Mom's Miscarriage Brought to You by Twitter

Penelope Trunk, CEO of the "Brazen Careerist'' blog, told all on Twitter ... and now she's getting some major backlash.

Penelope Trunk

Penelope Trunk, a 42-year-old mother of two, had a miscarriage last week. And she Twittered about it:

"I'm in a board meeting. Having a miscarriage. Thank goodness, because there's a fu*ked-up 3-week hoop-jump to have an abortion in Wisconsin."

Now, many people are in an uproar. Is a miscarriage or abortion too personal to Twitter about?

Check out Penelope on CNN, where she defended her actions:

What do you think of Penelope's Twitter confession: no biggie or TMI?

next: School Bans Cheerleader Bible Banners
Karen Murphy October 3, 2009, 5:08 PM

People talk about pregnancies, surgeries, etc at work all the time. What is so different about talking about having a miscarriage? It’s a part of life.

All the hoopla about this simply shows where people’s discomforts are. Why do we insist on hiding the things that make us uncomfortable? You can deny it all you want but women still have miscarriages and they still have unwanted pregnancies. I’m glad this conversation was opened, and I hope it continues!

Pamala October 5, 2009, 4:59 PM

This isn’t a personal account, it’s an account that people associate with her business. That’s why it shouldn’t have been done. When I had a miscarriage I posted on my website, but my website has nothing to do with a business. If she had a personal website, personal twitter, not associated with the business then it wouldn’t be such a big deal.

anbother option October 6, 2009, 5:44 AM

What about adoption? Why isn’t that an option that has occured to anyone? Have sex, don’t use preventatice measures and take the consequences - but if you don’t want the baby, give it to a couple who can provide it the loving home you certainly won’t.

Allison October 6, 2009, 4:08 PM

So she was happy she was having a miscarriage? Her message isn’t that clear, but whatever, if she wanted to post that, whatever, she obviously wanted the attention from it. I twit about my pregnanct all the time, and hinted about it b/f we made the official annoucement at 12 weeks.

Kristine October 7, 2009, 9:48 AM

The issue here is not that she was going to have an abortion. That is her choice, whether you agree or disagree. The issue is if she should have posted it on Twitter.

You know what is so great about Twitter? You don’t have to use it! Or you don’t have to follow her! Or if you don’t like what she is saying you can unfollow her.

This is so important that it made CNN?

Melissa October 8, 2009, 6:46 AM

I can not believe how irresponsible this woman is!!!! She owns a company but does not know how to prevent a pregnancy?!!! If she did not want any more children then she or her husband should have had the medical procedure to prevent having anymore children! Or did she not want to miss work to have her tubes tied? Maybe she could have bullied her husband into having a vasectomy! It took me 6 years to have my second child and this was through invitro. Plus I had a miscarriage. This is a very painful thing to people and she not be talked about lightly! SOOOOO MANY women will never be able to have a child and desperately want one. THINK ABOUT THAT!

P Miller October 15, 2009, 3:15 PM

Freedom of speech, she chose to share it and it was her choice there is nothing wrong with that or what she said, you may not like what she said but that is also your choice but what you going to do.
I thought that she raised some good points in her interview and I am now more wiser in knowing that women miscarriage over a period of time, I also thought that it was more a instant thing.

Kat December 15, 2009, 2:23 PM

I’m sorry but this is a horrible act. How can she be so complacent about the fact that she was having a child die inside of her. She’s already had two kids and she thinks an abortion is nothing? That’s a life she wanted to take away. Yes, she had a miscarriage but that is because God is in control of what happens, NOT because of her. If it was up to her she would have gone and destroyed a life outside of God’s will. And she’s wrong - ony 15-20% of pregnancies end in a miscarriage, NOT 75%. I do not think that abortions are a RIGHT of a woman. I think that by choosing to believe that it’s a right that you are deciding that YOUR RIGHTS are more important than the life of the child inside of you. This is terrible, how would her kids feel if they found out that their mother killed their new baby brother/sister?