Pink October Comes to an End

For almost 14 years, this has been my favorite, and yet most dreaded, month.

pink ribbon for breast cancer

Sue Carswell: My mother, Elaine, was a victim of breast cancer, and passed away at the age of 63. She was our tree, and her five children, or her branches, each fell apart when she left us. After the first year of her death, my two sisters and I did a breast cancer awareness three-day walk in October to remember her -- not as she lay dying, the cancer metastasizing into almost every reach of her bones -- but when she was so beautiful, radiant, and always smiling, so happy just to live life with the five grandchildren she knew.

Since she left, it pains me to think that mine will never know her, but just her legend, which I wrote about in my memoir, Faded Pictures from My Backyard (Random House Inc.), which was an enormous love letter I wrote in my mother's memory. My mother lived for the World Series (October), she lived to take rides with my father throughout the Northeast just to see the passing colors of the trees. "Oh John," she would say, giggling to my father, "that one looks like the image of my hair."

Ironically, my mother first lost her hair in October, its red strands leaving her forever, to fall away on her pillow as she went off to sleep each night, never dreaming of sugarplums anymore, but rather the fate that might grab ahold of her, which it did. And in her absence, October became our month to share her memories and to connect with others who lost their mothers, sisters, and close relatives to this wretched disease.

It is the month when we adorn our bags in pink bows, and my brothers their lapels. We see these same ribbons on our friends, or in passing on various people at the grocery stores where we all shop in our different cities. Kindred folks, all of us. I always nod my head at anyone who wears a pink ribbon, as if to say, "Oh yes. I know!" And now the end of the month has come, when most people put their ribbon away until the next year, and the years after that. For some of us, pink ribbons feel like kisses falling from heaven letting us know that perhaps those who have passed, like my mom, know that we will never forget them. October is the month for you, Mom, as is every single day.

Love you, Sue

next: Whose Kid is THAT?
Clarine Dowden March 18, 2011, 3:43 AM

It’s an interesting view for sure and I appreciate it so this is a little something for all…

For every problem there is one solution which is simple, neat and wrong. :)

cottages in cornwall March 18, 2011, 4:41 PM

Thank you, I have recently been searching for info about this topic for ages and yours is the best I have discovered so far. However, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you sure in regards to the supply?

blinds ny March 19, 2011, 10:44 AM

If you could message me with a few tips on how you made this website look like this , I would be appreciative.

Managed Forex Trader March 19, 2011, 1:14 PM

F*ckin’ tremendous things here. I’m very happy to look your article. Thank you a lot and i am looking forward to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

Lindsey Umphenour March 19, 2011, 5:19 PM

Grande borne! Agradecimentos para tomar o momento de escrever algo que é realmente leitura do valor. Demasiado frequentemente eu encontro a informação inútil e não a algo que é realmente relevante. Agradecimentos para seu trabalho duro.

Efren Yurchiak March 19, 2011, 5:51 PM

I can tell that youre a specialist at the area! Im launching a website soon, and your data are very helpful for me personally.. several thanks for all of your assist similarly as wanting all of you the success within your business.

Toronto Escorts March 19, 2011, 11:53 PM

Hey compañero, realmente tenido gusto este poste. Can’ t parece conseguirlo para dar formato a la derecha en Internet Explorer, se dobla todo para arriba, pero no trabaja muy bien en Firefox tan ninguna preocupación.

peyton manning jersey March 20, 2011, 7:29 AM

Reading by means of your enjoyable post, will assist me to do so sometimes.

freebiejeebies March 20, 2011, 8:53 AM

Hey mate, thanks 4 sharing but this post doesn’t format correctly in IE it is doubled up.

online head shop March 20, 2011, 2:12 PM

Quite thankful am I mainly because I’ve observed this useful content. I’ll check this out and see if it will work on my web site too.

kit tattoo cheap March 20, 2011, 2:31 PM

Wonderful data, many thanks for the author.

geckos pets March 20, 2011, 3:30 PM

Wonderful data, quite a few cheers for the author.

tablet pc March 20, 2011, 8:01 PM

More of this please

Jobs Finder March 20, 2011, 8:40 PM

Thats some great basics there, already knew some of that, but you can always learn . I doubt a “kid” could put together such information as dolphin278 suggested. Maybe he’s just trying to be “controversial? lol

scooters electric March 20, 2011, 8:56 PM

I am so pleased i discovered your website. You are such an motivation!

harry potter movies March 20, 2011, 10:35 PM

You are doing very good job! keep it going

gnc store locator March 21, 2011, 9:47 AM

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

penny auctions review March 21, 2011, 10:03 AM

I believe that is one of the most important info for me. And i’m happy studying your article. However should commentary on some basic things, The site taste is great, the articles is really great : D. Excellent job, cheers

chocolate lg March 21, 2011, 11:15 AM

This publish was very nicely written, and it also contains quite a few valuable details. I appreciated your expert manner of writing this publish. You could have made it quick for me to realize.

hearing loss causes March 21, 2011, 12:49 PM

Definitely, what a splendid site and informative posts, I will bookmark your site.Have an awsome day!