Mom Finds Absent Ex on Facebook. Now What?

Single Mom Seeking: Dr. Leah chides me about this all the time: why the public nature of Facebook is NOT a good thing.

woman using computer

Whether it's about posting your kids' photos on Facebook or bad-mouthing your ex with your social network, Dr. Leah often reminds me that this information isn't necessarily going to your "real" friends.

Recently, however, Dr. Leah's eyes opened. Here's what happened:

A mom who goes by "Single Mom Paying Off Debt" wrote to us about finding pictures of her long-absent ex on his sister's Facebook account. She knew her son was the spitting image of his father. But she'd never seen pictures of her ex when he was a youngster.

So, she set out to copy these pictures to her hard drive. Can you guess why?

Yes, this mom saved these photos to show her son when he's older and the time is right. This mother plans to hold onto these photos -- in safekeeping -- with the idea that perhaps, someday, her child might ask about his father and simply be curious.

Of course, he may never ask to see photos, and they'll remain out of sight. But many kids, as they get older, DO ask, and it's often hard when they have no image of that absent parent.

We'd love to hear from other moms on this one: Do you think this mother is doing the right thing by holding onto these photos? Or, should she just let this go and move on?

One single mom disagrees with us. She says: "I don't understand the 'benefit' of showing your kids baby pics of their absent parent. It seems to me like those pics are more fodder for infatuation and confusion for your child."

She adds: "I don't think it is the job of the present parent to go hunting down the past of your ex so that you and your child can walk down a memory lane that neither of you belong to. I truly do not see the benefit."

What do YOU think?

next: One Twin with Juvenile Diabetes
april November 4, 2009, 11:29 AM

I think that it’s hard to say that she’s right or wrong. I think that it truly depends on circumstances. If the child wants to know about his father, then tell him the truth. No more, no less. If he asks to see pictures then she has them and doesn’t have to go looking for them later. If he doesn’t care to see them, then she has caused no harm.

Peggy Gorman November 10, 2009, 7:52 AM

I don’t see any harm and someday he may see his father. Its so much more than pictures,the child will be grown up and having a family of his own. It would be nice for them to see the pictures

mandy November 20, 2009, 12:01 PM

I actually did a very similar thing…I honestly hope my daughter is never too curious about her biological father, as she’s lucky to have a beyond wonderful daddy now, but just in case she curious, I have a few photos and identifying details should she ever wish to track him down as an adult.

Anonymous January 3, 2010, 12:42 PM

I think it’s ok. My son is 10 and my ex has been absent since before my son’s first birthday. I keep photos of my ex tucked away. My son knows that I have them and IF he wants to see them, he just needs to ask.

Hemorrhoid Cure November 27, 2010, 5:33 PM

Fine info. Nice piece of info, finally a decent website with good information in it.

Marbella apartments for sale December 10, 2010, 5:11 AM

Nice information. Very helpful, I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Funny Th Birthday Invitation Wording December 12, 2010, 1:28 AM

Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you’re kind, amazing things will happen.

summer 2012 hair colors December 22, 2010, 3:58 AM

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing.

popular short hairstyles 2012 2 December 22, 2010, 4:08 AM

It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him.

Erik Tonini January 7, 2011, 1:29 PM

Excellent site. Thanks so much, very informative and easy to understand.

Carol Tunget January 19, 2011, 1:46 AM

Fine reading. Nice piece of info, very informative and easy to understand.

Bass Wood Blinds January 19, 2011, 5:51 PM

Could you PM me and give me a few more facts about this, I am really fan of your webblog! just subscribed to your feed. Would you be interested in exchanging site roll Thanks again for putting this online. I certainly loved every part of it.

tattoo letters font January 20, 2011, 7:44 PM

I came across your site while I was doing research for my school paper. I was so hooked, I fell way behind on my work. When I get finished doing my research I will be back for more. Thanks for the great post’s.

Matthew Waltmon January 25, 2011, 10:01 PM

Some truly fantastic content on this website,thankyou for contribution.

Christi Kreutzer February 11, 2011, 3:57 AM

Very well written post. It will be beneficial to anybody who employess it, as well as me. Keep up the good work - for sure i will check out more posts.

color schemes for decorating February 17, 2011, 11:34 AM

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Alonzo Crites February 20, 2011, 5:29 PM

There is apparently a lot to realize about this. I think you made some nice points in features also.

Carol Cloonan February 24, 2011, 4:24 AM

I am continually browsing online for ideas that can help me. Thanks!

japan speed dating February 25, 2011, 4:22 PM

This really answered my problem, thank you!

George Saous February 26, 2011, 7:20 AM

I like this post a lot. I’ll certainly be back. Hope that I will be able to go through much more helpful posts then. Is going to be sharing your wisdom with all of my friends!