I'm Pissed! My Friend "Abducted" My Kid!

Weigh in on this one.

worried woman

Lisa from Atlanta writes:

Dear Friendship Court:
My friend April is the consummate practical joker. She never stops. In fact, every time I get a phone call from someone I do not know, I assume it is her pulling a prank on me. Generally, I laugh at her antics ... but the last practical joke was out of line, and I do not plan on ever speaking to April again. My 9-year-old son, Jake, was outside on our driveway shooting baskets. We live in a suburban neighborhood, and though I am neurotic about safety, I let him go outside for a little while alone. Apparently, April was passing by and thought it would be funny to see my reaction to Jake's disappearance, so she coaxed him into the car and drove away. Even Jake tells me he said, "April, I do not think Mommy will think this is funny."

When I looked out the window and did not see Jake, I ran outside like a lunatic and ran up and down my street ringing doorbells and screaming. I called 911... and then April called. I was ranting about Jake's "abduction," and she still let me go on for what seemed like five minutes till she said, "I have him." When she returned with Jake, I grabbed him and went inside and have refused to respond to any of her attempts to communicate since. I would like your readers and you to weigh in on whether I am on solid ground here.

Leslie Adler: Dear Lisa: Can you spell c-e-m-e-n-t? Does April read the newspapers or watch the news? How many years did you age in the few minutes April had Jake? April's attempt at another practical joke was, in this instance, an exercise in bad judgment. I don't know that I could forgive her either.

Friendship Court readers, what do you think?

next: Mister Rogers Will Eat Your Children!
Anna November 6, 2009, 2:20 PM

I cannot believe this! With all the stories of child abductions/murders going on, how could anyone think this is funny??? I would be FURIOUS, so you are definitely right to never talk to this lunatic ever again!

Elise November 6, 2009, 2:44 PM

What this woman did was kidnapping and she should have a visit from the police. I would also not consider her a friend and would never speak to her again. Get rid of the sick b***ch.

Shannon November 6, 2009, 2:45 PM

I’m so sorry your friend is a dumb a$$!!! It is NEVER funny to “steal” a child. You have every right in this world to be mad. You should how ever show your son that ya’ll can learn from this. 1. Never get in the car with anyone unless your mom says it’s okay. 2. Forgive your friend, but tell her that ya’ll can no longer be friends.

Anonymous November 6, 2009, 3:11 PM

what a sicko!

lylerr November 6, 2009, 3:14 PM

I’m so sorry you had to go through that. I would not speak to her after this, she obviously doesn’t really know you at all as this joke was sad and not funny. It really was a kidnapping.

renee November 6, 2009, 5:04 PM

wow! soo not funny!

Jenny November 6, 2009, 5:19 PM

I think I would probably send her a letter telling her how you feel, that she crossed the line and ask her to stop attempting to communicate with you. Keep a copy of the letter and send it certified, she doesn’t seem like she is on an even kilter and you may need the copy one day.

Christina November 6, 2009, 6:36 PM

That is sick. She is not a friend. The fact that the police are not finding bits of her body strewn across the county is a testament to your self-control as far as I’m concerned.

Anonymous November 6, 2009, 6:46 PM

Seems like she’s practicing for something even more psychotic. Get far away from that woman, but keep an eye on her from a distance. That sounds like someone not worth trusting.

MarMar November 6, 2009, 8:06 PM

Run far, far away. You are NOT overreacting. The fact that you didn’t strangle her right there and then show that, imho, you could’ve reacted even more.

blank November 7, 2009, 12:33 AM

thats horrible..never talk to that pyhco bi..h again…

Amanda November 7, 2009, 3:10 AM

1 - obviously your former friend has no children of her own or this would never in a million years seem funny to her.

2 - she crossed the line & it’s okay for you to not forgive her. In time, let go of the anger you have, but this would be something I would never mend a friendship back together after.

Anonymous November 7, 2009, 7:27 AM

that is 100% crossing the line…she is a LOSER!!!!

Marge November 7, 2009, 9:29 AM

What a sick, demented thing to do. I would be telling your story from jail because I would have killed her.

m November 7, 2009, 1:18 PM

that is horrible, you never know what else wouldn’t be beneath her, I wouldn’t let her around my kids either.

Anna November 7, 2009, 6:30 PM

Cut of all contact with this woman.

Anonymous November 7, 2009, 11:10 PM

Restraining order time!

Lisa (mom of 2) November 8, 2009, 6:35 AM

Jenny gave you good advice about the certified letter, but that’s only to cover your own a*s, not because you owe April any explanation. I can’t believe you didn’t punch her right in the face. That is absolutely THE WORST “practical joke” I’ve ever heard of. She’s lucky you haven’t pressed charges against her. I say you are right, don’t ever speak to her again. Write her off. End the friendship. If you forgive her & continue to be friends w/her, you are asking for her to do something even worse. The far-reaching repercussions of a prank like that… I don’t have enough room here to go into them. She’s history.

homemom3 November 8, 2009, 12:18 PM

the fear of a child gone is nothing funny, I say there is no reason to ever speak to her again. Unfortuntately I had a neighbor that was just like this, thankfully she ended up moving out of the country.

Anonymous November 8, 2009, 12:29 PM

over reacting its funny no one got hurt and this is a stupid thing to ruin a friendship over