Just Another Mom Addicted to Twilight

Crap. That was my first thought when I opened the book, read the first chapter, and was immediately hooked.

twilight book

Christina Montoya Fiedler: I had been avoiding it for so long. I heard my friends talking about it. I went to see the first movie with my mother-in-law (reluctantly). It didn't help that everywhere I looked, it stared me in the face. My name is Christina Montoya Fiedler, and I am a Twilight addict.

There, I said it. Granted, I'm only on my third day of reading the first book (hundreds of pages in), yet, it was enough to set the addiction in motion. I have my head stuck in it every free chance I get -- and the rest of the saga is on my nightstand just waiting to be read. These were borrowed from a friend who warned me of what would happen if I started reading, that I would be hooked. Now I am, like some lovesick teenager.

Pathetic? Maybe. But I find it to be peaceful. Aside from the dramatic love story between Bella and Edward, it's a fantastic escape from my hectic days as a mom -- a chance to drift into dreamland where vampires roam, true love lives, and chivalry is expected. I can let my mind go blank and feel the stress melt. It's like a vacation. I don't have to think. I don't have to be "on." I just read and let my mind take me to Forks. On a side note, I never even knew that a place called Forks, Wash., existed. I had to go Google that to find out.

The whole experience reminded me of where books can take you, and the validity of a good read. Something must be said for the emotions that written prose evokes. And reading a good book is truly an adult activity, which again brings me down to earth and back into my own skin as a person. I can choose where I want to go, what I want to do, and with whom I spend my time, just through reading.

So have I joined the ranks of Twilight-obsessed fans? Maybe I'm not that far gone, but you can be sure to find me in a movie theater on November 20 for the theatrical release of "New Moon." And for those of you that are counting, that gives me less than a month to read many, many pages ...

next: Mom Will Broadcast Birth Live on Internet
Renae  November 3, 2009, 5:43 PM

Instead of reading this piece of garbage maybe people should try REAL literature. Stephanie Meyer is a terrible writer, and the plot and prose of Twilight is an insult to the works of many great writers. I can’t wait till this fad is over…

Barb November 4, 2009, 6:57 AM

As a writer myself, it’s hilarious to me to hear someone say Stephanie Meyer is a bad writer. She puts sentences together in a way that’s engaging. She uses words correctly, and in the right order. She’s hooked millions of people with her stories (even those of us who don’t fall into her writing genre!). That’s not bad writing.

Yes, I know this is an argument based on personal preference, but how do you back up that statement, Renae? I’d really like to understand your logic.

I, personally, would say James Frey (remember “A Million Little Pieces”?) is a bad writer because his entire book was a jumble of words thrown onto paper, but even that could be argued by someone, I suppose.

Renae  November 4, 2009, 4:39 PM

“A couple of chapters into Twilight, I was seriously flabbergasted. How in the world did this book even get past an editor? Meyer’s writing style reminds me of what would happen if a Harlequin Romance was mashed with the Flowers in the Attic series. The flowery prose, the countless, breathless descriptions of Edward’s teeth, the way Meyer pours out adjectives like a bartender who forgot to put the regulator on the vodka bottle – it all makes for a cringe inducing writing style that makes me wonder if Meyer sold her soul to get this published.”
-Book review from HereticalIdeas.com

…that’s pretty much my logic. Just because something sells doesn’t make it good. Twilight was also rejected by 9 publishers…I’m not the only one who thinks it’s crap.

pia November 5, 2009, 9:55 PM

It’s true by reading the Twilight series, adults might run the risk of being ridiculed by the other literary adults out there. But despite having her works called literary disasters by some, Stephanie Meyer’s novels could lure grown-ups and moms to the wonder world of vampires and werewolves; where a damsel in distress (really any mom is one) is being courted and worshipped by gorgeous vampire and werewolf (which woman wouldn’t want to have strong and handsome admirers?). Some of us need to escape from reality even for a couple of hours (I lost one day sleep over the novel) so we could come back at peace or even a little bit lovestruck and ready to battle dirty diapers, sibling rivalry, kids’ school works, etc.
oh by the way, those publishers who rejected Meyer’s books probably beat themselves with a stick or even fired whoever rejecting the manuscripts already.

pia November 5, 2009, 10:05 PM

Barb November 6, 2009, 6:37 AM

MOST writers have a stack of reject letters before they get published. And let’s not forget that her genre is young adults.

jackieCA November 24, 2009, 4:28 PM

My husband introduced me to the Twilight Saga. He became hooked to the novels as well after borrowing it from a coworker (yes, men read it too). He said it was a way for him to escape the stress of work, our children, etc. in a positive way. At first, I was apprehensive to reading a vampire novel. However, my husband assured me that it would be nothing like an Anne Rice novel (which by the way, I did not enjoy reading back in my 20’s) and he was absolutely right about it. I thoroughly enjoyed all 4 novels. I had not even read a novel in years since the Twilight Saga. Basically, I just read my boring computer science books. Now I’m back into reading other novels. So, I thank Stephanie Meyers and my husband for re-introducing me to the wonderful world of novel reading. Thanks so much!

Lisa(TX) November 30, 2009, 3:21 AM

These books are terrific. I read the first one and got hooked. I’m a 37 year old mom and I agree with the others that reading these books are a great form of escapism. My daughter isn’t as intrigued as I am, but she loves the movies! Chivalry is alive in these books and all of us love the chivalry! Great work Stephenie!