Trend: The Luxury Dorm Room

Would you put your kid in one?

luxury dorm room

At Purdue University, parents can pay to upgrade their kids' dorm room from no-frills to whoa, thrills.

The newest dorm at Purdue now features flat screens, free laundry, maid service, private bathrooms, and no roommates.

Purdue's dorms usually cost $9,000 a year. But it's $14,000 for the new towers. Some parents say that's a small price to pay.

"She can study when she needs to study, she can sleep when she needs to sleep ... it's important to her," one mom who signed her daughter up for a luxe dorm tells The Early Show.

Purdue is not the only college that's doing this: 83 percent of new college dorms are offering hotel-like amenities, everything from hot tubs and beach volleyball courts to tanning booths.

What do you think about the luxury dorm trend? Comment below.

next: WIN! Giraffalaff Limbo and Scatterpillar Scramble
Kelley October 13, 2009, 1:48 PM

I’m currently a college freshman living in a suite style dorm, which at my university means there’s four of us in two double rooms, connected by a lounge and bathroom that we share. This costs around 11,000, and an extra 3,000 for all the included amenities described here doesn’t seem like all that much

PlumbLucky October 14, 2009, 7:28 AM

Granted, the $3K seems a bit “not so expensive”….overall it seems to push a sense of entitlement.

Seriously, college (and having a roommate who wasn’t related to me, having to do my own laundry, keep my grades up, manage my time, etc) taught me life skills. Having access to a flat screen TV, a maid and laundry service, etc. would have been nice but wouldn’t have taught me jack squat.

Cheryl October 15, 2009, 5:22 AM

I would offer to my children that if they want the luxe room, they have to pay the extra. I lived in a quad in college and it did not help me learn anything,I hated it. I don’t consider this a necessity by any means, but spending time cleaning and doing laundry does not really contribute to your GPA. If having all the amenities did not help get good grades, I’d cut it back in a heartbeat.

Allison October 15, 2009, 5:13 PM

Sounds awesome, but my parents would have never sprung for that. And maid service always makes me nervous— usually it’s lower class people that I totally don’t trust…

Sara November 4, 2009, 1:22 PM

And Allison: A lower class of people you totally don’t trust? You’re a spoiled brat. Some people don’t have everything handed to them on a silver spoon and actually have to work for a living. Screw you for degrading them and being so prejudice that you begrudge them an honest day’s work.

Meg November 4, 2009, 1:52 PM

Absolutely ridiculous. Just what this selfish, spoiled generation needs - even LESS responsibility! What the hell are they going to do with themselves when they graduate and move out on their own? Honestly, doing things like this is just setting children up to fail in their adult lives. They have no responsibilities these days, everything is just handed to them! It’s disgusting!

And this is coming from a 24 year old recent college grad. My room and board for my freshman year was somewhere around $7,000 - included a full meal plan, a double room with a shared bathroom adjoining two rooms (rooms included bed, desk, bureau, and closet per occupant). Laundry was free across campus. I cannot IMAGINE paying twice that for a maid and a flat screen. And there is no way in hell that I would ever put my children in those rooms. College is about learning - not just in the classroom, but life skills as well.

Rob November 6, 2009, 9:33 AM

Hey everyone, lay off Allison. Do you know how hard it is to find good help you can pay less than minimum wage that also speaks English? She has enough problems already. Do you know hard it is to be seen in last season’s Christian Lacroix?? And have you seen the car she drives? A BMW 3 series. She’s practically ghetto with anything under a 5 series. She may as well be driving AMERICAN! The last thing she needs to worry about is some low class brown person with some foreign sounding name from a country she’s never even heard of scrubbing her toilet.

mike November 15, 2009, 9:04 AM

There is no flat screen tv in the rooms, its only in common areas. $14,00 is for a studio room (500-600 sq ft) with your own bathroom. The maid service consists of changing sheets, vacuuming floors, taking out the trash, and cleaning the bathroom. This is not new, there are two other dorms at purdue which offered this service for close to 10 years if not longer. They are off limits to freshmens, grad students and seniors get priority, so the majority of the residents are grad students and seniors.

For the $14,000 quoted, that includes 3 meals per day for the entire school year, 3 buffet meals(salad bar, make your own pasta/pizza/mongolian bbq/omelette/sandwich), milk/soda/juice, desert, plus the usual weekly fares with the occasional steak nights - too much food to list. That averages to around $4-5/meal so its not too bad. The only thing you don’t have is cable tv. The internet speeds are at least 10mb/s.

Sara Haase May 18, 2010, 12:46 PM

ROB I LOVE YOU.

tom August 4, 2010, 9:05 PM

i do feel entitled to such amenities because i have had them my whole life and my family has enough money to provide my siblings and I with them. why should i start living like i don’t come from wealth when i am in college? in order to make you poor people feel better because you can’t afford such a nice dorm?

Maria  December 6, 2010, 8:05 PM

Oh Tom…if you’re not being facetious, you’re in for a really rude awakening when you enter the real world, sweetie.

BTW, I’m probably your age. I’m in college. The major difference between us? I’ve actually had to work for the things I wanted.

Carroll Spann March 16, 2011, 9:02 PM

This domain seems to get a large ammount of visitors. How do you get traffic to it? It offers a nice individual twist on things. I guess having something authentic or substantial to talk about is the most important factor.

backlink lists March 29, 2011, 1:04 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

computer support March 30, 2011, 8:01 PM

Hiya very nice website!! Guy .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your site and take the feeds also…I am satisfied to seek out numerous useful info right here within the submit, we’d like work out extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing… …

teton valley March 30, 2011, 10:48 PM

Intriguing, how do I apply this?

London Fashion Week Autumn/Winter 2011 March 30, 2011, 11:14 PM

Nice post. I used to be checking continuously this weblog and I’m inspired! Very helpful information specifically the last section :) I deal with such information much. I was looking for this certain info for a long time. Thanks and best of luck.

ereaders March 31, 2011, 12:49 AM

F*ckin’ tremendous things here. I am very happy to peer your article. Thank you a lot and i am looking forward to touch you. Will you please drop me a mail?

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 2:40 AM

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your site offered us with valuable information to work on. You’ve done an impressive job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

Glenn U. Dunlap March 31, 2011, 3:42 AM

Very helpful

wpolscemamymocneseo March 31, 2011, 12:56 PM

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my site so i came to “return the favor”.I’m attempting to find things to enhance my website!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!