Lez Ya Bunches

Brett Berk: Lauren Myracle is a church-going Christian, a mom, a Colorado resident, and the kind of awesome person who, when I call her up for an interview, admits that her kids are home on a snow day and driving her crazy -- so she's talking to me while hiding in her minivan out in the garage. But in addition to her skill at ducking the effects of a snowstorm, she's also highly capable of responding to a s*#t-storm, namely one that's erupted over her new book, Luv Ya Bunches.

two woman holding hands

Some months ago, her publisher, Abrams, submitted the book to Scholastic to be a part of two of their distinct in-school programs -- their Book Clubs, in which kids order books from a form, and their Book Fairs, in which actual books are set up for sale. The company came back with some comments.

"They DIDN'T say, 'Change this and we'll take it,'" Lauren told me. Rather, they said there was "some content that was problematic for them." There were some minor language issues, "things like the word 'crap,' and a 'dingleberry' reference," which felt kind of standard. But one of their other notes was a bit more significant. "They mentioned wanting us to address the fact that one of the characters, Mila, has two moms." Lauren blanched. "I said we'd do the other stuff, but not that."

Why didn't she cave, and turn Leslie into Les? Well, because she's got herself some authorial backbone. And because she's all about writing books that, as she says, "tell an authentic story," and the reality is that many American kids, upwards of 200,000 of them, have two moms or two dads. "The whole point was to have a cast of main characters that reflect the diversity of today's elementary schools," Lauren told me. "The moms' lesbianism is incidental. It's not a plot point or the source of some big lesson in the book. Just like there's a half Asian girl, an African-American girl who lives just with her dad, and a Muslim girl who wears a headscarf, there's a girl with two moms."

Well, dingleberries excised and "crap" changed to "stuff," Scholastic's Book Clubs agreed and accepted "Luv Ya" for sale and distribution. But the Book Fairs said that if the two moms stayed, they would pass.

"This isn't censorship, per se," Lauren stated. "This is a private company deciding what can and can't be included among the products they decide to sell." She should know about this kind of semantic hair-splitting. Her books for older kids (The Internet Girls Series) have all sat on the New York Times best-seller list -- and have been among those most challenged in our nation's libraries for the past two years running. "But librarians and teachers and parents who support the Scholastic Book Fairs don't realize that there's a vetting process," Lauren explained. "And that the selection of books they're offered have been chosen and considered. Again, this is perfectly legal and in Scholastic's rights. But it would be nice if they would make their selection process transparent so that people can make an informed decision about it."

Well, their process is certainly a bit more public now. Their refusal to carry Luv Ya caused public outcry when the story was broken by the School Library Journal -- it was picked up all over the Internet, and even on Conan O'Brien. In response, the Scholastic Book Fairs have caved a bit and said that they'll now allow the book at their middle school sales, noting that it contains "mature" content. But Luv Ya Bunches isn't a middle school book. It's about fifth graders. And anyone with even an iota of expertise in how kids work (like, perhaps, one of the biggest youth publishing and distribution companies in the world) knows that the last thing a 6th to 8th grader wants to be associated with is anything having to do with 5th grade. Duh!

It also isn't a "mature" book. I've made this point many times before, and I'll make it again: homosexuality is no more "mature" than heterosexuality, and we endorse and overtly demonstrate that "lifestyle" for kids -- even very young kids -- in stories, books, and other media all the time. One isn't any more difficult to comprehend than the other. It's all part of the normal range of human experience. Only the players differ.

Seems like Scholastic is starting to get this message, at least a bit. "I think Scholastic Book Fairs is full of good people who are trying to figure out what the world is today just like the rest of us are," Lauren said. "And perhaps they were operating from outdated selection policies."

