Can Marijuana Help Kids with Autism?

This mom says giving her kid pot has made all the difference.

pot

Gina Kaysen Fernandes: As the mother of an autistic child, Marie Myung-Ok Lee is navigating uncharted territory as she struggles to manage her son's condition. She has bravely come forward to share her son's battle with this mysterious disorder, and to discuss how medical marijuana has brought them both back from the brink of despair.

During what Marie calls the "dark phase," her son J had unpredictable mood swings that could erupt into fitful rages. Her 9-year-old would scream during lengthy tantrums, he refused to eat and threw his food on the floor. J broke plates, windows, and other household items as a way of expressing his pain and frustration. The family would hide out within the confines of their home until the darkness passed.

J's behavior disrupted his school performance and terrified the staff. "The teachers were wearing tae kwon do arm pads to protect themselves against his biting," Marie said. The school monitored J's daily outbursts on an "aggression chart" that documented as many as 300 episodes in one day that involved hitting, kicking, biting, or pinching another person.

With her son in crisis, Marie had no choice but to perform an intervention. But the only solution offered by child psychiatrists came in a pill bottle. "His school tried to force us to medicate him," says Marie, who feared the risk of dangerous side effects associated with commonly prescribed antipsychotic drugs like Risperdal. Many of the FDA-approved drugs on the market used to treat symptoms of autism have no proven safety track record for use in children.

Despite the unknown risks, more kids are using prescription drugs than ever before. The number of children on psychiatric meds has skyrocketed in recent years, according to reports in medical journals such as Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. Prescription drug use is growing faster among children than the elderly and baby boomers. But when it comes to medicating kids with marijuana, the issue becomes taboo.

"There's no such thing as a harmless drug, but marijuana is much less harmful than other drugs," said Lester Grinspoon, M.D., a professor emeritus of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Grinspoon is a leading expert in the field of medical marijuana, who has authored several books on the subject. "No one in the world has died from marijuana," insists Grinspoon, who has spent four decades researching the illicit drug.

Undeterred by the social stigma, Marie pursued this more natural approach to calm J's demons. After discussing her wishes with J's pediatrician, Marie decided to check out Marinol, a synthetic form of THC, which is the primary cannabinoid in marijuana. After fine-tuning J's dosage, she began hearing praises like, "J was a pleasure to have in speech class," instead of complaints about his violent episodes.

After a few months, J built up a tolerance to the drug and his unruly behavior returned. "The drawback of taking Marinol is that it's only THC. That's the most powerful cannabinoid, but it may not be the most relevant," said Mitch Earleywine, Ph.D., an associate professor of psychology at the State University of New York at Albany. Earleywine says there are about 70 different cannabinoids in the marijuana plant, many of which have medicinal value. Marie decided to take a chance on the real deal.

All it took was a signed prescription and a background check for J to become the youngest person in Rhode Island to obtain a license for pot. After buying some marijuana-infused olive oil, Marie made a batch of pot cookies. That night, J ate half of one cookie and "he was tired and conked out," said Marie, who checked hourly on his sleep, "half-expecting some red-eyed ogre from Reefer Madness to come leaping out at us." To her relief, J slept soundly and appeared happy and mellow the next day.

Over the past four months, Marie has documented her son's progress in an online blog entitled, Why I Give My 9-Year-Old Pot, Part II. While she doesn't believe marijuana is a cure for autism, it "allows J to participate more fully in life without the dangers and sometimes permanent side effects of pharmaceutical drugs." Dr. Grinspoon has seen positive results with a number of his autistic patients who are undergoing pot therapy. "I can confidently say to a parent that marijuana relieves some types of pain. It's not going to hurt them if you use it responsibly," Grinspoon says. Ingesting the drug works better because the effects can last up to eight hours. "A little goes a long way," says Earleywine, who reminds parents that the drug can take up to an hour and a half to kick in, "so wait a little while before administering any more."

While a growing number of distressed parents are turning to the herbal remedy, many moms with autistic kids are skeptical. "I feel it does more harm than good," says Trish, the mother of a 7-year-old boy with autism. "You are sedating the child, not treating the cause of the rage." Trish believes that medicating kids with pot is a cop-out. "Nobody said parenting was going to be easy, or that the solution to every problem is to get our children stoned."

The mainstream medical community shuns the subject, and the government refuses to fund any research that would legitimize marijuana use in treating autism or aggression disorders. "Marijuana is a very loaded subject," says Cara Natterson, M.D., a pediatrician and mother of two. "As a parent and as a pediatrician, I feel a responsibility to know that what I am putting into a child -- mine or someone else's -- is safe and tested."

