Polanski Is Not the Only Party to Blame

Focusing only on Polanski seems hypocritical in a society that celebrates and exploits teen sexuality.

Roman Polanski, brook shields, miley cyrus

Jennifer Ginsberg: In the aftermath of child rapist Roman Polanski being taken into custody after trying to enter Switzerland on Saturday, questions about culpability, morality, and teen sexuality have arisen. The Academy Award-winning director pled guilty in 1977 to a single count of having unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor, acknowledging he had sex with a 13-year-old girl, but fled the United States before he could be sentenced. It is alleged that in addition to raping the child, he also drugged and sodomized her after her mother dropped her off at Jack Nicholson's home for a supposed photo shoot with Polanski.

While I wholeheartedly believe that Polanski should be held 100% responsible for his egregious crime, I also feel that only focusing disproportionately on him seems hypocritical in a society that all too often celebrates and exploits teen sexuality. Everywhere we turn, we see splashy images of sexy young girls -- and often times their parents and other adults condone their exploitation.

A few days ago, I met with the photographer I hired for my stepdaughter's Bat Mitzvah. While we were discussing packages and options, he showed me the book of a 13-year-old girl's Bat Mitzvah that he had recently shot. In the opening photograph, I saw a provocative photo of a girl (who could have been anywhere from 13 to 30) with glowy makeup, blown-out hair, and a strapless mini-dress and silver stiletto heels. I was aghast.

I asked the photographer, "How could her mother let her wear that dress? For her Bat Mitzvah, no less?"

He replied, "All the young girls dress like this now -- their moms think they look cute."

"Cute" was not exactly the word that came to my mind. I found the photos disturbing and repulsive. How can this child's mother not know that she has made her daughter into a juicy target for pedophiles and other creepy people who hide in the shadows waiting for ripe opportunities and easy targets to present themselves?

This dilemma was illuminated again recently after Miley Cyrus performed her "pole dancing" routine on the top of an ice cream truck at the Teen Choice Awards. The overarching question was, "Is it appropriate for a 16-year-old girl to be sexualized in such a blatant manner?" There were those who were quick to condemn the act as exploitative and unacceptable, and others who felt that her display was no different than previous incidents of glorified teen sexuality, ranging from Brooke Shields' provocative ads when she was not yet an adult to Britney Spears' seductive schoolgirl routine in the music video, "Oops! ... I Did It Again." The glamorization of the sexy teenage girl has coincided with the growth of an industry punishing men for acting on their attraction to teenagers.

My point is certainly not that it is okay for a grown man to heaven forbid rape an underage girl. But while we rightly condemn these men who act on their imperious urges, what about the other adults who enable these teen girls to be sexualized so freely? Did anyone arrest Brooke Shields' mother, Teri, or demonize her as a sexual predator? And someone had to provide Miley with that pole. Was that person held accountable? And shouldn't these moms who dress up their children like junior hookers and drop them off at grown men's homes be held responsible as well?

Perhaps if we were more honest in our discussion of how we all contribute to the sexual exploitation of young girls, whether we are parents who think it is cute to dress them up provocatively or TV execs who provide them with stripper poles, we could remember that the finger we are so quick to point at Polanski also needs to be pointed back at ourselves.

next: George Lopez Owes His Career to Grandma
Anonymous October 6, 2009, 5:51 PM

Just thought you should know that the Britney school girl music video was Hit Me Baby One More Time not Oops!… I Did it Again.

Miranda October 6, 2009, 7:11 PM

While I do agree that Polanski and other child rapists are 100% responsible I’m not sure I see the problem with girls in short dresses/tight clothes at 13. When I was 13 I was wearing midriffs and pleather pants like all the other girls my age, and I didn’t grow up to be abused or to be a parent at 16. I think we forget that 13 year old girls don’t look 13. When I was 13, I was 5’7” and stayed that way. I looked closer to 17 or 18. I think it’s even weirder to want to dress your 13 year old up like a little girl, which is what most pedophiles are actually looking for.

thaddeus buttmunch October 6, 2009, 7:35 PM

now her Vajynn sleeve VIZZARD!!

THE MOM'S FAULT October 7, 2009, 7:18 AM

Forget Roman Polansky, I think the girl’s mother was the real criminal here! Seriously, she KNOWINGLY dropped off her daughter to take nude pictures without an adult present. she din’t even stay to chaperone. She was fully aware of the drugs and alcohol that was going on. She even had given her daughter both before. She was pimping her kid out for a big payday.

Heather October 7, 2009, 11:05 AM

Great piece. It is astute to note that “the glamorization of the sexy teenage girl has coincided with the growth of an industry punishing men for acting on their attraction to teenagers.” What seems to be missing from all this glamorization and punishment is honest discussion: in reality many people are capable of sexual attraction to teens, and that does not make them pedophiles. But acting on those attractions—obviously using force, but even in other situations—is wrong and exploitative, because teens are not developmentally equipped to assess the possible repercussions of engaging in sex, for one thing. And in a complex society, teens have enough to deal with without needing to field the sexual advances of sleazy adults. Those are just two reasons exploiting teens for sex is immoral. Ms. Ginsberg’s article highlights the need for honest discussion about the reality that teens are not here for adults’ sexual consumption.

Anonymous October 15, 2009, 11:23 AM

If he thought it was ok to play with a child then why run away and hide? For 30 years he played outside the USA and enjoying life. It’s time to MAN up!!! Oh, I forgot he’s only a boy playing like a MAN.

cheapviagra1766 August 30, 2010, 11:44 AM
Yoshiko Mickelsen March 16, 2011, 12:24 PM

This domain seems to get a large ammount of visitors. How do you get traffic to it? It offers a nice unique twist on things. I guess having something authentic or substantial to post about is the most important thing.

Lakeshia Pennel March 16, 2011, 2:21 PM

towering book you’ve include

Nida Dills March 29, 2011, 3:57 PM

Keep functioning ,splendid job!

Jeremy O. Goldman March 31, 2011, 4:10 AM