I agree. And I agree with Lauren and her publishers' support of Scholastic's change of heart. But, as Lauren said at the end of our conversation, "That's no reason not to keep pushing." Push on, sister. I'm pushing right beside you.

next: Woman Calls 911 on Herself
Mrs. Dewees November 3, 2009, 6:32 AM

This is not a book that I would ever purchase for my children. I understand that having two moms or two dads is “normal” for some, but is not for our family. My children are taught manners and they treat everyone equally even those who choose to be gay, but they understand that type of lifestyle choice is a sin. They also understand that we all sin and fall short of the glory of God and that no one person is better than another. My children do go to public school so I will be a lot more cautious when it comes time for book fairs and be sure to thoroughly look through the books they desire to add to their collection.

Surprised November 3, 2009, 8:21 AM

@Mrs. Dewees - Apparently for the manners you may have taught your children, ignorance continues to be a marked characteristic. Being gay is not a lifestyle choice. Clearly you know nothing about gays and choose to remain ignorant. Your children lose out - and god forbid, one grows up to be gay. Pity for that child.

MarMar November 3, 2009, 8:45 AM

One of my daughter’s best friends has two moms. I will buy her this book when she is old enough, if, of course, she has any interest in reading it. I have to wonder, have Mrs. Dewees or the people protesting the books ever had their children befriend the child of gay parents? Or are they told to stay away from these kids? The book isn’t about the lesbian moms, it’s about the girls. Removing the moms is like saying such parents don’t exist. And my daughter’s friendship with this girl has nothing to do with who her parents are, as I’m sure is the situation in the book.

Aunt Jeannie November 10, 2009, 7:42 AM

I applaud Lauren Myracle.Takes guts to stick to your guns.I have suggested books to my preschool training group, but witout response. Keep on keeping on!

Keva Wawrzyniak November 27, 2010, 6:04 AM

Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this also - taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get anything done… Regards…

Shay Sark November 29, 2010, 12:49 AM

Hey mate! I thought I might write a comment and assure you that your webpages theme is really smudged on my iPhone 4. Appears to work okay in Opera though. Anyway keep up the fabulous work!

mcdonalds nutrition November 29, 2010, 5:47 AM

I know it sounds crazy but this reminded me of Abraham Lincoln’s: “Everybody likes a compliment.”

burger king application December 2, 2010, 7:24 AM

I have been searching the internet for this, and I am glad I found it here! Thanks. Site has been added to my RSS feed for later browsing.

burger king menu menu December 2, 2010, 11:05 PM

I generally do not post in Blogs but your blog forced me to, amazing work.. beautiful

mcdonalds monopoly December 4, 2010, 7:03 AM

I am new to your blog and just spent about 1 hour and 30 minutes reading. I think I will frequently visit your blog from now on. I will definitely learn a lot from them.

mcdonalds menu December 10, 2010, 7:22 AM

I really like the style of the website. I had a peek at your source code, hope you don’t mind, to check what theme you are using. Is it it a no cost theme or do I have to purchase it?

north carolina beach rentals oceanfront January 8, 2011, 12:23 PM

Also, I should add that the website link to Drakes Beach Cafe no longer leads to their website; I could not find it anywhere online.

vacation rentals maui January 8, 2011, 1:58 PM

Coming from a Lonely Planet editor who grew up in Santa Cruz, your stamp of approval means a lot. Im flattered. Thank you! JV

hello January 20, 2011, 5:39 AM

Berth is nicely cursive and it contains many saving things for me. I am willing to gain your formidable way of work the business. Now it transform simple for me to understand and obligate the construct. Thanks for intercourse the job.
funny quotes

bare essentials mineral makeup February 4, 2011, 6:28 AM

Oh my goodness! an incredible article dude. Thank you Nevertheless I am experiencing problem with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting similar rss drawback? Anyone who is aware of kindly respond. Thnkx

Bankruptcy Lawyers February 12, 2011, 1:57 PM

I’ve been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this web site. Thanks , I’ll try and check back more frequently. How frequently you update your site?

louis vuitton wallet May 4, 2011, 7:19 PM

I notice you have not written one more weblog for a while?