Mom Finds Absent Ex on Facebook. Now What?

Single Mom Seeking: Dr. Leah chides me about this all the time: why the public nature of Facebook is NOT a good thing.

woman using computer

Whether it's about posting your kids' photos on Facebook or bad-mouthing your ex with your social network, Dr. Leah often reminds me that this information isn't necessarily going to your "real" friends.

Recently, however, Dr. Leah's eyes opened. Here's what happened:

A mom who goes by "Single Mom Paying Off Debt" wrote to us about finding pictures of her long-absent ex on his sister's Facebook account. She knew her son was the spitting image of his father. But she'd never seen pictures of her ex when he was a youngster.

So, she set out to copy these pictures to her hard drive. Can you guess why?

Yes, this mom saved these photos to show her son when he's older and the time is right. This mother plans to hold onto these photos -- in safekeeping -- with the idea that perhaps, someday, her child might ask about his father and simply be curious.

Of course, he may never ask to see photos, and they'll remain out of sight. But many kids, as they get older, DO ask, and it's often hard when they have no image of that absent parent.

We'd love to hear from other moms on this one: Do you think this mother is doing the right thing by holding onto these photos? Or, should she just let this go and move on?

One single mom disagrees with us. She says: "I don't understand the 'benefit' of showing your kids baby pics of their absent parent. It seems to me like those pics are more fodder for infatuation and confusion for your child."

She adds: "I don't think it is the job of the present parent to go hunting down the past of your ex so that you and your child can walk down a memory lane that neither of you belong to. I truly do not see the benefit."

What do YOU think?

next: One Twin with Juvenile Diabetes
Carrol Lombardi March 30, 2011, 6:39 AM

I’m glad I found your site on yahoo. Good info, and I’ll come back.

review games March 30, 2011, 6:48 AM

Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to really like, to work, to play, and to appear up at the stars.

Holistic Dog Food March 30, 2011, 6:54 AM

Here’s a comment. Great advice =) Thanks

natural diabetes control March 30, 2011, 6:55 AM

I am glad to be one of several visitants on this great website (:, regards for putting up.

Alfred R. Griffith March 31, 2011, 4:35 AM

Very helpful

mBank March 31, 2011, 4:46 PM

Can I simply say what a relief to find somebody who truly is aware of what theyre speaking about on the internet. You undoubtedly know easy methods to convey a difficulty to gentle and make it important. Extra people need to read this and perceive this aspect of the story. I cant imagine youre no more standard because you positively have the gift.

Natural Dog Food March 31, 2011, 6:13 PM

Grande alberino! Ringraziamenti per richiedere tempo scrivere qualcosa che sia realmente degno lettura. Trovo troppo spesso l’Info inutile e non qualcosa che sia realmente relativo. Ringraziamenti per i vostri duri lavori.

sextube April 1, 2011, 7:15 PM

Thank you for sharing. I wish good work.

Orlando Neilly April 2, 2011, 10:59 AM

There are certainly a number of particulars like that to take into consideration. That may be a great level to carry up. I provide the thoughts above as general inspiration however clearly there are questions like the one you bring up the place an important thing will probably be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, however I am positive that your job is clearly recognized as a fair game. Each boys and girls feel the impact of just a second’s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

posthumanism art April 2, 2011, 1:52 PM

I enjoy your wordpress format, where did you get a hold of it?

girls dresses April 2, 2011, 2:42 PM

Just discovered this site through Yahoo, what a pleasant surprise!

Green Smoke Review April 3, 2011, 12:22 AM

Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had to tell someone!

childrens desk chairs April 3, 2011, 12:49 AM

I really like what you guys are usually up too. This sort of clever work and reporting! Keep up the wonderful works guys I’ve you guys to blogroll.

Marpac SleepMate 980A April 3, 2011, 1:05 AM

Yesterday, while I was at work, my sister stole my iPad and tested to see if it can survive a 30 foot drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now broken and she has 83 views. I know this is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

Pozyczka porownanie April 3, 2011, 1:32 AM

F*ckin’ amazing things here. I’m very glad to see your article. Thanks a lot and i am looking forward to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

inversion table review April 3, 2011, 4:46 AM

Hello! Quick question that’s totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My site looks weird when viewing from my iphone 4. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to correct this problem. If you have any recommendations, please share. Cheers!

pua April 3, 2011, 6:02 AM

Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!

wine racks ikea April 3, 2011, 9:56 AM

Today, I went to the beach with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had to tell someone!

how to buy a new car April 3, 2011, 10:15 AM

My developer is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type on a number of websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform. I have heard very good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!

best anti aging cream that works April 3, 2011, 11:20 AM

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your weblog? My website is in the exact same niche as yours and my users would certainly benefit from some of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this alright with you. Thank you!