Teach Your Kids to be Healthy in 8 Steps

Our diet and fitness expert shares tips on how to instill healthy eating and fitness habits in your child (without them knowing it!).

By JJ Virgin: A mother teaches her child many lessons, including stranger danger, looking twice before crossing the street, and keeping their tiny hands off a hot stove.

Another important life lesson that will serve your child for life is instilling healthy eating and fitness habits. A mother who sets their child on a course of picking fresh, wholesome foods and then revs everyone up to get moving is packing a one-two health punch.

I know you're saying, "But JJ, isn't it too late? Our family doesn't focus that much on eating right or moving. We're couch potatoes these days with a bag of burgers as dinner."

Never fear. It's not to late to turn it around and go healthy with a few great lessons.

Teach Your Kids to be Healthy in 8 Steps

1) Teach Them that You're the Food Boss

It's easy to avoid fast food places with young children. You're simply not going to go there. Unless your 5-year-old has his own set of car keys and knows how to drive, it will literally be impossible for him to hang out under the Golden Arches.

Quick funny story: A mom in Seattle watched her 4-year-old pitch a fit in the middle of the driveway, to the point that two neighbors ran over. At the top of his lungs, he screamed, "Help me! Help me! My mom won't take me to Taco Bell!" Yes, you might have to deal with a few meltdowns, but stay firm and the kids will know that fast food is the exception, not your daily fare.

2) Teach Them to Want Foods with Nutrients in Them

Many moms teach kids to figure out how many calories are in a certain food. This doesn't make sense to me. There are more calories in a piece of healthy baked chicken than a 100-calorie bag of chips. One is the healthy choice because it's packed with nutrients.

Sit down and explain to your kids that our bodies are a chemistry lab and need vitamins and minerals to grow and remain strong. Explain which foods are dense with these, and which are garbage foods with no vitamins or minerals. This will set up a lifetime habit of being aware of nutrients.

3) Teach Them to Read Labels

Yes, even small children can learn to read labels to figure out the value of foods. Is this food full of those vitamins and minerals we just discussed, or is it packed with chemicals we can't even pronounce that are bad for us?

Remind them: We don't eat chemicals. Yuck. We eat real food. Take your children into the produce aisle and explain that these natural foods don't even need labels because they're extremely healthy choices.

4) Change Your Child's Taste Buds

I know a wonderful mom who simply didn't give her son cookies, cake, doughnuts, etc., at all when he was a little boy. They were alien foods to him. Instead, she developed his taste buds to love the sweetness of a ripe blueberry or the tartness of a crunchy fall apple. If you keep sugar out of the home, your children won't crave it. You can also teach that sugar is a once-in-a-long-time treat, such as at a birthday party. Your goal is to not make processed sugar a daily part of their eating plan. Do this by developing their tastes for natural sweetness and tartness.

5) Don't Equate Going Out with Snacking

I know moms who bring a pantry's worth of treats every time they put their young child in a stroller for 20 minutes. This is not the Great Depression. No one is going to starve on the way to the park. Stop! Don't teach your child that they can't survive without constant snacking. If your child ate a good breakfast and lunch, she doesn't need to eat pretzels and crackers all afternoon. Most of these snacks have zero nutritional quality. This non-stacking rule is a great way to help your children eat meals because they'll actually be hungry and not constantly graze all day long.

6) Schedule Your Active Time

Most harried moms have to figure out how to find time for a shower. It's easy to let the day pass without any real active time, where you get out there and move with your kids. Just like going to the dentist or the doctor, you need to actually schedule this time in your family's planner. Take it seriously, and never miss your fitness appointments. Remember, your kids are modeling what you are doing -- if you are moving more, so will they!

7) Make Moving Fun

It's great to have a family gym membership and schedule time to go there as a group. But that can get a bit boring and feel like drudgery. It's much more fun to plan family events that involve moving. Go hiking in the woods, rent those rowboats, or participate in your town's walk-a-thon for a charity. You want to make fitness your lifestyle and teach your kids that moving is fun, and a great way for the entire family to enjoy each other's company.

