Is Airing Your Clean Laundry ... Dirty?

Doing laundry the old-fashioned way has led to some good old-fashioned neighborhood squabbles.

laundry-a.jpg
In order to decrease their carbon footprint, many people have decided to ditch their dryers and hang their clothes outside to dry. Sounds like good clean fun, right? Wrong. Though clotheslines are not illegal, neighbors have been complaining and bullying those attempting to go green.

Carin Froelich, one such air-dryer, has been ordered by her town official to stop putting her laundry on clotheslines at her Pennsylvania home. "They said it made the place look like trailer trash," Froelich told the New York Times. "They said they didn't want to look at my 'unmentionables.'"

A few states have taken up the cause to protect the old-fashioned clothesline from discrimination, but most have not.

Project Laundry List, an organization that's attempting to promote air-drying, reports that dryers use "10 to 15% of domestic energy in the United States and are the leading cause of house fires among appliances." Still, others argue that laundry lines, apart from being ugly to look at, can even lower property values.

Do you think clotheslines stink?

next: No 'Red Eye' in Photos Could Indicate Cancer
Ross November 19, 2009, 4:09 PM

Dryers are one of the worst and unnecessary excesses in modern life, there’s nothing wrong with air drying, stop being so stuck up and snobbish.

Fanny November 19, 2009, 4:22 PM

What the hell? Everyone here on the island where I live air dries our laundry. If you don’t want people looking at your “unmentionables” then we just set up a clothesline in the basement and hang those there. Problem solved, plus, you save a lot of money on your electricity bill.

Dumbasses -.- “Go Green!… as long as we don’t have to see it!” whatever, my panties are going on the line.

Sharon November 19, 2009, 4:33 PM

I have a drying rack and “portable closet” that I use for about 75% of my laundry. Sheets, jeans and towels go in the drier. I rent, so I can’t have a clothesline.

diane taylor November 20, 2009, 6:42 AM

i air dry to save me money and to save the planet

Lindy November 20, 2009, 7:08 AM

I hang my clothes and don’t care what the neighbors think.

Anonymous November 22, 2009, 1:16 PM

I like to dry outside also(not our undies, my preference). The sun is a great way to whiten whites, I tend to fold more, and it great when you have no one to help with sheets and hopefully continue to do so.
But sorry to say Arlington Tx (actually aka J Jones Town). If your too close to “it”, the city codes are different than in other parts of Jones Town(oops,my bad)Arlington.

Sad but true.

dion February 26, 2011, 3:17 PM

lol don’t take the risk. some neighbors might organize against you. other might not mind one bit.

Frigidaire Dryer Parts