The American Academy of Pediatrics opposes the legalization of marijuana, but does support further research into the potential medical benefits of cannabis. "We need to make sure the treatment is safe -- we haven't done that," Natterson adds. The doctor can sympathize with parents who desperately want to help their child. "But wanting to advocate for your child and making sure your child is safe are two different things," Natterson said.

Marie is confident that she has made the right choice when she sees J's transformation. "He doesn't look stoned. He just looks like a happy little boy."

next: Stigma Part of Breast Cancer's Grip on Poor
hornGeateanaermgreen March 7, 2011, 1:12 AM

3D the green hornet jay chou the green hornet the green hornet seth rogen

hunkabarry1 March 8, 2011, 12:53 PM

No one in the world has died from marijuana.It allows one to participate more fully in life w/out the dangers sometimes permamanent side effects of pharmaceutical drugs.Some of the temporary side effects are red eyes,mouth is dry,muscles are relaxed and increased appetite
I am a 50 yr old and have smoked marijuana for 37yrs. and have no noticeable side effects.I smoked my first joint in 1974,I know that if something were to be wrong with my lungs it could be from the weed back in the 70’s.It was sprayed in Mexico with a chemical paraquat by the U.S. gov.And who knows what else from having to be smuggled here in diesel tanks etc.
Now days the weed is alot safer grown domestically.And that is the way it should be to prevent the coruption along our borders etc.
The goverment needs to figure out how to regulate it for both recreational and medical purposes.And set up testing just like any other consumed substance in this country.

ambienadurnatrity March 14, 2011, 7:38 AM

40 mg ambien safe where to buy ambien cr ambien for sale online

ambienadurnatrity March 15, 2011, 2:53 AM

is 20 mg ambien safe side effects of ambien overdose ambien withdrawal time

ciekawe March 17, 2011, 3:53 PM

I know you’d like to defend your maple-syrup drinking breathern up North who can’t even figure out how to win in the Olympics THEY host when they spend 9 months of the year playing Winter sports, but… let’s face it, the only thing Canada can do right is health care and a balanced immigration policy. That’s it!

Alveo March 21, 2011, 5:23 PM

Which golf clubs will be the best for beginner ?

Pharmf970 March 24, 2011, 11:57 PM

Hello! fbgafeg interesting fbgafeg site!

webwatcher review March 28, 2011, 9:21 PM

Great info, do you mind if I reference back to it? I’m blogging about this too, thanks for sharing it.

regeneracja sterownikow Y17DTL March 28, 2011, 10:33 PM

Oh my goodness! an incredible article dude. Thank you Nonetheless I’m experiencing problem with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss downside? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

Saul Zavatson March 29, 2011, 6:30 PM

Wow! Thank you! I continually needed to write on my website something like that. Can I take a portion of your post to my website?

Colleen O. Coble March 31, 2011, 3:21 AM

Intriguing

Jules April 2, 2011, 11:09 AM

Cannabis 4 Autism on Facebook :) x

Collene Stasulis April 2, 2011, 1:53 PM

Hi! Quick question that’s entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when viewing from my iphone4. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to fix this issue. If you have any suggestions, please share. Many thanks!

Carson Lortie April 3, 2011, 5:55 AM

Howdy just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.

Collene Stasulis April 4, 2011, 3:09 AM

Many thanks for creating this place wonderful, i must say i appreciate all of the toil that you simply do on this great website.

Son Dawood April 4, 2011, 4:47 PM

Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your post seem to be running off the screen in Chrome. I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know. The design and style look great though! Hope you get the issue resolved soon. Many thanks

Megan E. Welch April 5, 2011, 2:30 PM

Hi there, - came across this web site inadvertently whilst drifting across the web this morning, and pleased that i did! I do like the structure and colors, but I ought to say that I’m having trouble when it loads. I’m using Camino 1 web browser for mac, and the menu would not line up well. i am convinced I have employed precisely the same layout on a company’s website, but the menu seems okay on mine. I suspect the error is at this end and I suppose it’s about time to swap!

Yuk Pere April 6, 2011, 6:41 PM

I was more than happy to find this internet-site.I needed to thanks for your time for this wonderful learn!! I undoubtedly having fun with every little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you weblog post.

Dreama Sansburn April 7, 2011, 10:07 AM

Hello! thanks for the great writing vogue. Keep it up!

Isiah Stiehl April 8, 2011, 5:41 AM

You have noted very fascinating points ! ps tight web web site here.