was happy about the miscarriage but there are some things you don’t advertise on a company twitter account.

Chrissy October 2, 2009, 9:22 PM

Pamala that’s my htoughts exactly.
I would also like to add that as the foudner of the company she didn’t need to tell her board that she was getting an abortion - she could have simpley said “personal business” or “elective surgery”.
I think she just likes to shock people hence “Brazen” in her company’s title.
And lastly, I very much doubt that 75% of all women have a miscarraige. Over the past 20 years the percentage I’ve read about in news article and studies is 25.

Anon October 3, 2009, 11:24 AM

Some people tweet/facebook/blog about things like infertility, pregnancy loss and newborn death. I hope all of you saying it was TMI feel the same way about those as well, otherwise you’re hypocritical.

As for her being happy/relieved, this may come as a shock to some, but not all pregnancies are wanted. I haven’t seen any details about whether or not she used contraception, but it has been known to fail. I think it’s better to have an abortion than to have child and treat the child badly because one didn’t want the child. Those of you so concerned about women who want to terminate pregnancies would really be better off worrying about the children that are already here and who are being neglected/abused by their parents. There are far too many of them and not enough resources to help them. What is the point of forcing women to bring more unwated children into this world when there are already so many?