NBC Rejects PETA Thanksgiving Commercial

PETA's attempt at a family-friendly ad campaign got nixed by NBC.

Got to give them credit for trying. PETA, the largest animal rights organization in the world, finally attempted to get one of their controversial ads on national television. Seemed like a slam dunk. This time, the campaign did NOT involve scantily-clad women engaging in erotic sex play with vegetables. Nope. Instead, a little girl, while saying grace, describes the not-so-good life of the turkey her family is about to eat. The ad ends with the caption, "This Thanksgiving, be glad you're not a turkey." It should also say, be glad you're not an executive at the PETA ad agency, because your work will not be seen on broadcast TV. Or maybe that's their plan?

The ad, which was slated to run during the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade broadcast, was rejected by NBC because they say the "commercial does not meet NBC Universal standards."

Do you think PETA legitimately wanted to get this ad on TV, or is the organization just stirring up controversy again?

next: Teen Skipped School to Rob a Bank
Love Animals November 24, 2009, 12:21 PM

There is nothing wrong with this commercial. I don’t see how it doesn’t “meet” their standards. There are far more worse commercials than this!

Rachel November 24, 2009, 12:27 PM

I can see how it wouldn’t meet their standards. It’s supposed to be shown during the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, which is family viewing. It’s kind of lame on PETA’s part - all they’re going to do is upset children, which they should be ashamed of, really.

Gigohead  November 24, 2009, 12:33 PM

Not sure the ad was going to be effective anyway. Not sure it was going to turn me vegan. I rarely eat full baked turkey (may have sliced processed slices a few times a month) and to make me feel guilty for having it is a cheap shot.

Better luck next time Peta.

Christina November 24, 2009, 1:29 PM

lol…PETA kills me. they’re F’in turkies for christ’s sake. i’m way more concerned with human rights than animal rights any day.

If God didn’t want us to eat animals, he wouldn’t have made them so delicious to eat and drink.

just my opinion

Dara November 24, 2009, 2:19 PM

hahaha. not very effective. i find it more humorous than anything. i get the message, but i agree it would mainly just scare kids.

Laura November 24, 2009, 8:36 PM

There is a place for all God’s creatures… right next to the potatos.

Teri November 24, 2009, 11:14 PM

There’s nothing inaccurate in the ad, there’s no scary imagery, and it’s all true. The problem is people don’t want to hear the gory details about what they’re eating—especially as they’re about to sit down to eat it.

Rachel November 25, 2009, 5:44 AM

@Teri, I don’t know what planet you’re living on, but the imagery could, in fact, be quite scary to a child. The problem with PETA is, they lose their message when they act like lunatics, which is about 95% of the time you hear about them.

Sara November 25, 2009, 6:29 AM

It’s the truth! If people want to eat that stuff they shouldn’t be afraid to hear about the reality of how it gets to their plate.

Ash November 25, 2009, 7:13 AM

If everyone stopped eating meat what is PETA’s plan for all the extra animals running around? Where I live there are a TON of deer! When there are too many they cause a lot of accidents even fatal ones to humans. If they are not killed then they would start to multiply like bunnies. How do you control the deer population? PETA do you have an idea for deer birth control? And PETA is too harsh with the way they try to get their point across. If you act like and as*hole then that’s the way people will treat you. Their bad choices for getting their point across makes people NOT take them seriously. They dont want to be judged because they don’t eat meat so why do they get to judge people who do?

Anonymous November 25, 2009, 8:34 AM

Christina: “turkeys” not “turkies”

And you drink animals? Um… ew.

Nicole November 25, 2009, 12:06 PM

If the dialogue within the commercial was changed just slightly, I bet this commercial would have made it to TV. Peta tries too hard to shock. It gets in the way of rational thought. I am a vegetarian, and I found this commercial to be over the top.

Phil Anthropissed November 25, 2009, 12:32 PM

Children should know the truth about the suffering that goes into relying on a flesh-based diet. They should know the environmental damage and the health problems caused by a flesh-based diet. Then they can make an educated decision instead of drinking the KoolAid of McDonald’s commercials or blindly following their parents and grandparents. If the parents and schools and churches are too ignorant or cowardly to provide the facts about the livestock and slaughter industry, then the humane educators need to do it!

Gigohead  November 25, 2009, 5:29 PM

Oh my God Ash! YOU ARE SOOOO RIGHT! I live in Upstate New York during the summer, but I like to go up in the Fall. Right before hunting season in October, the deer just jump out like crazy and I’ve seen some scary accidents with deers. I’ve seen cars destroyed to the point where I’ve wondered if anyone survived the accident. Hunting is a necessary evil but it helps curb populations.

Robert November 25, 2009, 9:42 PM

Phil, while we are at why not talk about how PETA is against animal research. Yet, their vice president reaps the benefits of the same research they find profane. Why does she not stop taking insulin for her diabetic condition? You know, practice what your preach.

Kristin November 26, 2009, 12:48 AM

Listen, I was vegan for a loooong time and even I think PETA is ridiculous.

How many of you have checked out their deeper goals? Do you have pets? Did you know that they would rather that your pet was dead than living with you? These people are seriously screwed up. I get where they’re coming from but they are coming from it all the wrong way….as usual.

CA November 27, 2009, 8:56 AM

Yeah, the truth is hard to stomach. Let’s ban the truth from reaching the majority, because like, it might make them feel bad!

Someone has to speak out for the animals. The only reason some people hate PETA so much is not because of their ‘over the top’ campaigns, but because these ‘over the top’ campaigns hit close to home.

Veganism is hitting the mainstream, and for a good reason too. For your health, the animals, and our environment. There’s no room for tradition in today’s world.

CA November 27, 2009, 9:00 AM

“Listen, I was vegan for a loooong time and even I think PETA is ridiculous”

Ummmm, if you’re a vegan, you never revert back to not being a vegan. It’s not possible. Sounds to me like you were just health conscious, or doing it for the wrong reasons.

And PETA would rather the millions of unwanted pets and strays were looked after first before you decide to buy from a pet store (puppy mill).

The keyword is ADOPT, not BUY.

cheapviagra9008 August 30, 2010, 11:30 AM
Nikki October 10, 2010, 4:55 PM

Children should be aware of where their food is coming from. They deserve to know what goes on in the world. Children aren’t as brittle as people think. They understand concepts, but you have to explain to them in terms they understand. This commerical would not scare children. Hello?? Ever watch Bambi?? WTF? Also, about the deer thing, give me a break, animals and humans should share this planet. Yeah, people get killed, but how many animals get killed a day? Please. And the only reason they would not air this commerical is because they would loose their Butterball money…which I am sure paid more money for air time!