8) Teach Them Not to Make Excuses

Explain to your child that life is all about priorities, and being healthy is their number-one job. Remind them that if they take care of their health, then they can be anything ... or do anything.

next: One Million Window Covers Recalled for Risks to Children
Aquarium einrichten March 5, 2011, 6:24 PM

Searching more to something like this…

vigrx pills March 5, 2011, 6:51 PM

That fantabulous post this has been. Within no way seen this kind associated with useful post. I’m grateful to you and anticipate much more associated with posts such as. Thank you very much.

high frequency hearing loss March 6, 2011, 5:51 AM

Hello. magnificent job. I did not anticipate this. This is a fantastic story. Thanks!

vigrx pills March 6, 2011, 9:02 AM

Finally, an issue that I am passionate about. I have looked for information of this caliber for the last several hours. Your site is greatly appreciated.

ucak firmalari March 6, 2011, 11:03 PM

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing…

Trinh Silvestre March 7, 2011, 9:33 AM

I am not so imaginative to be fit to put on paper excellent stuff like you do but I am trying to pay it back so hoepfully this will cause you a idiotic grin or make you snigger or at the very least give you a thought for the day? : There is no God higher than Truth!

hearing treatment March 7, 2011, 7:04 PM

picture chicken pox rash March 7, 2011, 8:01 PM

It’s actually a cool and useful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing

Ear Infection Symptoms March 8, 2011, 10:29 PM

This is absolutely gold. I was not expecting that I’d get so much out of reading your write up! You’ve just earned yourself a returning visitor :)

baby jogger city select March 8, 2011, 10:44 PM

That was a fantastic article. I don’t agree with every single single thing that you said but still good nonetheless. On a side note, I am so happy that the NFL is back. It seems like I been patiently waiting forever. This has to be my favorite time of the year. Sorry, I’m rambling. lol

css templates March 9, 2011, 6:17 AM

Thanks for the write up! Also, just a heads up, your RSS feeds aren’t working. Could you take a look at that?

films x March 9, 2011, 11:43 AM

Thanks for making the sincere attempt to give an explanation for this. I think very sturdy about it and want to be informed more. If it’s OK, as you reach extra in depth knowledge, may you mind adding more posts similar to this one with more information? It could be extraordinarily helpful and useful for me and my colleagues.

vimax pills March 9, 2011, 1:37 PM

What youre saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I also love the images you put in here. They fit so well with what youre trying to say. Im sure youll reach so many people with what youve got to say.

vimax March 10, 2011, 1:38 AM

Aw, this was a really great post. In theory I’d like to write like this also - taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.

Bankruptcy Lawyer New York March 10, 2011, 5:52 AM

Straight to the point and well written! Why can’t everyone else be like this?

This is the proper weblog for anybody who desires to search out out about this topic. You realize a lot its almost onerous to argue with you (not that I actually would need…HaHa). You positively put a brand new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Nice stuff, just great!

SEO Company March 11, 2011, 1:28 AM

Hello, I just hopped over to your website by the use of StumbleUpon. Not one thing I might normally learn, but I favored your feelings none the less. Thank you for making one thing value reading.

Frida Buttimer March 11, 2011, 3:08 PM

Thanks for your insightful articles this detailed data really usefull!. but, Continue the great work; additionally, Everyone should take the time to submit articles pretty much as good as this one and never saturate the internet with nothing. but, I’m going to share this with all of my friends!.

Yuette Yepsen March 11, 2011, 7:01 PM

Cheers with regard to the resources in the article and additionally in some others feed-back.

vimax March 11, 2011, 10:17 PM

Considerably, this post is really the sweetest on this notable topic. I harmonise with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your incoming updates. Saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the phenomenal clarity in your writing. I will directly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. Admirable work and much success in your business dealings!  Please excuse my poor English as it is not my first tongue.