10 Signs Your Husband Is Cheating

You may think you know how to detect your cheating man, but even I missed the signs.

man whispering into telephone

Flying Solo with Two Carry-Ons: I always thought I was smart. Not that I was necessarily so street smart, but after working for 15 years as a journalist, I did feel that I had a very good reporter's instinct. And, well, everyone always talks about women's intuition.

So imagine my surprise when, after more than seven years of marriage, I discovered that my husband was cheating on me, and ... that he had probably been doing it since the very beginning.

Clearly, I missed the top 10 signs that my husband was cheating on me.

10. When your best friend tells you over and over and over again that she suspects your husband is cheating.

9. When your husband complains that he is too tired to have sex.

8. When your husband calls you up at 2 AM telling you he is too drunk to drive home and doesn't want to spend $100 on a cab. So instead, he goes and spends $800 on a swanky Beverly Hills hotel. (Keep in mind ... he has never taken me there.)

7. When you just gave birth to your first child via C-section and your husband tells you he "has to work." (Even the nurse picked up on this one. In my defense, I was postpartum.)

6. When your husband goes out of town for work and tells you that if you call his hotel room and "enter name of girl here" answers, it's because he switched rooms with her since hers was better.

5. When your husband tells you he wants to do his own laundry. (I thought he was just being nice because I was so busy with the house and kids. My lawyer explained otherwise.)

4. You buy a new dinette set and your husband suddenly tells you the smell of the wood will give him an asthma attack. Instead of returning it, he gifts it to a "friend" who just happens to be a girl.

3. When your husband comes home at 3:30 AM and tells you he was working hard writing at the university library. Only problem is ... it closed at 5 PM.

2. When you question your husband about the STD test you discovered he took -- and he tells you it's because he was worried that he contracted something from a public bathroom.

1. When your husband posts on his Facebook page that he is engaged to some chick named Stacey.

Sad to say ... these are all true.

Julie Devaney November 19, 2009, 8:53 PM

If your husband buys new underware run to an attorney.
Been there done that.
Good luck to you.

Sad November 22, 2009, 9:29 PM

OMG he is such an AZZ! How sad a person would mistreat the person that they share breathing space with, like this. So sad he didn’t value you or your children. That azzhole will see this again. And God will get him MUCH better than you ever could!

wayne December 3, 2009, 12:07 PM

if these r the best he could come up wit he needs 2 get caught

Anonymous December 11, 2009, 11:48 AM

Thanks! Now I know what I have to do when I’m out cheating on my wife! Much appreciated!

Logical December 14, 2009, 5:25 PM

Just remember, most studies are done with those self-reporting cheating. When men cheat, there isn’t a reason in the world for it. When women cheat, they were forced into to it due to lack of emotion in their relationship…”he made me”. It is proven in research that self-reporting doesn’t take into account “justified affairs.” So before you go off on all men, remember that there are MANY who don’t have affairs and about as man who have had girlfriends/wives who have had affairs on them. It is a human thing, not a gender thing.

Russ January 9, 2010, 7:59 PM

Kudos to ‘Logical’. In many years of conducting relationship workshops, I have found about as many women as men who cheat. And, it is wrong.
But a common thread I found is that the spouses assumed they did not nee dto work on their marriage. That only those deep in trouble, did.
So, I wrote a book about ways to avoid such problems.
Anyway, folks, any marriage can be improved. And, if you work on it, it is unlikely that there will be cheating.

Russ

Steven February 2, 2010, 10:16 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SUCKAAAAAAAAA
you got what you deserved >:D

SS June 5, 2010, 1:08 AM

You lot are a bunch of heartless people. Once your SO cheats on you (and believe me, there’s a high probability it will happen) would you love a group of people insulting your intelligence on top of being cheated on? Lighten up

I feel sorry for anyone who has been cheated on, but what I do agree with on this subject matter is leaving the cheating person. Like a broken record, cheaters will always be cheaters. It’s either a mental or emotional issue, maybe both, but staying with a cheater does not make your life better at all. Do you think they’d still respect you after giving you the biggest slap in the face?
Seeing you crawl back into their arms? Of course they’re going to keep cheating on you, dear. You’re letting them. That goes for anyone as well.

As for the person who said you have to keep your man in line, thank you for adding to the fact that men are basically dogs who need to be put on a leash.

I don’t understand how hard it is to just end a marriage/relationship instead of hurting the other person. I’ve never been cheated on, and don’t plan on giving anyone the chance to.

Enfant forum March 5, 2011, 6:25 PM

A powerful share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in reality purchased me breakfast as a result of I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying more on this topic. If possible, as you develop into expertise, would you thoughts updating your weblog with extra details? It is extremely useful for me. Huge thumb up for this weblog post!

kristin March 12, 2011, 8:28 AM

so sorry to hear about all of this and try not to be so hard on yourself none of this is your fault and your not stupid, you just trusted your hubby many woman fall for this simple reason. the best advice i can give you is dont trust anybody my mother always told me you cant trust anyone not your neighbor not the preacher at the church not the officer who pulled you over and as far as to your uncle! since i was cheated on ive found it hard to trust anyone but the positive side to this is that i dont get hurt anymore. without trust theres no emotional attatchment therefore when they cheat like mine is doing it doesnt hurt as bad. now dont misunderstand me i dont cheat infact im so lonley ive thought about digging my hole but thats the price im willing to take to avoid ever being hurt in that way again. so for you i pray that everything works out the way god want it to and if you want a divorce by all means im not stopping you i would and am going to when i have hard core evidence my hubby is cheating on me and trust it does eventually come out, IM TIRED OF HIM TELLING ME ITS JUST ACUSATIONS NO PROFF- SO JUST AS SOON AS I HAVE A WAY AROUND RATHER THAN BEING STUCK IN THE HOUSE IM POSITIVE I WILL CATCH HIM THERES A REASON HES KEPT ME TRAPPED .HERES A VERSE FOR YOUR PROBLEM THOUGH MATTHEWS 19:9