I'm Pissed! My Friend "Abducted" My Kid!

Weigh in on this one.

worried woman

Lisa from Atlanta writes:

Dear Friendship Court:
My friend April is the consummate practical joker. She never stops. In fact, every time I get a phone call from someone I do not know, I assume it is her pulling a prank on me. Generally, I laugh at her antics ... but the last practical joke was out of line, and I do not plan on ever speaking to April again. My 9-year-old son, Jake, was outside on our driveway shooting baskets. We live in a suburban neighborhood, and though I am neurotic about safety, I let him go outside for a little while alone. Apparently, April was passing by and thought it would be funny to see my reaction to Jake's disappearance, so she coaxed him into the car and drove away. Even Jake tells me he said, "April, I do not think Mommy will think this is funny."

When I looked out the window and did not see Jake, I ran outside like a lunatic and ran up and down my street ringing doorbells and screaming. I called 911... and then April called. I was ranting about Jake's "abduction," and she still let me go on for what seemed like five minutes till she said, "I have him." When she returned with Jake, I grabbed him and went inside and have refused to respond to any of her attempts to communicate since. I would like your readers and you to weigh in on whether I am on solid ground here.

Leslie Adler: Dear Lisa: Can you spell c-e-m-e-n-t? Does April read the newspapers or watch the news? How many years did you age in the few minutes April had Jake? April's attempt at another practical joke was, in this instance, an exercise in bad judgment. I don't know that I could forgive her either.

Friendship Court readers, what do you think?

next: Mister Rogers Will Eat Your Children!
Cindy November 8, 2009, 1:41 PM

Wow. Really, Anonymous posted 11/08/09 12:29 p.m? That’s over reacting? Apparently you do not have kids or nephews/nieces. I don’t have kids but I would hunt down the crazy woman and would have killed her if it were a niece or nephew or even one of my friends’ kids. You really need to check yourself in and get a cot next to the looney woman who abducted the kid, because you’re right up there with her. NUTS. I would hate to see what your practical jokes are.

Kerstyne November 8, 2009, 8:37 PM

While I agree that April absolutely was out of line and it was not funny, I can sympathize with her and see how she might have thought it would be funny. If she has apologized and sees the errors in what she did, and was a really good friend, I would accept her apology and forgive her.

See it her way - she’s a prankster who drove by and spotted him, and completely on a whim thought it would be funny to snatch him. She obviously didn’t think about you calling the police or getting so freaked out you’d leave her. She was simply trying to joke and unfortunately she picked a really awful thing to joke about.

Cheryl November 9, 2009, 6:41 AM

Kerstyne, you are far more forgiving that I could ever be. The fact that she thought abduction would be funny on a whim is what is disturbing. What did she think you were going to do? Sit home and hope he showed up? That kind of thought pattern makes her untrustworthy, and if I can’t trust you, you can’t be my friend.

Anonymous November 9, 2009, 6:48 AM

She was way out of line the fact that she thought this would be funny is very disturbing. She is obviously someone with very bad judgement or a sick twisted mind either way I would stay clear.

Kristin November 9, 2009, 12:33 PM

Maybe you SHOULD press charges. And get a restraining order. Unbelievable.

CC November 9, 2009, 7:24 PM

That was a terrible thing for your friend to do. Causing someone alarm and pain over their child’s safety is NEVER funny. But this offers a very good lesson for you to teach your son. The VAST majority of people who abduct children already know the child and have the child’s trust. Your son trusted April enough to get into the car. Even though she likely meant no actual harm to him, what if she was one of the trusted individuals that truly WOULD abduct and harm your son? Be sure to stress to him that even if it’s someone he knows and trusts, he should never get into a car without your knowledge or permission.

A.F. December 18, 2009, 11:19 PM

Although I do think it was a bad prank on her end, and that I probably would no longer speak to her either, this still serves as a good lesson. 1st off, your son should have been taught not to get into a car with anyone he knew or didn’t know, 2nd your friend should know that you don’t mess with someones child when it comes to playing a prank, and 3rd…this one goes to you mom, with all the things in/on the news lately how could you let your child outside alone. It doesn’t matter what type of neighborhood you live in. You may trust your son to do the right thing, but you can never trust anyone else. What if that wasn’t your friend who took him as a joke. So maybe, you should be happy that you also were taught a valuable lesson from all of this.

small town mom May 22, 2010, 7:32 AM

i agree this person was way out of line and i wouldnt talk to them again. and i do think this is an excellent learning experience for your son. children often dont see the seriousness of matters until something actually serious happens no matter how much you preach. and i disagree with A.F. and i think its horrible to tell you that your not ever allowed to let your children play without constant supervision (as long as they are old enough). you dont want to sufficate your children or teach them to live in fear. they should learn safety and be responsible but your sending the wrong message that they are not trusted.

Golf September 14, 2010, 10:39 AM

In related news, Tiger Woods always gives 110 percent. That is why he gave 100 percent to his wife and still had 10 percent left over for his alleged mistress.

Vunesp October 14, 2010, 9:33 AM

very good, added you to my favorites.

Malorie Harrist December 10, 2010, 11:21 PM

I’d be inclined to check with you on this. Which is not something I typically do! I really like reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

Nicky Helferty December 12, 2010, 9:11 AM

This domain appears to recieve a good ammount of visitors. How do you promote it? It offers a nice individual spin on things. I guess having something authentic or substantial to say is the most important thing.