Sick 6-Year-Old Sent Home from School with a Stranger

KPTV.com: BEAVERTON, Ore. -- A 6-year-old girl who became sick at school was sent home with a stranger after an error by school staff, according to the girl's mother.

sick six year old sent home with stranger

Trisha Bahr said employees at Reedville Elementary School looked up the wrong name and called the wrong person when her daughter became ill last week. Bahr said the man who was called showed up at the school, took her child to his home and then realized his mistake.

"How did this happen? And how did this person not know they didn't have their own grandchild?" Bahr asked. "I don't understand it. I don't understand how the mix-up happened."

The Hillsboro School District released a statement that said it is "conducting an investigation into the situation." School officials would not otherwise comment due to confidentiality requirements and because they're still in the fact-finding stage.

The girl's family remained baffled Tuesday on how the man continued the school employee's mistake.

"Thank you for bringing her back but that's a really hard one," Bahr said. "I just want him to know it scared the beejesus out of me to know my child was with someone else. I don't understand how he didn't know who he was picking up."

Bahr said she called police and called the school several times to determine how the mix-up occurred. She said the school principal told her someone else signed her out of school.

"At that point, I think my heart sank into my stomach," Bahr said.

Bahr said her daughter was "hysterical" and "bawling" when they reunited. While she has informed her daughter about the danger of talking to strangers, she said Juliana trusted staff at her school.

"If he wasn't a good person, I could have never seen my daughter again," Bahr said.

The school district would not release the name of the man who picked up Juliana Bahr.

The school's policy calls for a parent or guardian to sign out the student. There is not a policy about staff identifying parents or guardians who pick up the child from school.

Read more hot stories moms are talking about.

next: Mom Puts Kid in Box on Top of Van and Drives Off
ame i. October 6, 2009, 1:44 PM

My daughters are 9 and 11, old enough not to leave with anyone they do not know.
My older daughter is in private school. Her school has a list of approved people allowed to pick her up. My younger daughter’s public school has a list of people NOT allowed to pick her up.

ashley October 7, 2009, 4:21 AM

Hey, ame i., totally different subject but I am wondering how that works having one child in public and one in private. We have some friends and their oldest 10, is in private. The twins are 5 and will have to be in public and my friend and I are concerned that they might grow up and be like “What the heck, how come Anna went to private and we didn’t?” How do your kids handle it??

Anonymous January 12, 2010, 8:04 AM

The biggest question I have is; HOW on earth do you not realize they gave you the WRONG kid? This man took this child home and THEN realized the error?
What? Sounds strange.

Blackjack December 31, 2010, 5:11 PM

There is evidently a great deal for me to discover outside of my seminars. Thank you very much for the tremendous read.

Panama Hoteles January 2, 2011, 9:04 AM

Thank you for the absorbing read! Alright downtime is over and back to my homework.

Hoteles En Panama January 2, 2011, 2:10 PM

Thought I would escape a bit from homework to tell you how much I enjoy stopping by your blog. It is one of my daily pleasures. Thanks so much

Cary Blakelock January 6, 2011, 6:44 AM

Thank you for the absorbing read! Happy New Year, and keep up the good work in 2011!

internet marketing agency March 23, 2011, 3:22 AM

Thanks a lot for giving everyone a very wonderful chance to read critical reviews from this web site. It really is so useful and also packed with a good time for me and my office acquaintances to search your website at the least three times weekly to learn the newest guidance you have. And definitely, I’m so certainly impressed for the cool suggestions you serve. Certain two points on this page are surely the most suitable we’ve ever had.