Ralph Lauren's Photoshop Retouch Disaster

Reason number #3843 on the list of why our daughters struggle with body image.

ralph-lauren.jpg

At first, the Ralph Lauren photo advertising their Blue Label line of jeans appeared on a website called Photoshop Disasters. And rightfully so. The body of 23-year-old French-Swedish model Filippa Hamilton depicted in the photo doesn't occur in nature. The proportions are more similar to a freakish Barbie doll than a human. To get Hamilton's "uber-skeletal look," the image was probably modified using a Photoshop function called the "Liquify Tool," or more accurately, the "Anorexic Tool."

Model Filippa Hamilton

Then the blog Boing Boing took up the cause and posted a criticism of the image with the caption, "Dude, her head's bigger than her pelvis!" It sure looks that way, especially when you take a gander of another shot of Hamilton in tank-top, suspenders, and normal-sized head.

The skinny on the situation is this: Ralph Lauren's lawyers demanded that Boing Boing take the image down. Boing Boing refused, citing that the post fell under the definition of fair use: "for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting."

Momlogic contacted Ralph Lauren's reps for comment. Here's what they had to say:

"For over 42 years, we have built a brand based on quality and integrity. After further investigation, we have learned that we are responsible for the poor imaging and retouching that resulted in a very distorted image of a woman's body. We have addressed the problem and going forward will take every precaution to ensure that the caliber of our artwork represents our brand appropriately."

Do you think Ralph Lauren is just sorry they got caught for publishing this photo manipulation mess, or was it just an honest mistake?

next: Father Leaves for Iraq, Brings Us to Tears
Anonymous October 8, 2009, 1:00 PM

She looks like a bobblehead her head looks way to big for her body.

What the? October 8, 2009, 1:11 PM

Ralph Lauren’s clothes should be boycotted for that image hitting the public and blinding us all! Models are thin enough and they go and find this abomination!

ak77 October 8, 2009, 1:16 PM

An honest mistake that took hours of Photoshop work, and many eyes-of-approval on its way from the designer to the billboard?

Anonymous October 9, 2009, 12:05 AM

The PR team at Ralph Lauren have already won. They knew before this image was released that it would generate controversy and…FREE PUBLICITY.

Anonymous October 9, 2009, 8:03 AM

She’s ugly

Ron October 18, 2009, 7:31 AM

This a great attractive photo. If people think that other photo’s in the industry aren’t photoshoped they really are fooling themselves. It’s Advertisement!

Nina October 26, 2009, 1:45 AM

Ew, seriously, how can anyone actually think that is pretty? Then again, most people in the fashin business are gay guys, meaning they’ve got nothing to relate to with the female body, so they just twist it out of proportions ‘cause they won’t find it attractive themselves anyway.

Nope December 4, 2009, 9:24 PM

Hahahaha, and she didn’t say anything about it to start with. Her is the deal on this, she is in the business of sex. Do I agree with it or like it, no not really but, then again I like a little meat on a women. NO skeletons for me but, don’t tell me she is ugly. She is a beautiful women who happened to have a photo altered. If we didn’t pay so much attention to advertising and took it for what it is, an attempt to take your money with out giving sufficient product to replace it, no one would care. Problem is no one values their time enough. Think if a shirt costs $20 bucks and you make 15 and hour its really worth 1.25 hrs of your life and that is sad. Their isn’t much if put in those terms worth it, maybe food and shelter but, I could find or make it on my own. Wake up people, who cares?

partnertreff March 28, 2010, 7:19 PM

Refuse Test,bad river generation wife hence independent contribute more key inside manager believe contribution engine concentrate regulation knowledge lawyer official set educational damage forest complete order solution vote means voice husband voice advantage organisation during wage corporate dry push computer initiative lawyer tool committee nobody distinction director cat pair scale vary until usually more solicitor like location maintain hide stone since while environment exist street similar several unable under football cos yesterday sorry bone continue course animal also elsewhere discuss household tradition sense truth exist information busy critical video commercial

Cure Hemorrhoids November 27, 2010, 5:43 PM

Excellent site. Very helpful, finally a decent website with good information in it.

Marbella apartments for sale December 10, 2010, 4:48 AM

Fine information. I appreciate your effort, great share.

Angelina Merle December 21, 2010, 4:40 AM

She is too skinny. registry winner review

Jared Laclair December 23, 2010, 1:40 PM

Fine website. Nice piece of info, looking forward to your feed updates…

Leslie Barnak December 30, 2010, 4:40 PM

Hi there I am experiencing a problems with visiting your web site, I’m having 504 messages really regularly, I am not extremely sure why but when I reload the page it comes fine.

de slabit January 4, 2011, 4:08 AM

I have beeing trying to find the Web for such information and just wanted to say thanks to u for this post. BTW, just off topic, how can i download a copy of this theme? – Regards

UGG Boots UK January 5, 2011, 11:13 PM

I will support what the thread starter has said in every word, which also expresses my point of view completely.

anti graffiti January 10, 2011, 4:40 AM

This is the sort of thing that is ruining our youth’s view of the ‘ideal’ body. Shame on Ralph Lauren.

1-70 horde leveling guide January 23, 2011, 5:02 AM

I have been browsing online more than four hours now, yet I haven’t found any well written post like yours. It’s very much enough for me. These days I’m playing world of warcraft a lot Greets Jeff Ratulowski@cologne-uni.edu

so dep January 27, 2011, 4:50 AM

Can I make a suggestion? I believe youve obtained something good here. But what should you added a pair links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or possibly you could give us one thing to look at, one thing that may connect what youre saying to one thing tangible? Only a suggestion. Anyway, in my language, there aren’t much good source like this.

so dep January 27, 2011, 4:54 AM

Your weblog is fine. I just wish to comment on the design. Its too loud. Its doing way an excessive amount of and it takes away from what youve received to say —which I feel is basically important. I dont know if you happen to didnt suppose that your phrases could maintain everyones attention, however you had been wrong. Anyway, in my language, there aren’t a lot good source like this.