A Mom's Open Letter to Kate Gosselin

Blythe Newsome: I can relate to Kate.

Kate Gosselin

Dear Kate,

As a fellow reality show mom (I was on "Supernanny"), my heart has gone out to you over the past few weeks. You are facing so many challenges and the world gets to see you face those challenges and then offer you lots of unsolicited advice. Our stories are so similar and unique from the vast majority of people.

You see, I too am a single mom of a houseful of wonderful children. You were efficient and had six at one time ... I had six spaced out over a span of 10 years. My life has been seen on national TV (granted, one night and a few times as a rerun compared to your years of episodes), and every morning it is opened up for the world to hear on the radio show I host. My mess, my imperfections, the ups and downs that are my life are seen, heard, and judged by all. As you navigate through your divorce and dealings with Jon (advice for that is coming in Part II of this letter), here is some advice: Take the compliments that people give you and tuck them away, and take the insults and let them go (if you figure out how to do this, please let me know because it is something I still struggle with every day).

People will tell you to stop the show and focus on your life, but the reality is the show is your life -- and it is what your children know as normal. Right now, you are no different than any other mom going through a major life change ... you are just trying to give your children some normalcy. What is hard for people to grasp is that your "normalcy" is very different from the average person's. I know how quickly the crew becomes part of your family, part of your everyday life. I know the "behind the scenes" that viewers never see, the laughter and playing that our children do with the production crew. We both have lives that are open for the world to see, hear, and read about. It is all my children know -- it is all your children know. Living a life that is so open is normal to our children, and it is what they know and embrace as their lives. Know that you are not alone as you navigate this new path!

Another reality mom of many,
Blythe

next: The Gift of Life, and Its Price
susie October 12, 2009, 3:40 AM

This is the stupidest article I have ever read. You compare yourself to Kate because Suppernanny did ONE episode of your family. (Suppernanny only films families that have kids that are in desperate need..says something about you!). Kate is a multi-millionare. She has a bodyguard, organic chef, a full-time nanny and a part-time babysitter, gardener, housekeeper, production assistants, weekly boy pool, etc. Most of all, Jon her husband (according) to their legal agreement, deposits $7,500 per month in an acct. for support. (Not the acct. that Kate talked about on the Today Show). And he has equal custody of the kids. He spends more time with them than Kate. Kate was gone 21 out of 30 days in May promoting her book. How in the world can any single mom—or for that matter- any mom possibly relate to Kate Gosselin! By the way, Kate doesn’t have a reality show anymore.

Anonymous October 12, 2009, 3:55 AM

You Go Susie!!! so sick of these people (kate and Jon) MOMLOGIC - PLEASE STOP POSTING ACTICLES ABOUT THEM!!!! I don’t even read them anymore, I just keep stating on everyone of them to STOP POSTING THEM.

ashley October 12, 2009, 4:58 AM

Sorry, but this woman is nothing like Kate. She just wanted a little bit of attention.

Nancy October 12, 2009, 8:16 AM

I think it was nice of her to post. No matter how many children we have, or what our reality is, we can empathize with the situation.
No need to be so harsh to someone who is offering thoughts and opinions.
I had just one child, but had a husband who cheated, felt overwhelmed with my job (I was a news anchor), wondered if my nanny spent too much time with my darling baby and was I a bad mom. I made mistakes, trusted the wrong people, and needed sympathy and empathy.
Any of us who watched Jon and Kate Plus 8 (and I loved those darling babies) are part of this story because without us gawking, it wouldn’t have been told.
Most of all, I hope this is a place where anyone can offer suggestions and hope without being slammed. There are plenty of sites for bitterness. Let’s keep this helpful

Heather October 12, 2009, 8:30 AM

Yeah, it is laughable that this woman knows anything about what Kate’s experience is like. Ridiculous.

HeeHee October 12, 2009, 8:44 AM

I wouldn’t be proud to admit I was on Super Nanny. It means you can’t control your kids.

Shannon October 12, 2009, 9:37 AM

I couldn’t agree with you more Nancy. Try not to be so damn mean ya’ll!

sarah October 12, 2009, 7:55 PM

Susie you are SO SO SO right! Perhaps if they had stopped the reality show crap sooner, then they could have worked out their issues. I never watched the show…I think its crap to exploit children for a paycheck! I also don’t really care what they do now and I agree with the poster that asked Mom Logic to quit posting stories about them. How about some uplifting positive stuff….or at least something that us normal people can relate to.

lynda gantt October 15, 2009, 1:14 PM

I am surprised that any woman who cares about the important job of being someone’s mother would say, or even think to herself, that she RELATES TO KATE GOSSELIN. Just as another person has commented, she is gone more than she is home, she has caregivers for the kids, even when she IS there - because she just has no interest in being around them. She is too busy trying to glamorize herself for her new career in celebrity. I am shocked that The View and Today would have her on and let her lie to them and to the public without questioning her about some of the more obvious issues surrounding her. The one about, “gulp - i have a purseful of bills that I can’t drop in the mail -” was so obviously a lie. So back to ms. “open letter to kate”, why again do you relate to her - is that how you raise your kids - do you sell them out? do you make them sleep on a cold, Pennsy-winter floor because they might vomit so they must stay in the basement alone with just a blanket, pillow and vomit bowl - do you give away their dogs after keeping the poor things in cages their whole life - you must be gross, as well. i am sorry for your kids, also.

FAKE KHATE February 6, 2010, 7:49 PM

KHATE NEEDS TO BE ENCOURAGED TO BE A STAY AT HOME MOM! THAT’S IT! OH AND SOMEONE CPS SHOULD ADVISE HER TO NOT SPANK, PINCH, HIT… HER CHILDREN ON LIVE TV!